PDA

View Full Version : Vault, Energy or not?

redchucks219
03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Does anyone else think that considering Vault an energy drink is wrong? It just has a little more caffeine than it's competitors but thats it. Not even a trace of a traditional energy drink ingredient like Guarana or Taurine. It just bugs me that a high caffeine beverage can be considered an energy drink. I'd like to hear some other opinions on this.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-09-2006, 06:02 PM
No, it's not an energy drink. Coke should take the wording off Vault's label.

DJHS

CStoreCatMan
03-09-2006, 06:06 PM
IMO...I haven't seen anyone calling it an energy drink. And even though Vault's tagline says "drinks like a soda, kicks like an energy drink" - I haven't seen Coke try to position it as an energy. However, I've seen people compare it to MDX - and to your point that would be incorrect since Vault does not have energy ingredients and MDX does. All it has is more caffeine. So, if you can't already tell, I agree with you!

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-09-2006, 06:09 PM
I knew someone would say that, and I know that. But I think it's a cheap trick toward consumers to have the words "energy drink" on their soda bottle. I honestly think it's stupid.

Vault's caffeine is not much larger than Mt Dew, so they should just keep marketing it for what it is: a citrus soda.

DJHS

CStoreCatMan
03-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Of course they'll use the energy drink craze to "assist" their efforts! WHY?

Because Coke needs all the help they can get versus the GRANDPAPPY - MOUNTAIN DEW!!! LOL.

Mr Zabe
03-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Gee,I did not know ignorance was a cheep human trick. :D Your saying that reading a soda pop label requires more direct English? LOL I'm not so sure but we can agree to disagree on this one. smile.gif

Mr Nethead
03-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Vault's caffeine is not much larger than Mt Dew,
I disagree. If you drink a liter of Vault you'll get 188 milligrams of caffeine. If you drink a Mountain Dew, you'll get a paltry 144. Dew is weak. ha ha!

Actually, I think "weak" is how I would describe Dew as far as flavour and even carbonation. Every Dew I've ever drank has been sorta flat. (With the exception of some fountains) Even the cans feel soft for some reason. As for the taste, it's too sweet and has no kick whatsoever. Then there's the name. "Mountain Dew." Sounds rather tame doesn't it? Needless to say, I don't get the hype around Dew.

Pitch Black II on the other hand, now that was good stuff.

CStoreCatMan
03-09-2006, 07:08 PM
Ok...so Vault has more caffeine than Dew by 1/2 cup of coffee...IF YOU DRINK 33.8oz OF IT! Big deal! Besides, the real test for Vault will be to see how sales do AFTER the cheap promo pricing goes away. You can get a lot of trial on a new brand by discounting...so IMO Vault hasn't proven itself yet!

Mr Zabe
03-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Good Point on the promo sales.
I think that when fridge packs are rolled out at promo pricing,Vault will be given a better "once over" by the citrus soda pop customers (MD).
I have a gut feeling that once people have a cold can of Vault or two they will become repeat customers. A good majority of soda pop drinkers like the feel of cans. I think the over all taste ect as I have gushed about in previous threads will win over repeat business.

[ 03-09-2006, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Mr Nethead
03-09-2006, 07:21 PM
Well drinking a liter of Dew is very common. And a lot of people claim they do it for the caffeine. Heck, I've known guys that knock back a 2-liter.

Caffeine has little to no effect on me personally, so I don't care that much. But I do think Vault has significantly more caffeine than Dew. If I had been a Dew drinker that was solely after the caffeine, I would've switched to Vault. (I tend to think that was Coke's idea behind bumping up the caffeine count.)

Vault seems highly addictive to me. Maybe it's only me, but if it's not just me, sales should be pretty strong even after the discounting. I actually *crave* Vault. I've never craved Dew.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-09-2006, 08:11 PM
I await the 12 packs.

DJHS

fusion
03-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Good Point on the promo sales.
I think that when fridge packs are rolled out at promo pricing,Vault will be given a better "once over" by the citrus soda pop customers (MD).
Actually, I think the success will be in 2 liters. I see lots of people grab a 2L Coke, and then a Sprite or Diet Coke, and then a Dew at Wal-Mart.

