PDA

View Full Version : The Pop Shoppe?????

blair
01-12-2000, 06:45 PM
I'm working on a story for Soda Pop Dreams about The Pop Shoppe chain of soda from the 70s and 80s. They used to bottle sodas in glass bottles and people could return their empties to the chain for re-fill.

My question is, does anyone out there remember The Pop Shoppe? If so, I'd sure be interested in any comments and memories you have about the old chain. Thanks!

Blair.

BooBooKitty
01-28-2000, 12:27 AM
I remember them. They didn't last long in my area. They came in what I remember as hundreds of different flavours http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/smile.gif

keith from california
02-17-2000, 06:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blair:
I'm working on a story for Soda Pop Dreams about The Pop Shoppe chain of soda from the 70s and 80s. They used to bottle sodas in glass bottles and people could return their empties to the chain for re-fill.

My question is, does anyone out there remember The Pop Shoppe? If so, I'd sure be interested in any comments and memories you have about the old chain. Thanks!

Blair.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I remember them in many different flavors and in small, fat bottles. This was in Ventura California in the mid 70's. They had some great flavors.

dlhancock
02-22-2000, 09:56 PM
They were also in Central Florida/Orlando--Altamonte Springs in the 80's. All kinds of flavors. It was about the only place I can remember finding a straight lemon soda. The bottles in my area were kind of squatty. I believe the plug was pulled around 1984. Another similar operation was called Soda Pop City. They had the audacity to open facilities in Atlanta and probably other spots! Similar deal there as well. When they folded I began to see their bottles being used by the local RC bottling operation for NEHI flavors.

dr pepperman
10-17-2000, 09:21 PM
I had a grape soda for lunch today in a Pop Shoppe bottle.
A place in Elmira NY called M&M Red Hots is where I found it. While waitng for my lunch I noticed several red plastic crates with Pop Shoppe on them. I ordered a bottle and it came in a 10 ounce glass bottle with a cap that needed to be removed with an opener.The bottle was a Pop Shoppe bottle. On the back of the bottle it said it was bottled by an outfit in Richmond Va.
One of the crates had a large sticker for Monroe Bottling(?) Hertal Ave Buffalo,NY. I have a current Buffalo phonebook at work and when I return from vacation I will look to see if that company is listed and post a phone number if it is.
Other flavors availible were Grape, Orange, Root Beer, Birch Beer, Cherry and several other which I forget.

blair
10-18-2000, 12:01 PM
Dr Pepperman - I'd love to hear what you find out about that Pop Shoppe location.

In doing research for that article, I came across one remaining Pop Shoppe retail location in British Columbia (Canada) and was able to interview the owner. That story about The Pop Shoppe Chain & photos is up online at: http://www.pww.on.ca/dreams.htm.

Let me know what you find out when you return from vacation.

robbie
10-18-2000, 08:06 PM
YES I REMEMBER THE POP SHOP IN TORONTO
THERE WERE QUITE A FEW AND THE OLD HOCKEY PLAYER FOR THE LEAFS EDDIE SHACK WAS A SPOKESMAN FOR THEIR COMMERICIALS AND TAGGED THE LINE
I GOT A NOSE FOR VALUE BECAUSE HE HAD A VERY LARGE NOSE WHICH HE WAS KNOWN FOR

dr pepperman
10-25-2000, 01:16 AM
No number for Monroe Bottling found in Buffalo phonebook. Next time I go for a Texas hot I will ask where the Pop Shoppe bottles come from.

dr pepperman
11-29-2000, 12:59 AM
Blair,
I have not forgotten this,just have not been in the mood for hot dogs lately.

dr pepperman
01-23-2001, 08:57 PM
Went to M&M Red Hots for a Texas hot and a grape soda. I asked the busy waitress where the Pop Shoppe product was coming from. She said Monroe ( the name I saw on the crate during my previous visit) but also said from a beverage store across town is where it came from. I checked out the only beverage store on that street and saw nothing about Pop Shoppe ,only the big boys. The kid behind the counter looked like he did not know his ass from a hole in the ground so I left without following up. There was a small food service business next door but I did not check them.
This beverage store has 1 or 2 others in town so I will try to find out more soon.

pinksugarpsycho
03-01-2001, 06:21 PM
How weird- just last week I was getting all melancholy about the Pop Shoppe, discussing its demise with my bf. He lived in CA & never heard of it, but I lived in Central FL for most of my life and remember the Pop Shoppe in Altamonte-Orlando. It was on hwy 436, and my parents used to take me there when I was little...I recall those squatty bottles, and if my brain is functioning correctly right now I also seem to remember that they had a killer pineapple soda....*sigh*...it's been forever since I've had a good pineapple soda...but- in my memory at least- the Pop Shoppe was awesome. My folks hated dragging the bottles back, though... http://www.bevnet.com//bevboard/smile.gif

boodoo
03-02-2001, 07:47 AM
The Pop Shoppe was in the Dallas area in the mid 80's as well. I worked for Coke back then and we all laughed about them. Then we would secretly visit the stores to load up on our favorite flavors! I especially enjoyed the grape and orange.

sodasommelier
03-02-2001, 08:44 AM
Boodoo is right about that! And the Lime Rickey was really good even though it was gray in color!

