PDA

View Full Version : Time to restock the West Jefferson supply

01GTB
10-26-2006, 03:16 AM
Well, probably. Not certain yet, but I will likely be making a run up to Virginia in a few weeks. Then, again maybe three weeks after that. I don't know if I will be able to get by WJ both times, but I am kind of hoping so, since I will not be taking the truck. Like last year, I will probably take a small rental SUV and might have room room for 20 cases the first time, if I am lucky. The next time probably half that number.

Last year's supply went till about May before it started getting kinda "light." 15 cases does not last long between two people. If you don't limit yourself to one bottle a day, it's gone in no time. Let a few others have a few bottles and it's starts getting scarce in three months redface.gif I did hold on to about 18 bottles of Dr Pepper and broke into them a few weeks ago. They still tasted pretty good for an 11 month-old drink.

On my way up I will probably go my usual way, I-95 to I-40 to Durham, then up 501. Where near an exit on 40 can I pick up some Sanford Coke and Dr Pepper? Also, is there anything worth looking for off of I-81, say from Staunton to Winchester? If the weather is decent, I may head up that way and bike a bit more of the C&O.

Mr Zabe
10-26-2006, 04:39 AM
I can still remeber the pictures you posted of your WJ Dr Pepper from your last trip. smile.gif To say the lest I am envious.LOL When you do go, have a nice trip. (Don't drink and drive. LOLOLOL)

[ 10-26-2006, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

drpep
10-26-2006, 08:46 PM
My best guess for Sanford Coke and Dr Pepper would be exit 319 and go south to Lillington. I know that Harnett County is Sanford territory. I found both at an IGA 3 years ago. I've never been to Angier which is the town nearest the Harnett County border on 210 off of 40, you might get lucky there with at least Coke. If you do decide to go as far as Lillington you may want to get off 95 at Dunn, exit 73. After Lillington you can take 401 to catch 40 near Raleigh. Last few times I've stopped in Sanford Dr Pepper was hard to find. This year it took me 3 stores before I found any and 4 before I found 6 packs. Prices for Sanford Coke in the city of Sanford have ranged from $2.99 a 6 pack to the $4.19.

Cheer-wined
10-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Coke Sanford does not service all of Harnett Co. Dunn and Erwin (towns closest to I-95) are in CCBCC territory, unless that has changed recently. The north part of Harnett (Lillington and not much else up there) are in Coke Sanford territory. Campbell University is in Buies Creek, between I-95 and Lillington, it is pretty much a wide spot in the road and I don't think they deliver that far.

I-40 doesn't cross their territory at all.

You might want to call them 919-774-4111 and ask for a location, I have always found the Ingram family that owns the business to be very helpful and friendly.

01GTB
10-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys. What about some Frostie and Hires?

Cheer-wined
10-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Frostie is easy to find at Lowe's Foods or Ingles supermarkets. Ingles always has a big selection of Frostie in glass and 2L. We have both stores in West Jefferson and both sell Frostie.

For Hires you should look around Concord NC. The Sundrop bottler distributes 2L, 20oz and 6-pack cans, mostly through indy supermarkets and c-stores. Their territory is small and they use most of their grocery shelf space for Sundrop, but you can find Hires 2L's here and there.

The Wil-mar Checker Mart in Concord is where I buy Hires 6-packs. Hires can also be found around Statesville (I-77/I-40), Salisbury (I-85), Mooresville (I-77).

Unfortunately DPWJ does not make Hires in glass, only A&W.

[ 10-26-2006, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Cheer-wined ]

fusion
10-26-2006, 11:03 PM
CCE Marietta GA production and Union City Coke also produce 8oz glass Dr Pepper, but it is not easily found along the east coast. I found it to be pretty readily available from Tullhoma TN Coke, Pulaski TN Coke and CCE in parts of TN and AL as well.

As far as Staunton to Winchester, I can't think of anything rare. Dr Pepper in Staunton has Dew and Sierra Mist, which is unusual, though (Pepsi has 7up and Cheerwine). I remember probably 5 years ago they had some Dublin DP 6 packs, but that must have been a one time deal, because they've never had them since, from what I've seen.

Someone also has WJ longnecks in that area, because I found RC and Cheerwine longnecks at the BP/McDonald's in Fairfield (exit 200 off of 81). My guess is that it's AABC.

01GTB
10-26-2006, 11:29 PM
You guys are just a wealth of information. Thanks :cool:

jdavidb
10-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Is Sanford another bottler that makes cane sugar Dr Pepper (and Coke)?

drpep
10-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Good luck calling Sanford, you will not get a real person to answer(at least during the 5 times I have called over the period of 2 years) but they are good at calling back.

01GTB
10-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by jdavidb:
Is Sanford another bottler that makes cane sugar Dr Pepper (and Coke)? I believe it is HFCS sweetened, in glass bottles.

