View Full Version : HFCS vs Cane Sugar

David J.
02-21-2007, 12:34 AM
OK, when I was in the abroad, I found that I prefer Cane Sugar Pepsi over Cane Sugar Coke. But since Cane Sugar cola's are rare in the states, I have to settle for HFCS, and I prefer HFCS Coke over HFCS Pepsi.

Is anyone else the same way?

Mr Zabe
02-21-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm just the opposite. HFCS Pepsi tastes better than HFCS Coke. Actually the only way I enjoy HFCS Coke is with a salty (high sodium) meal. HFCS Pepsi rocks my world either way.

[ 02-21-2007, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

02-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't like either one. The only HFCS cola I can drink is RC.

02-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Cane sugar is the best and my favorite.
Splenda/ Ace K is my 2nd favorite
HFCS makes you fat.

02-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I find both Pepsi and Coke more "refreshing" with cane sugar (with a bit more citrus coming through), but it pales in comparison to the flavor-bouquet that cane sugar Dr Pepper achieves over the standard HFCS variety. IMHO, of course.

P.S. With the corn demand for ethanol increasing, any chance that this will result, eventually, in more sodas using sucrose? (I HOPE!)

DJ HawaiianShirt
02-23-2007, 11:44 AM
David, no one will disagree with you that HFCS is better than cane sugar.

And for the two colas, well, that battle has been going on for about a century.

Mr Zabe
02-23-2007, 11:48 AM
Good point.

David J.
02-23-2007, 01:44 PM
No, I don't think HFCS is better than cane sugar... but I find it funny my preferences are swaped when the sweetener is changed.

Tom Servo
02-25-2007, 04:47 PM
The only HFCS sweetened drinks I enjoy on a regular basis are RC, Cherry RC, Pibb Xtra and Dr Pepper. They all have good flavor profiles as is.

Occasionally I'll have a HFCS Coke. But I very much prefer the cane sugar version of it and Pepsi. If Pepsi/Coke sold cane sugar versions in the US that were widely available, I'd definitely drink more of each. I don't like HFCS Pepsi at all.

Dublin Dr Pepper is a wonderful beverage but hard to get ahold of. To me, it and regular Dr Pepper are both good, with unique tastes.

I'd love it if Jolt went back to sugar. I miss the tooth-aching goodness after chugging an entire bottle.