Our 2 liters are .98, while Pepsi is 1.25. I'm sure people would switch to Vault at .98 over Dew at 1.25.

Mr Zabe
03-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Good point. I forget that 2lts are "easy to grab" at the low pricing. It does make sense that the cheaper 2ltrs will get some good movement. Here in Chicago,the competition is so fierce that prices are almost always matched by the competition. The war for sales is very cut throat.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-09-2006, 09:58 PM
I drank a Coca-Cola Light with caffeine and I'm still slepp..ZZZZZZZZZ

[ 03-09-2006, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

Doug
03-09-2006, 10:45 PM
It's a hybrid

Doug
03-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by DJ HawaiianShirt:
I await the 12 packs.

DJHS when are they coming out with those? i haven't seen cans anywhere

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-10-2006, 12:07 AM
No, you can only find cans in the states in which they were test-marketed last year.

But they'll come soon.

DJHS

killjimmy
03-10-2006, 04:54 AM
thats actually not true. I know for sure that IN and MO both have 6 packs of cans right now. Neither states were test areas.

the saint
03-10-2006, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Doug:
It's a hybrid Which soda would this be you are talking about?

Hollow Man
03-10-2006, 10:18 AM
So Coke has done this weird thing where they claim VAULT is both soda and energy drink. So some people are fine with that, some people consider it one, some people consider it the other, and some consider it neither. What's the big deal either way? It's not like there's some law that defines what a soda is and what an energy drink is. To me they're the same damn product, with the distinct difference that one is a lot more expensive.

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 12:01 PM
add wisconsin to that list of places with 6 pack cans. woodmans in Janesville had a big display of em for 4 for 5 bucks

Mr Zabe
03-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Outstanding!!!!!!
I can't wait to find the display tomorrow at the Kenosha Woodmans. Thanks for the heads up Rob. smile.gif

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 12:34 PM
did the kenosha one do big displays of 20 ounzers too?

Hollow Man
03-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Four 6-packs for $5 is a hella-good deal. Beats the pants off the damn 20 oz. PET.

-HM

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 12:43 PM
yes, it is, lets do the math. 12 ounces in a can, 20 oz in a bottle. 6 times 12 is 72 ounces of vault for a meager 1.25, where at the sed store, 20 oz bottles are 2 for 1.00 or hypotheticly with the bottles you can only get 50 ounces, and in real life where ya cant get 1/2 of a bottle, you are only able to get 2 bottles, wich is 40 oz, making for 32 more oz

Hollow Man
03-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I did that math too on the VaultKicks.org blog (http://www.vaultkicks.org/vkb/?p=55).

Cans of VAULT aren't here in CT, but fortunately, a friend of mine brought me a couple of 12 packs from NC.

-HM

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 12:50 PM
cool, ya got a good friend there, lol

Hollow Man
03-10-2006, 12:53 PM
Yep! He got me FOUR 12 packs at Thanksgiving time too (all of these on sale at 2 for $5), so I've been enjoying the canned VAULT for some time now.

Just finished one can off with my lunch, in fact...

-HM

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 12:58 PM
sweet. im drinking a can i purchased last night. its nice how the cans stay cold for a while where the bottles lose their cool quickly

Mr Zabe
03-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Yes, they had two twin towers of 20ozers, about 5 feet high and two trays wide, with a two smaller trays of 1 ltrs in front of the display.

Hollow Man
03-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Yes, I also find that plastic doesn't retain the cold nearly as well. It also seems to get flat faster, but that's probably because it takes longer to drink, so there's more time for the product to lose carbonation.

Glass bottles also retain cold quite nicely, but good luck to us all when it comes to ever seeing VAULT in glass!

