PDA

View Full Version : PEPSI "Sports Series" cans 14oz

Irishpepsi04
01-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi all! I found a 15-pack of Pepsi 14-oz cans "Sports Series" at a local Walmart last night. It was coded, "TT" instead of the usual "WW" that is for the Seattle Pepsi production factory. Anyone know more about the Pepsi "Sports Series"? On the can it shows Daytona Speedway on it, and on the box it says 15-pack and "2 oz More than 12-oz" Brian

Android
01-29-2005, 05:39 PM
I also saw those the other day at Wallyworld, they seemed a little over-priced to me as well, so I didn't buy any. Don't know anything else about them though.

andy

fusion
01-29-2005, 06:28 PM
A friend spotted the Jeff Gordon/California Speedway Diet Pepsi packs in Florida. Canned in Columbia, SC (SS).

I'm not sure about the TT code.. maybe Torrance CA?

drpep
01-29-2005, 06:48 PM
I've been told the series is exclusive to China-mart. There will be new cans released every few weeks. Diet Pepsi, Mt Dew, Pepsi and Sierra Mist are the flavors invlolved. Nascar, soccer and bmx or some kind of bike sport will be on the cans.
The cartons for each flavor list what cans they will have.

XLS_04
01-30-2005, 01:17 AM
Too bad they were not 16oz, atleast 14oz is good though. I wonder if Coke will come out with a 14oz can now also.

Irishpepsi04
01-30-2005, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
A friend spotted the Jeff Gordon/California Speedway Diet Pepsi packs in Florida. Canned in Columbia, SC (SS).

I'm not sure about the TT code.. maybe Torrance CA? I know where TT may tend to be located at. What I meant is I was surprised to notice 'TT' inside King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties, which tend to be WW. Looks like the WW at Seattle probably don't do the series, or in the near future?. The 'TT' is likely Mt. Angel, Oregon or Yakina, WA. I noticed in one of the regular Pepsi cans with a TT code on it, it had three locations shown on the can. Brian

fusion
01-30-2005, 10:14 PM
With the specialty packages, it is probably cheaper to have one facility run them, and then just ship them to other places, rather than get the raw materials shipped to a lot of different facilities and then do the production runs.

Not to mention that some facilities may not actually be able to run a taller can, if they are using older equipment.

CCE tapes their fridgepacks together in most places because the machinery can't grab a single fridge pack. They have to "fool" it into thinking that two of them together is a 24 pack slab, which it can handle.

A few examples come to mind of packages that aren't run in a lot of places, at least around here.

CCE Richmond VA produces 6 pack 24 ounce for six states. I have seen their product as far away as Pittsburgh.

Silver Spring MD produces 8 pack (formerly 12 pack) PET fridgepacks for the entire Mid-Atlantic division of CCE. Since none of the other divisions around it are selling this package yet, I can't say whether or not they are going to be producing it for other areas.

Most newer facilities are set up with multiple lines, whereas older facilities are dedicated to one package.

I work for CCE in Maryland, and here's what we mostly get:

2 liters & 1 liters from Alexandria VA
all forms of can packages from Baltimore MD
20oz and PET Fridgepacks from Silver Spring MD
16.9oz and 24oz 6 packs from Richmond VA
8oz cans (6 and 15 packs) from Mid-Atlantic Canners in Hamburg PA
MM Light 4 pack PET and 8 pack cans from Hartford CT

Richmond also produces cans, 20oz, 1 liters, and 2 liters. We get some stuff from them from time to time, when the other dedicated facilites can't meet our demands.

Dasani comes mostly from Richmond, though we do get some from Washington PA and Maspeth, Queens NY.

We will also get some stuff from time to time from Twinsburg OH. That facility can also run all packages, and has a Dasani line as well.

There have also been times when the have to truck stuff in from even further, like 8 pack Minute Maid Lights and 6 pack Classic from College Park GA, Dasani 20oz from Eagan MN, 24oz Diet Coke 6 pks from Cleveland TN... We have also had to call on Coke Consolidated for the old 12 pack PET Fridgepacks and Full Throttle.