BTW, I will be hunting for Barbecue as well :D Sweatman's near Holly Hill SC is on the list for sure, like last time.

doug1885
10-30-2006, 03:28 PM
Have you tried the fountains near West Jefferson? I've had some very tasty Dr Pepper from Pepsi fountains in the Mt. Airy, NC area.

-Doug

Cheer-wined
11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by 01GTB:

BTW, I will be hunting for Barbecue as well :D Sweatman's near Holly Hill SC is on the list for sure, like last time. OK it's not on your way but Pete Jone's Skylight Inn near Ayden is a must-eat. If you have time for a diversion, you won't regret it.

01GTB
11-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Never been there, but I have heard plenty of people talking about it.

01GTB
11-16-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm taking off Saturday and should make it by WJ early next week. It has become very clear that I am not going to get all I need in one trip :eek: It's been a year since I went last time, and that stock has been long gone. I could get what I need, but too many others know about this stuff now and are asking for me to pick them up a case or two of this and a case or two of that.

I have no idea even what the rental place is giving me. It says F150 or similar. The problem is payload. I would have been much better off taking my truck, but it just wasn't possible. I have to go back up to Va again in two weeks. I thought renting a truck would solve the problem, but it is very likely I will have to make the detour over to WJ again.

So a warning to any of you that ever make pilgrimage to WJ...make sure you keep it quiet. Don't let too many know about the glass bottles lurking in your refrigerator. Just play stupid :D

Mr Zabe
11-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Have a safe and mega A-List trip. smile.gif
"Drink em if you got em"

Cheer-wined
11-18-2006, 09:30 AM
They've been running Red Rock cola so it's in stock and fresh, if you like a good cane sugar cola go for it. Also saw some Welch's and Crush coming off the lines.

drpep
11-21-2006, 08:22 PM
01GTB if you are still looking for Sanford Coke bottled Dr Pepper you should know that the bottles are sold in Coca Cola six pack carriers NOT Dr Pepper carriers.
Well this may be too late I think you have left already.

[ 11-21-2006, 08:22 PM: Message edited by: drpep ]

01GTB
11-23-2006, 02:44 AM
It's too late this time, but I will be going right up through the same area 9 days from now smile.gif

Cheer-wined, you know what? I saw it sitting there and was going to get a couple cases of it and it slipped my mind redface.gif I had the truck full and it would not hold any more anyway, but I could have gotten a few less Dr Peppers. But I just totally forgot it until right now :(

On a side note, I did not escape the town of West Jefferson without stirring up trouble :eek: On my way out I went up to Ingles and picked up a few packs of Frostie and was looking for an air compressor to cram 10 more pounds of air in my back tires. I went down to the station, kind of directly down the hill from there, and the hose didn't even have a tire chuck on it. It was one of those pay-for-air deals and they usually don't do a very good job anyway. I decided to head back out 163 toward 16 and I saw a little convenience store with a hose out, like it might be hooked to a real compressor. I was going to buy gas there, but it said something about cash or Citgo cards only. I didn't have any cash left after leaving the warehouse, so I walked in and bought a Mt. Dew. I asked the guy if the air hose was hooked up and if I could use it. Then I opened my mouth and made a comment about needing to air up the tires because I had 57 cases of this stuff in the bed :D Big mistake! The guy asks how much all that cost and I told him. He said "well what are they charging you for a case?" I spit out the $14.50 price and he's steaming! :eek: He grabs his last invoice and says "that's bull****! That's what I am paying!" Hell, who knew? :eek: He was absolutely disgusted that I just paid the same thing for it that he pays. I mean damn, what do they think, I am going to drive from Florida and pay 89 cents a bottle for it?

[ 11-23-2006, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

01GTB
11-23-2006, 05:30 AM
I thought I would go ahead and add a little more while this is fresh on my mind, and since here it is 5am and I just got the truck unloaded.

First I rented a truck pretty much for the sole purpose of doing this. I was going to rent a car to go to Virginia, so the added cost of a truck was not that great. Plus it was a pretty decent truck. A 06 F150 with the Payload Package, which translates to being able to carry more than 2300lbs. Mine will haul more weight, but it's a short bed.

Last week the weather for this week didn't look too bad. I spent time with the family on Sunday and Monday. Then Tuesday rolled around and the weather was looking bad. I held off on leaving until today. It was a total wash. It rained all the way to WJ, but it wasn't raining there. I put my bottom tarp down in the bed, loaded up the back and pulled out. As I pulled out it started raining pretty good. I tried to find a dry spot (turned out to be a local carwash) but it was too late. My bottom tarp was acting like a bathtub. My intention was to wrap the bottom all the way to the top, then put the top tarp on. In theory it would have worked. But I didn't get it on in time. Regardless, I spend 30 minutes or more securing the top tarp.

