PDA

View Full Version : Coke In Other Countries?

jblavit
01-31-2005, 05:11 PM
I Heard from someone that Coke tastes different depending on the country. Is this true or just made up?

Android
01-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Go to a grocery store that has a section for Hispanic customers and buy a Mexican Coke and see! The largest difference is the sweetener, in the USA they always use corn syrup (HFCS) instead of real cane sugar. When Coke phased in HFCS in place of sugar, they claimed that you couldn't tell the difference, but most people will disagree.

andy

jblavit
01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the information, what about a coke from Africa or China would these have there own unique taste as well?

SamC
01-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Coca-Cola syrup is Coca-Cola syrup the world over, except for the switch between HFCS and sugar depending on which is less expensive in that market. HFCS generally in more moderate climates, sugar in the tropics.

da987
02-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Living in England, we get a lot of imported sodas from Europe. It seems that it is cheaper for someone to import Coke from say Spain or Germany, than it is to buy English Coke from the Wholesaler.

I just picked up this week a Diet Coke made in Poland from a local take away in my village.

Regarding the difference in taste. All of the Diet Coke's taste the same to me, no matter where thay are from. But the Coke's, now that's different.

UK Coke has a slight citrus taste that I have not tasted in any other country. European Coke seems a little flatter to me and tastes more like Coke Classic in the US.

From reading press releases also about Diet Coke with Lemon, they do say that taste does vary around the world, so sometimes the drink is altered to suit certain market's taste.

[ 02-04-2005, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: da987 ]

Jonsson8
02-05-2005, 06:38 PM
I'm in Sweden and I'd say that they might taste different in different countries. I've bought Coke imported from Poland and Germany at some stores in town and they're both different from the Coke made in Sweden. And I would think that this is the case with other countries as well, especially countries far away. Haven't tried American Coke yet although a local store carries imported Coke Classic so I'll have to give that a try sometime to compare it to the domestic European Coke I've tried.

yankees26mlb
02-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Mexican Coke tastes a lot better and sweeter