Most Powerade, Nestea and MM Juices come from Northampton MA, though some come from Chattanooga TN and Waco TX. Once in a blue moon we'll get some from Chicago IL.

I know my codes. lol.

bigrich
01-30-2005, 10:50 PM
Are all these places that these cans are showing up in PBG areas? I have not seen them in PAS territory. I have to check some cities around me served from WIS-PAK, they often do odd size cans like 16oz and half liter.

fusion
01-30-2005, 11:04 PM
The area in Florida that they were spotted is PBG. Seattle is also PBG.

I'm going to probably go into some Wal-Marts in PBG Wilmington DE territory in the next few days, and I'll be looking for them.

I don't expect to see them in the area in Maryland I work in, because an independent distributor services those areas for Pepsi. Even though he buys from PBG, they don't carry a lot of stuff that PBG produces. They also still sell the whole route off of a regular side load truck, which is pretty archaic.

They also have Dr Pepper, which is a bad thing, imho. They don't take care of the brand, in my opinion.

teamtitan512
01-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Pepsi couldn't care less about Dr Pepper. I'm amazed they even have Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper. I'll shut up about Pepsi for good if Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper lands in any store in Cumberland.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-31-2005, 08:31 PM
selling routes may be archaic, but it also is what either the union decries or they just don't see enough demand for bulk routes. we still service all chain accounts with side load trucks, and sometimes that means 12-16 pallets on a side load trailer.

fusion
01-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Well, they do also have 2 12-pallet box trucks. And the owner also owns a trucking company. He uses that company to pick up stuff from PBG production... and I do also remember them making some deliveries, but not recently.

But with 2 Super Wallys opening in our area this year, something's gotta change!

bigrich
02-03-2005, 09:16 PM
The cans finally showed up here in Indianapolis Metro area. They are PAS product from code AG. I am unsure of the production facility. Probably Indianapolis or Austin, Indiana.

popcan.org
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
I have listed all the cans released so far in this series so far on my website POPCAN.ORG (http://www.popcan.org)

With some of the cans in the series has not been released so far.

[ 03-29-2005, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: popcan.org ]

wonkapete
04-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Anyone into collecting the 14oz Sport Series cans? Anyone want to trade? I have access to them in my area but really don't want to buy 15-20 cartons just to get all the different cans. Thanks!

drpep
04-21-2005, 08:45 PM
These cans have shown up in Wegmans.

fusion
04-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Around here, Sports series Dew 15 packs have changed to the new logo. Produced at YE (Cheverly MD).

popcan.org
04-27-2005, 10:51 AM
The 14oz Dew sport series cans that are only available at Wal-Mart's also changed their logo?

Oh great, my wife is going to love me - We spent about a week, many miles in the car to many different wal-marts to get the current 15 cans that are available.

I know that a limited edition Jeff Gordon Pepsi can "Drive for Five" in this series should be out very soon, and now I need to get some of the same cans with new logo's on them!

http://www.popcan.org

Will have to go searching!

fusion
04-27-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, the boxes changed to the new logo. I don't know about the cans inside.

[ 04-27-2005, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: fusion ]

popcan.org
04-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I went to the wal-mart near me last night, and they still have the old boxes for the 14oz cans - so I will check again next week.

popcan.org
05-02-2005, 01:18 AM
Checked my local wal-mart, did see some cases with the new logo, but the cans inside are still the old design.

I will have to keep an eye on them - since the promotion is suppose to go on most of the summer, don't know if they would make new cans with the new logo or not.

fusion
05-02-2005, 10:15 PM
I saw a busted open 15 pack today.. the cans inside did have the new logo.

popcan.org
05-13-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm still waiting for new logo cans for the 14oz dew cans at my Wal-Mart. The boxes are updates, just have not seen the cans yet.

And I have not seen any new designs which should be out soon. (Baseball mostly.) Plus there was suppose to be a special Jeff Gordon 14oz can (black) released in March, but no one has seen that either.

popcan.org
05-13-2005, 02:19 PM
Scratch that - Just checked eBay, and there is someone trying to sell the new Jeff Gordon 14oz black "drive for five" can.

pepsi/NASCAR promoted this can at one of the NASCAR races a few months ago - says it was going to be very limited and released in March. Well May is close... :)