-HM

[ 03-10-2006, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Hollow Man ]

Mr Zabe
03-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Nothing says loving like the kiss of a cold can of A list soda pop. :D

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 01:09 PM
we are starting to get one liters at select gas stations, but the woodmans dosent have them. how much were they charging

Mr Zabe
03-10-2006, 01:20 PM
This is the truth. LOL
I was at Woodmans during the 20oz roll out.
I saw the 20oz display and did such a big happy dance that in my blissful shock, I was not able to find the 1ltr price. I recall picking up the 1ltr bottle; I sort of blacked out. LOL

True story. I grabbed 16 bottles of 20oz Vault and had to leave the display as I was starting to freak out. I thought to myself, that I would have to return back for some two litters. Maybe tomorrow I will find some.

[ 03-10-2006, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
lol... yeah, janesville as of yesterday had no fridgepacks or 2 liters yet, but our coke people work at night, assembeling full masses of vault in one night like this: http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/robsharpe2001/P2120862.jpg

so ya never know if they are gonna be there the next day

[ 03-10-2006, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Rob The SURGE Drinker ]

Hollow Man
03-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Man, I never get tired of that picture. If only they did that stuff around here....

-HM

Mr Zabe
03-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Holy Vault Rows of Orgasms!!!!!!
OMG....I think I just fell in love with a 2 dimensional Vault picture.

What a display. Your Coca Cola guys did a great job. The Kenosha display was no where as big.

[ 03-10-2006, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 01:31 PM
they have just 3 days ago reduced it to a mere 3 crate wide display, replacing the empty space with coke, diet coke, 2 new coolers featuring all the new drinks, a Tab energy display, a full throttle display, and some other stuff... they piled all that promotional material onto one spot also...

im gonna ask them when they are taking that down if i can have all that stuff, because they are proally not gonna be doing anything good with it, proally just shoving it into their back room or throwing it away...

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 01:33 PM
this is what they gave me a couple weeks ago, it has a couple small rips on it tho...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/robsharpe2001/P2200962.jpg

Mr Zabe
03-10-2006, 01:35 PM
I hope you get what you want. I bet those blow up bottles that are hanging from the ceiling will be very much in value to the collecting community. I think they look very slick. smile.gif

[ 03-10-2006, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Hollow Man
03-10-2006, 01:37 PM
The blow-up bottles are cool. All I've managed to get is a transparent plastic window-cling.

They need to start selling black t-shirts with the logo on it.

-HM

Rob The SURGE Drinker
03-10-2006, 01:44 PM
i have seen one of those t shirts on ebay once

Hollow Man
03-10-2006, 01:46 PM
I saw a grey one. They need black. Or a dark green - like the can.

-HM

iluvsurge220
03-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Anybody been able to get a pic of one of these t-shirts? That Vault display was FREAKING AWESOME!!!!!! :eek:

SURGE
03-11-2006, 04:12 AM
Last Summer I posted my opinnion about the VAULT energy drink thing on Vaultkicks.org. I have to say I agree that the marketing of VAULT as an energy drink is a bad choice, its kinda missleading. VAULT has enough to stand on without posing as a real energy drink. Heck sell it on caffine cuz it really is a bargan from that standpoint. So yes I think it is misleading but Coke is fully aware of what we think and they have decided (for whatever reason) that we don't represent the average buyer.

Dewman1979
03-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Vault is a solid offering, but M Dew is still going to crush it sales wise.

I wonder if they are going to bother with the flavored varieties.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Dewman1979:
Vault is a solid offering, but M Dew is still going to crush it sales wise.

That may be true, but Coke isn't out to necessarily kill Dew. Dew is a huge cult drink and for many people, they'll never change.

But just like Coke Classic isn't out to kill Pepsi and Sprite isn't out to kill Sierra Mist, Vault would be a complete success if only it can gain enough fans to garner a profit. After all, competition is good for the market and consumers, regardless of how much Dew fans want it to reign supreme unchallenged in the citrus segment.

I think we'll be seeing Vault around for a long time, but I also think that it will barely touch Dew's stature.

DJHS

Mr Zabe
03-11-2006, 05:40 PM
DJHS,
I agree 100%. Vault if it maintains enough market share to maintain a profit, Coca Cola has a successful brand. I also agree, at least for the consumer, competition is always a win win situation. Plenty of sales and promotions,brand improvements....happy customers on the margin buy more and more often. So we all benefit from competition.