PDA

View Full Version : Dew Refreshes Image in '07

SURGE
10-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Very interesting article by BrankWeek came out about 2 days ago detailing a major shift in Dew strategy. No more Do the Dew or extreme sports marketing. Risky move but I suppose it makes sence at this point.

Check it out:
http://www.brandweek.com/bw/magazine/current/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003286441

David J.
10-25-2006, 07:20 PM
My mom sneaks a few mountain dew's here and there... so yeah people in thier 50's do extreme things too. tongue.gif

Mr Zabe
10-25-2006, 07:23 PM
LOL
Your Mom is the bomb. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
As long as MD looks and tastes like good old Mountain Dew...then I'm a happy camper. This new marketing/branding sounds like a winner. smile.gif

iowacity
10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
I hope they bring back the hillbillies, but I doubt that'll happen!

Ram0n C0keah0lic
10-25-2006, 10:10 PM
It sounds like when Sprite got rid of the pimps... :D

Like the article said, it's a risky move... after 13 years of positioning Mountain Dew as a soda for extreme, active and fearless people, now they take it to another level... How will people react about the new Pepsi and Mt. Dew marketing moves?

01GTB
10-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Bring back the Hillbilly! :D

NRGSLLR@
10-26-2006, 09:29 AM
I vote for the Hillbilly, YAHOO for Mountain DEW.

NRGSLLR@
10-26-2006, 09:29 AM
Or was it Wahoo!

CStoreCatMan
10-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Mountain Dew has been my grandfather's favorite drink for as long as I can remember. I think he's about 80 now and still loves it!

jblaviback
10-26-2006, 12:10 PM
What if they did bring back the Hillbilly Logo? I mean Mt. Dew is popular with the Nascar fans and small towners. Which could be considered the Hill Billys of today.
http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/1b/c1/3c_1.JPG

SURGE
10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by jblaviback:
What if they did bring back the Hillbilly Logo? I mean Mt. Dew is popular with the Nascar fans and small towners. Which could be considered the Hill Billys of today.
I think it would be a really cool angle to take again especially if they conveyed the retro-ness in some way and made it very inviting (perhaps comic ads?).

01GTB
10-26-2006, 01:51 PM
It would be cool to see the retro Hillbilly logo, but I don't think it would fly in today's world. It would likely anger some people that it would not have angered 40 years ago. And on top of that, they probably would not even know why they were angry about it. And others would likely shy away from anything that seemed like it was being marketed toward country folk. I don't think the youth market would gravitate toward it :D

PepsiBlue
10-27-2006, 07:04 AM
They just changed the label a year ago or so, so I dont think they are going to change that anytime soon.
Then again I could be wrong, they didnt have the dark green label for too long in the mid-late 90s.

iluvsurge220
10-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I think the hillbilly logo would be cool to bring back but I guarantee that someone somewhere will be offended by it and complain and try to get it changed. It seems like everyone is offended by something these days. Colleges with Indian names and mascots have been forced to change their names because they dont want to offend the Indians and on and on. I think it's stupid. What's the big deal? I can't stand people who complain all the time. They should at least put the pick axe back in or whatever it was.

RubberDucky
11-26-2006, 10:15 PM
i think mountain dew is a little imtimidated by vault.. thats why they're changing their image. same thing with mdx, thats why they changed to 20 oz. bottles cause vault was beating it. i read this somewhere, that for the first half of 2006. vault sold 0.9% market share or something, and mdx only had 0.1% market share.. i think it was vaultkicks.org

RubberDucky
11-26-2006, 10:21 PM
ok... it was 0.6%

heres what i read

Coke, per Beverage Digest, Bedford Hills, N.Y. Vault grabbed a 0.6% share for the first half of the year, putting it on the same scale with minor brands like Barq's root beer.

Coke announced it will launch Vault Red Blitz in March to compete with Mountain Dew's Code Red. MDX grabbed a 0.1% share for the first half of the year.

Splashofdew
11-27-2006, 01:34 AM
I love Dew and have always liked the Do the Dew slogan so I will be kinda sad to see it go. I love the label and the color scheme.I like the Hillbilly but agree that it might offend some people.People are touchy nowadays. And I don't think the kid's nowadays would understand it.They need something edgy and hip but not stupid.Commercials nowadays are so stupid.Ever seen a Sierra Mist commercial for example?Lol.I hope they don't change it too much to be unrecognizeable because they will lose sales.Dew is the best soda on the planet.(Then Cherry Coke)Lol.So let's see what happens.I think they need a change but not too much or they are in trouble.

CStoreCatMan
12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by RubberDucky:
i think mountain dew is a little imtimidated by vault.. thats why they're changing their image. same thing with mdx, thats why they changed to 20 oz. bottles cause vault was beating it. MDX 14oz was already dead before Vault came out...so it wasn't Vault that caused the move to 20oz. MDX as a brand was poorly managed and Pepsi didn't have a good story behind it. There was confusion around where it fit in terms of beverage categories - they went back and forth between CSD and energy. This is what caused its demise - plus poor distribution and a high price point.

I can tell you as a Pepsi employee, we're not really concerned with Vault. In my market its doing enough sales to be discontinued in most c-stores by mid 2007. Plus, Vault Zero has already been pulled by Coke in the SoCal market.

[ 12-01-2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: CStoreCatMan ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
12-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by CStoreCatMan:
I can tell you as a Pepsi employee, we're not really concerned with Vault. In my market its doing enough sales to be discontinued in most c-stores by mid 2007. Plus, Vault Zero has already been pulled by Coke in the SoCal market. You said it... as a Pepsi employee...

I hope Vault is doing well in Texas, cause I need to try it next December 26...

Mr Zabe
12-01-2006, 11:21 PM
MrR
I found some 20oz Vault at my local Dollar Tree store. You will find Vault when you visit.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
12-02-2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the update MrZ! :D

SURGE
12-04-2006, 06:34 PM
I don't think anybody expected huge numbers from VAULT from places where citrus sodas do notoriously poor (northeast and so-cal). I mean these are very weak spots for Dew so not a big surprise. As for Zero I think it was a shot in the dark but it seems to be doing quite well in the regions that matter.