PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Lighting

David J.
10-24-2006, 09:26 PM
How much caffeine does this soda have comapred to Mountain Dew?

It doesn't smell very good, but it tastes pretty good... for a store brand soda.

NRGSLLR@
10-25-2006, 08:31 AM
Never heard of it, but I suspect if Pepsi learns of it, they will oppose the trademark.

Mr Zabe
10-25-2006, 09:18 AM
Store Brand Soda Pop (http://www.americaninventorspot.com/war_of_off_brand_sodas)

Mountain Lighting is sold by Walmart. I beleive Walmart brand soda pop is made by Cox??? Now you should be able to find the caffeine content. smile.gif

golee1
10-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Cott

greg
10-25-2006, 12:11 PM
I would guess COTT on most, if not all, Mass Chain stores generic brands.

DJ HawaiianShirt
10-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by NRGSLLR@:
Never heard of it, but I suspect if Pepsi learns of it, they will oppose the trademark. I don't think so. Just about every store brand citrus knockoff has the word "Mountain" in it.

mjb1124
10-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Yeah...just like every store brand Dr Pepper clone has "Dr" or "Mr" in its name.

jdavidb
10-26-2006, 04:07 PM
If you like Mountain Lightning, you might like Citrus Drop, from Kroger. It's much sweeter and less harsh than regular Dew. It also comes in a tolerable (for me) diet.

They also have a Drop Red, which I think is supposed to be like Code Red, but I recently tried it for the first time and found it to be quite unique. I really like it, and I'm adding it in as one of the few non-diet sodas I'll drink on a regular basis (gotta stick to diet due to calorie consumption smile.gif ). Drop Red recently came out with a diet, but it's only available in a two-liter.

jdavidb
10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Store Brand Soda Pop (http://www.americaninventorspot.com/war_of_off_brand_sodas)

Mountain Lighting is sold by Walmart. I beleive Walmart brand soda pop is made by Cox??? Now you should be able to find the caffeine content. smile.gif Got excited about that link, because I'm looking for a page with store brand soda caffeine content, but it doesn't seem to have any actual numbers.

The page also incorrectly identifies the Big-K line of drinks as coming from K-Mart, when it's from Kroger.

iluvsurge220
10-27-2006, 12:16 AM
Doesn't Citrus Drop have Vitamin C in it? I know there is an off brand citrus pop that has Vitamin C in it but I'm not sure if it is that one or not.

jdavidb
10-27-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by iluvsurge220:
Doesn't Citrus Drop have Vitamin C in it? I know there is an off brand citrus pop that has Vitamin C in it but I'm not sure if it is that one or not. Not to my knowledge. I did just pick up an empty can of Drop Red on my desk, and it contains orange juice from concentrate, which surprised me. But it says it's not a significant source of vitamin C. I suppose it's possible the regular Citrus Drop has it, but I doubt it. I'll try to remember to check.

jdavidb
10-27-2006, 08:16 AM
Incidentally, I decided to try the Diet Drop Red 2-liter last night. I thought it was very good. It was noticeably less smooth than the regular variety. It tasted a lot like Diet Code Red, to me. Which is interesting because you can no longer get Diet Code Red in Kroger in my area. It just sort of silently disappeared. Then Kroger seems to have decided to introduce Diet Drop Red. I wish it came in cans, though, but honestly I like the regular variety so much it's on my short list of non-diet sodas I'm going to let myself buy regularly.

Does Diet Code Red still exist?

David J.
10-27-2006, 11:15 AM
In very few areas it exists.

craz22
10-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Citrus Drop is way better than Mountain lightening...My wife who only can drink diet coke and who can sip on Mt dew, Vault, Mello Yello, and the Drop...and not hate it. She says the Lightening from Wal-mart its a no go. I would not reccomend it

Mr Zabe
10-27-2006, 08:34 PM
I agree. ML is not a good MD facsimile. IMO non of Walmart brand soda pops are any good.

[ 10-27-2006, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

David J.
10-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I agree they aren't as good as mountain dew... but since it's oh so cheap it's fine by my standards.

Splashofdew
11-18-2006, 01:57 AM
I have had every generic pop from Walmart and they all are gross. I love Mountain Dew and nothing beats the taste of it.