PDA

View Full Version : pepsi, coke volume down first half...

popologist
10-22-2006, 05:57 PM
this article is posted on the main page of bevnet.

http://bevnet.com/news/2006/10-18-2006-Pepsi_ads.asp

apparently, pepsi-cola is down 7.2%. coke classic is down 4.9%. and, both, diet pepsi and diet coke are down about 5%.

diet mt dew was the only soda in the top ten that increased.

and, we already know from other reports, that coke zero is up 30% from last year. so, it's possible that diet coke and diet pepsi's slide is due to coke zero.

[ 10-22-2006, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: popologist ]

Mr Zabe
10-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Could it also be that more and more diet soda pop drinkers are drinking more bottle water and other low cal beverages (tea,coffee ect).

I use to drink 6 to 8 cans of soda pop a day. Now I drink 4 +/- bottles of spring water and 4 +/-cans of soda pop a day. IMO Americans as a daily habit are drinking more water(coffee,tea) and have cut back on soda pop consumption. Bottle water(drinking tap water too) is healthy and as cheap or cheaper than soda pop.

[ 10-22-2006, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
10-23-2006, 12:59 AM
very possible, zabe.

DrPepperYummy
10-24-2006, 09:06 PM
Yeah I've got to agree about switching to other beverages... after a doctor visit I went from 8 some soda's a day to 8 some bottles of water and tea a day... so someone who almost downs a 12pack a day is lost to bottled water and tea.

God why couldn't bottled water taste like regular drpepper... (especially the sugar cane stuff from dublin, now that would be some water)

DMC
10-25-2006, 05:37 AM
when i was still at coke, our numbers were down this year compared to last year by quite a bit. not so much me (the route drivers) but the salesmen have been on the hotseats all year cuz our numbers were down. and then the salesmen were always on our asses to make sure we delivered EVERY case to our stops.

so, i guess it's nice to see that numbers are down in general, instead of it just being our division. still not good though.

popologist
10-25-2006, 01:39 PM
yeah. i think soda's golden age is over. it's practically politically incorrect to drink soda now. president clinton even pushed to have it removed from school vending machines. and i can't say i blame him... soda's not good for kids... especially the sugary kind.

coke and pepsi will always be icons, but... they're not as powerful as they once were.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
10-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Here in Mexico is completely the opposite, sodas are selling even more... but as Indra Nooyi said in the last conference... Sabritas (the mexican Frito Lay) is the one who gives great results for PepsiCo in Mexico instead of Pepsi sodas...

[ 10-25-2006, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Cokeaholic ]

SURGE
10-26-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Ramón Cokeaholic:
Sabritas (the mexican Frito Lay) is the one who gives great results for PepsiCo in Mexico instead of Pepsi sodas... Thats pretty much true here Frito Lay is really the best preforming segment of Pepsi (along w/ the non-carbs). They are really a chip company first, a new age company second and a soda company 3rd. Clearly though they have invested themselves in areas with strong growth as opposed to the stangnant soda market. Their energy line-up is decent as well especially with the larger sizes.