It rained for at least 10 of the 15 hours I drove today. I think I have gotten 4 hours of sleep in the last 40. But I am not even sure about that. I get here and get this stuff unloaded, and the whole bottom of half of the cases is wet. I have to carefully unload them so they don't just fall out. It smells like a paper mill in the garage. I have no idea what I am going to do with the bottles in these wet cases. We're talking a half of a ton of weight, so I can't just throw them in a cabinet. (Note to self: Save old cases if they are in good shape. They may come in handy one day. )

I was thinking this morning that I would get a few cases of the stuff I had never tried, give it a good sampling, then next week pick up more of what I like. Screw that! I've got plenty. If I were to stack it in one block it would be 3x3 and as tall as the ceiling. After today I'll have to think long and hard before I do this again.

01GTB
11-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Well, I am leaving in the morning headed back up to Va. I will be roughly 200 miles from WJ again ;) It's been a week since I got back and the pain in the butt that it was has kind of faded from memory.

Must resist left turn at 421 :D

Some pics from the last haul.

Trying to get the tarp on at the carwash...

http://home.comcast.net/~01gtb/wj7.jpg

Most but not all of it...

http://home.comcast.net/~01gtb/wj4.jpg

Mr Zabe
11-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Say did Coke come out with a milk bone soda pop. LOL Mutt Soda LOLOLOLOLOL
Very nice haul. smile.gif

01GTB
11-30-2006, 11:40 PM
LOL :D That served as a replacement box for the Nehi Orange's case that was destroyed by moisture. There is actually Orange Crush in the 7Up box.

CitrusCola
12-03-2006, 10:26 AM
I made my first trip to the West Jefferson bottling plant this past week. I must admit, I was a bit disappointed. I only drink diet drinks, and the only ones they could sell me in glass bottles were Diet Dr. Pepper (which I bought) and Diet Cheerwine (which I can get easily in stores close to my home). They had Diet Sun Drop, but could not sell it due to "contractual obligations." Also, the guy there told me that they no longer bottle Mountain Dew (regular or diet).

I did get some RC, 7 Up, and Nu Grape in glass bottles for my family.

I also stopped by the Checker Mart in Concord recently and bought a 6-pack of Hires Root Beer for my brother. (Thanks for the tip, Cheer-wined!) Strangely enough, the Checker Mart also had the glass bottled Diet Sun Drops (from W. Jefferson) for sale. I bought a few of those, too.

fusion
12-03-2006, 07:41 PM
I guess that means that RC Winchester is the only non-Pepsi bottler of Dew (and Dr Pepper Staunton is the only non-bottling non-Pepsi distributor left).

[ 12-03-2006, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

mofizz
12-04-2006, 09:46 AM
I don't know about that. We recieved 4 fresh pallets of Dew from WJ last Thursday. They haven't informed us if they indeed have quit Dew.

mtndew1948
12-04-2006, 11:30 AM
I just called WJ and they said they do have 12oz glass mtn dew, maybe someone else could call them to confirm that answer, I am work so I didn't have lots of time to spend questioning them on the phone!!!(phone number is easy to find). I know they have told me in the past they don't have time to produce any 2 liters of dew or diet dew.

01GTB
12-07-2006, 03:20 AM
I saw more pallets of Mountain Dew this time than last. I bought 2 more cases on Monday.

CitrusCola
12-07-2006, 06:04 PM
My brother went with me to West Jefferson last week and bought his drinks from the same guy right after I got mine. I double checked with my brother about the Mountain Dew because I knew that he had wanted to get a case of it. My brother said that the man told him, "we don't have Mountain Dew anymore." He said that the man also tried to talk him into buying Nehi grape instead of Nugrape and added that that he thought that they should stop bottling Big Red and the Cool Mountain drinks because they "don't sell well."

I do know that I did not see any cases of Mountain Dew anywhere while I was there. I hope they still do bottle it. Oh, well... maybe next year I can find out.

01GTB
12-07-2006, 06:41 PM
I don't know what to tell ya. I was there on November 22 and they had Dew, and I was there on December 4th and they had it. The ones I bought on Monday have the same production date as the ones I bought two weeks ago. I don't know where else it would have been. It's sitting right next to the door at the warehouse. It was the warehouse (the place on 163) that you went to, right? I mean you can see everything that was available with your own eyes.

mofizz
12-08-2006, 10:18 AM
I know they have it. There may be some pending lawsuit right now that allows them to sell only to Pepsi Bottlers.

Cheer-wined
12-10-2006, 08:38 AM
regular Mountain Dew is still being bottled by DPWJ. The diet was the only one discontinued. They dropped it when they changed bottles because of prop 65.

DPWJ doesn't distribute Sundrop here because Coke has the franchise.

But about them discontinuing Dew - forget that.

fusion
12-10-2006, 07:43 PM
That's great news, Cheer-wined!