PDA

View Full Version : Powerade Option vs... Gatorade Rain???

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Coke vs. Pepsi, Vault vs. Mountain Dew, Diet Pepsi vs. Diet Coke/Coke Zero/DC Splenda, and now... Powerade Option vs... Gatorade Rain?

http://announce.coca-cola.com/pa_option/images/usatoday-thumb.gif

What do you think of this new campaign?

To see also the new commercials, click here...
Powerade Option vs. Gatorade (http://announce.coca-cola.com/pa_option/index.html)

[ 03-17-2006, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

Doug
03-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Haven't tried Option yet, it doesn't seem to sell very well at our store, but man I love Gatorade Rain

Doug
03-17-2006, 12:59 AM
I always thought Option was like a Propel ripoff, and I never really like Propel...

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-17-2006, 01:04 AM
IMO... Powerade Option should better fight with a competitor of the same level: Propel, like you mentioned...

mjb1124
03-17-2006, 01:08 AM
I also saw a Full Throttle ad that takes a shot at Red Bull. I guess Coke isn't above slamming the competition after all.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-17-2006, 01:13 AM
I saw the commercials, and the "Pegasus" (http://mfile.akamai.com/332/wmv/cocacola.download.akamai.com/332/announce/_media/TV/us_KOPA6536_engl_300.asx) and "Buffed" (http://mfile.akamai.com/332/wmv/cocacola.download.akamai.com/332/announce/_media/TV/us_KOPA6533_engl_300.asx) versions are really funny! :D

[ 03-17-2006, 01:14 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

JordanE
03-18-2006, 02:41 AM
Vault>Mountain Dew

Diet Pepsi<Coke Zero

Powerade<Gatorade Rain

Coke takes it.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-18-2006, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by JordanE:
Vault>Mountain Dew

Diet Pepsi<Coke Zero

Powerade<Gatorade Rain

Coke takes it. I agree with you! :D

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-18-2006, 02:10 PM
I actually think this match-up isn't too bad.

Although Powerade Option doesn't have 0 calories, it's essentially a diet drink, as opposed to Gatorade Rain, which is more in the league with Vitamin Water, although it is still a sports drink.

But this isn't bad, because the no-calorie sports drink segment has never done very well. Can anyone think of many competitors past Propel and Powerade Option? Not too many.

I think Rain is much more palatable than Option, although I still don't think consumers stray too far from normal Gatorade and Powerade anyway.

DJHS

Mr Zabe
03-18-2006, 04:51 PM
I agree with you.
Well said. smile.gif

SURGE
03-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Interesting find!

I'm not a fan of either Option, Propel, or Rain. It seems like a good idea to get a hold in the market early on though. I'm far more interested in Advanced though, that seems like a real winner in my mind, atleast conceptually. No matter- Coke has done a really good job with this brand lately taking a decent amount of share anually for quite a few years in a row so I suppose no point in second guessing.

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-18-2006, 08:20 PM
It's true, in fact here in Mexico before the release of Powerade there were a tide of sport drinks in competition with Gatorade: Jumex Sports, Enerplex, Lucozade (now gone), but Powerade with a good advertising campaign (featuring silver medal-winner runner Ana Gabriela Guevara)...with the rename of The Coca-Cola Company, and now with a great distribution, won the second place in the sport drinks market, leaving the rest of the other sport drink brands behind...

Now with the creation of Salesko, Coca-Cola Mexico should consider include Option and Advanced in their portfolio..

[ 03-18-2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

SURGE
03-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Very interesting Ramon- I think that is a global trend. Powerade is simply growing far faster than Gatorade. In the US it is taking 2-4% share anually and this despite the millions of Gatorade flavors and extensions. Still I hear growth in Africa and the Pacific is like 10%. I used to think Powerade was just content being a distant second but at this point I'm willing to bet that in the next decade or so global shipments will eclipse the Florida Gator.

Mr Zabe
03-19-2006, 07:12 PM
At least in my limited shopping at my local grocery stores,Wal-mart, and Woodman's, in about the Chicago area; Gatorade has a 3 to 1 dominance of shelf space over Powerade.

I enjoy Powerade. It's a good drink. I will buy it on sale or during the hot summer months at C-Stores. It just does not excite me. Other than a good sale or convience store impulse sale, Powerade is not my first choice.

Gatorade does excite me. The flavor extensions make me feel like there is a good variety of drinks to choose from. Now that Rain has been rolled out, I am very pleased with Gatorade. Most of all I find Gatorade very pleasing to drink as the flavors are IMO very tasty.

I do not foresee at least in my area Powerade surpassing Gatorade. Powerade has a dingy look and feel to it's bottle lable. It does not have a look that speaks to me or probably many of the younger crowd. It has a limited selection of flavors. Finally, it's marketing strategy dose not seem all that appealing, at least to me.

Just my view. smile.gif

[ 03-19-2006, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SURGE
03-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Let me clarify my previous projection- I'm talking globally. In the US Powerade is quite a bit further behind yet the growth is still astounding both in magnitude as well as consistant year to year gains. Maybe 20 years to go.

One thing you noted as an advantage of Gatorade is the many extensions. Still whats funny is that none of these multitude of new flavors are really bringing in new biz. That is to say that they canabalize eachother strongly. Also by introducing so many new flavors you inevitably piss people off when you cut them later. Instead of launching tons of new flavors annually Powerade is focussed on carefuly picking an choosing new flavors.

Whats amazing to me is that Powerade has been able to take share from a competitor with a much wider range of products and that they have managed to do some consistantly year to year. At the same time Gatorade has continued to spread themselves thinner by launching more flavors which only appeal to existing users.

Ask any store manager who knows this stuff and he will tell you that the he gets more volume per SKU from Powerade vs. Gatorade. This has to do with too many flavors.

I will agree that Powerade needs to focus more on its PR but I think that as share continues to grow it will gain legitamcy organically.

I think Powerade has really become a shining star for Coke (and one of the few recently).

iluvsurge220
03-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I don't really like any of them either. Option was to sweet for me. I've only had one drink of rain and it didn't really please me either. They should just stick with gatorade and powerade!!

CStoreCatMan
03-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I agree with Mr Zabe. I think Powerade is a brand purchased when its on sale, as an impulse buy, etc. etc. If Gatorade and Powerade were both priced exactly the same...or were both on sale at the same time for the same price...what do you think would happen? Powerade has to rely on lower pricing to achieve any kind of success vs. the Gatorade giant...and even then I don't see them catching up to or surpassing Gatorade in our lifetime!

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-21-2006, 06:28 PM
That's a good point.

DJHS

PepsiBlue
03-22-2006, 12:28 AM
Yea, the ice line is now gone, but I enjoy the rain line more, like berry.

My fav gatorade flavor, is Melon Fierce.

[ 03-22-2006, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: PepsiBlue ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-22-2006, 12:36 AM
Here in Mexico, Gatorade lines are: Regular, Frost, Fierce and the new C3X

Mr Zabe
03-22-2006, 12:49 AM
Just my gut guess.
The new Gatorade Rain will do extremely well this spring and summer. Once people try it they will get hooked on it. This extension is just that good.

[ 03-22-2006, 12:50 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SURGE
03-23-2006, 01:14 AM
Tried Option today- not too impressed but I gotta give the competition a shot too