PDA

View Full Version : Food Fight Over Soda

Mr Zabe
03-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Food Fight Over Soda (http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitness/03/06/soured.onsoda.ap/index.html)

Simply....I could care less. ;) I'm crying Mountain Dew tears over this article. :D

[ 03-06-2006, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

mjb1124
03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm with the beverage industry on this one. Obesity is caused by poor diet/exercise habits, and not by any type of food or beverage in particular. I mean, if you drink 10 glasses of OJ per day, you're still going to gain weight - sure, you're getting more vitamins, but you're also getting a s**tload of sugar.

Mr Zabe
03-06-2006, 12:59 PM
IMO...a good deal (not all situations) of childhood obesity is caused by the break down of the nuclear family. Parents busy working and supporting a family (scraping by,working long hours,spending time home dead tired) are not able to encounter their kids into healthy activities.

A good deal of "TV/Video games and Snack" kids get lost in the shuffle of their parents trying to make ends meet. It's not soda pop or fattening food....it's inactivity and lack of mental stimulation.

There are healthy children and families that work together to stay healty. It just seems that our society seems to ecourage children and adults to be lazy as stress and work are so taxing.

Mr Nethead
03-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Maybe they should switch from HFCS to real sugar. Oddly enough, it would actually be better for us. Iowa wouldn't be very happy though. ;)

When I tried Mexican Coke I was amazed. Not only did the sugar give it a much more pleasant taste, the texture of the soda seemed much lighter to me. It was really great.

Mana211
03-06-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm all for cane sugar, sometimes I take "sugar in the raw" (brown packets of Hawaiian Turbinado Sugar from the initial pressing of the cane, allowing the natural molasses to remain in the crystals) and add it to a diet coke to pep it up a bit. Gotta tell you the foaming is annoying but it tastes better.

I'd be fine with C2 being modded down to C3 or C4 (1/3 or 1/4 the sugar of a regular coke).

You can say what you want about sugar in cokes not being a factor but it is easily 10% or more of my calories in a day. Cutting to only diet drinks would save me a few pounds.

FWIW I'm 6' 1" and 164 pounds right now. I've lost 20 or so pounds just by cutting transfats from my diet. I could probably lose a few more pounds by cutting out my morning dose of Mellow Yellow but I like it...

Dr. Galaga
03-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Seriously, they need to go back to 12 ounce cans in the schools. Why do (not all the way grown) teenagers need over 2 adult servings of pop that is in one plastic bottle? You know they don't drink some and save some!

[ 03-06-2006, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Dr. Galaga ]

POP
03-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr Nethead:
Maybe they should switch from HFCS to real sugar. Oddly enough, it would actually be better for us. Iowa wouldn't be very happy though. ;)

When I tried Mexican Coke I was amazed. Not only did the sugar give it a much more pleasant taste, the texture of the soda seemed much lighter to me. It was really great. BINGO!!!
I would also like to add that naturally sweetened sodas don't taste syrupy.
I hate HFCS and Iowa can kiss my @$$.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-06-2006, 09:47 PM
yeah, screw iowa! lol, anyway yeah real sugar is much much much better tasting and proally a bit better for ya... it would be absolutly delicious to enjoy a real sugar Vault!

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-06-2006, 10:16 PM
I think Dr. Galaga has stumbled upon something. Anyone who knows me knows that I push that point too.

I sort of agree with Miki. It's as simple as the fact that the body stores any calories that aren't burned in a given day. So in excess, OF COURSE soda causes obesity, just like orange juice, milk, salads, hamburgers, and anything else that has calories.

People just need to realize that soda has alot of sugar, and hence, calories. A can of soda has at least 100 calories and a 20oz bottle usually has over 200.

Unless you exercise alot or have a ridiculous metabolism(like Zabe), you will gain weight by intaking more calories than you burn.

But to single out soda specifically is stupid, because they might as well single out milk and fruit juices. If the presence of vitamins ends that discussion, then maybe soda companies should jack their formulae with vitamins like Glaceau or Sobe.

DJHS

Mr Zabe
03-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Unless you exercise alot or have a ridiculous metabolism(like Zabe), you will gain weight by intaking more calories than you burn.
I wish that were the case. LOL I gain weight like anyone else. I do not snack or eat too much junk food. I will not give up soda pop.LOL

(I eat healthy. I love fruit,I limit eating bread,I do not eat/drink milk products and sweets like candy and cakes. Other wise I would become a Zabe Blimp. LOL I also think drinking 4 to 5 16.9oz btls of water a day keeps me healthy (too many pit stops.) LOL I should say, as healthy as I can be with the hand I have been dealt health wise. smile.gif

[ 03-06-2006, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

gregmech26
03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Caffeine and sugar is an addicting combination.

[ 03-06-2006, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: gregmech26 ]

Mr Nethead
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
Well, from what I've read, different types of sugar metabolize in different ways. HFCS could possible be the worst, as one report I read (in Men's Health Magazine) stated that HFCS turns to fat almost immediately. The only way to prevent it is to basically burn off the calories right away.

Of course, it's not just soda that has HFCS. Even chocolate milk has it. That's why I think switching back to sugar in soda would be somewhat helpful. Yeah, soda still wouldn't be very good for us, but it would be a little better at least. (And it would taste much better.)

POP
03-07-2006, 07:04 PM
How does this sound guys?

My beverage will be 110 calories w/ 26 grams of sucrose per 8oz serving.

Mr Zabe
03-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Dizz
Light weight. tongue.gif

POP
03-07-2006, 07:09 PM
Zimman, that's a good thing I hope.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Dizz, that sounds great.

Although most calorie counts don't matter too much(except for the difference between regular and diet), that is definitely on the lower end of calorie counts.

Your product will have less than just about every Pepsi product, I believe.

DJHS

POP
03-07-2006, 09:00 PM
That's a good thing too right DJ?
Btw, I thought you were awesome in Hustle & Flow. =)

Mr Zabe
03-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Dizz,
It's all good. Calories and sugar grams are a passing thought, at least for me. The time and date I drop my body from my daily toil on earth will be a good thing; who the heck cares about blood fat and waist size. Death by soda pop is my one salvation.

<Said with a slight amount of sarcasm. ;) >

[ 03-07-2006, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

POP
03-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Well if you dig my soda, it might extend your time here with us.

*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, cure or prevent any disease."

Haha...