------------------
Always remember... Don't follow the can drinkers to the chicken bone recycling bin!

white shadow
03-25-2001, 01:45 PM
Remember pop shoppe as well.
great lime rickey and cherry coke!!!

white shadow

PhillyCoke
03-25-2001, 09:03 PM
Monroe may have become Blue Rock Beverages. They have a location at 538 Hertel Avenue. The number is (716) 875-2873. Keep in mind I found this info on Yahoo's yellow pages, so it may be unreliable (as I have found in some cases)

[This message has been edited by PhillyCoke (edited 03-25-2001).]

drpep
04-25-2002, 08:45 PM
Its been over a year since I posted hear about buying soda in Pop Shoppe bottles. I finally made it back for a Texas Hot and saw that the Pop Shoppe bottles were replaced by cans of Fanta, Dr Pepper, Canada Dry and Coke, which has always been sold here. No bottles in sight.

xlogold
04-25-2002, 11:21 PM
pop shoppe? is that online? because i order Coca-Cola and Pepsi from Mexico on a site that is very similar to that name. The 16oz bottles did not taste as well as the 12oz. though

mikebarker
01-28-2004, 02:24 AM
The Pop Shoppe
I have a complete case of 24 returnable bottles, (empty)in the plastic carrying case. I would like to sell them. please contact me by e-mail at mikebarker@aol.com

DJ Brian
02-05-2004, 12:08 AM
I have access to all Pop Shoppe flavors.

Sea bass
02-05-2004, 02:51 AM
Where can we get these Pop Shoppe flavors DJ Brian?

DJ Brian
02-05-2004, 02:52 PM
I need to ask the guys at my local place, Minogues Beverage Center Queensbury NY, where they find them. I'll resell them and ship on my web site for anyone who would like some.

cph
02-07-2004, 12:27 AM
We had a "Pop Shoppe" in La Verne, CA around
1979-82 or thereabouts. I never went in there all that much, but the "Lime Rickey" was sure good...

wmp
02-20-2008, 04:12 AM
I had a grape soda for lunch today in a Pop Shoppe bottle.
A place in Elmira NY called M&M Red Hots is where I found it. While waitng for my lunch I noticed several red plastic crates with Pop Shoppe on them. I ordered a bottle and it came in a 10 ounce glass bottle with a cap that needed to be removed with an opener.The bottle was a Pop Shoppe bottle. On the back of the bottle it said it was bottled by an outfit in Richmond Va.
One of the crates had a large sticker for Monroe Bottling(?) Hertal Ave Buffalo,NY. I have a current Buffalo phonebook at work and when I return from vacation I will look to see if that company is listed and post a phone number if it is.
Other flavors availible were Grape, Orange, Root Beer, Birch Beer, Cherry and several other which I forget.

Hi, the Monroe Bottling Co. is located at 538 Hertel Ave. Buffalo, NY 14207, and was the manufacturer of Black Rock Beverages. Although they no longer make soda pop, they are still in business as a beverage retailer. The Pop Shoppe bottles were bought and used in the early 80's. Black Rock is a family owned business, and one of the oldest bottlers in Western New York. They can be contacted at 716/875-2873, ask for Bruce.

technotony_con
03-16-2009, 11:26 AM
I was the plant manager for The Pop Shoppe in Portsmouth NH, from the day it started to the day it ended. The Pop Shoppe has a very colorful history; it has been a large part of my life because that is where I got my start. You always remember your beginnings. I am much, much older now but as I remember it we only had 36 flavors. I have and still collect a lot of The Pop Shoppe memorabilia. I have things like limited edition bottles, signs, patches, belt buckles and much more. I love the stuff. Portsmouth NH was one of the larger bottling plants in the US. Remember, The Pop Shoppe was a franchise out of Canada, The US franchise holder was in Denver, and it was called The Pop Shoppes of America. All the other bottling plants in the US like ours where franchisees. The original founder of The Pop Shoppe in Canada is still alive and lives in Florida. My name is Tony and I love everything Pop Shoppe.

Duane
04-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I manage a Southern Barbeque Restaurant in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, and we're proud to currently be offering five flavours of Pop Shoppe bottled treats: Orange, Lime Ricky, Black Cherry, Root Beer, and Cream Soda.