PDA

View Full Version : Canada what drinks & food not in U.S.A.?

SplitLevelP
03-18-2006, 01:32 AM
Ok all of you canadian people and border bouncers this one is for you.What can be found in canada that can't be found here in usa? The post can be different product like sprite ice which was not seen here in usa yet or different packaging like fruitopia in Glass which is not done here in usa.Have fun I gonna be really watching this one since I live about two hours from the canada border. smile.gif

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-18-2006, 01:50 AM
Fanta is available in Canada?

ScottyLibido
03-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Pop-Crush orange, cream soda, grape, diet versions of all 3 with Splenda, Mug rootbeer, diet mug, Frutopia (many many flavours), Nestea Zero w/Splenda, Dew Fuel reg and diet, 7-up cranberry, I think that is it from the national companies

Chips-Lay's Ketchup, Salt and Pepper, Smokey Bacon, Salsa, Doritos Zesty Cheese, Bold BBQ, Tostitos Hint of Jalapeno, Cheetos Corn Twists, Cheetos Popcorn, Ruffles All Dressed, Sour Cream and Bacon, Hostess Hickory Sticks

I think that is it from Frito Lay.

Mr Zabe
03-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Another one of my childhood stories. LOL
When I was a kid,we went to Ontario Canada
(Big Eagle Lake???)for 6 days of Walleye fishing. I have a fond memory of buying for my Mom the most awesome strawberry preserves I had ever tasted. The lid to the jar had a few red Canadian leafs on it and the jar had a square shape to it. Back then the local grocery stores did not have imported stuff like they do now.

Do any of our Canadian board mates know of this strawberry jam?

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-18-2006, 08:25 PM
When my brother went to Canada, he said that the most impressive thing he saw is the Maple syrup, cause the maple syrups made in Mexico are a little less liquid, and he says that Canadian maple syrup is more liquid, and more delicious...

Mr Zabe
03-18-2006, 08:54 PM
MrR
My friend who lives in Ontario Canada lives down the road from a family owned/runned maple syrup business. They tap the syrup and bottle if for sale.

Once a year for Christmas my friend sends me a fresh bottle of pure maple syrup. All I can say is that it's awesome. Pure maple syrup is very expensive in the States,aprox. $6 to 7$ for a 16oz bottle.

[ 03-18-2006, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Green River
03-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I haven't been to Canada in a year,and last time I went was to British Columbia,Cranbrook I believe and they had 7up Citrus Splash.I took advantage of the moment and bought around 10 12 oz's.So do they still make it in canada?

No Soda
03-18-2006, 11:51 PM
Prince Edward Island mandates that all carbonated soft drinks be sold in refillable bottles. To see Coke and Pepsi products in refillable glass 355 and 750-ml bottles, go here, and scroll down thru all all the other nice pictures-sorry I'm too lazy to repost my pictures in this thread:

http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002163;p=2

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-19-2006, 12:10 AM
I don't want to hate on your style, Zabe, but it isn't the syrup that's tapped. lol It's the tree sap that's tapped, which is then treated and reduced many times into delicious syrup. But at least I share your enthusiasm.

DJHS

Mr Zabe
03-19-2006, 12:31 AM
DJHS,
You are correct. I neglected to say all that.
They do refine the sap into the highest grade syrup. smile.gif My friend's community center has a pancake breakfast that feeds over 500 people. She said they use many gallons of this syrup. LOL

Popboy
03-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Pop...err I mean Soda:
Crush Sour Apple (Limited Edition), Crush Blue (Seasonal, has a mixed berry taste), Crush Birch Beer (Only bottled in Newfoundland, along with Crush Pineapple which is already in the US in some markets), 7UP Cranberry, 7UP Citrus Splash, Barqs Cread Soda (Like Red Creme, extremly hard to find), Sprite Ice

Chips:
Lays Curry flavor, Lays Wasabi flavor

Ramon we don't have Fanta anymore, discontinued in Canada many years ago to my knowledge.

more to come...

[ 03-19-2006, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Popboy ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-19-2006, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Popboy:
Ramon we don't have Fanta anymore, discontinued in Canada many years ago to my knowledge.Wow! what Orange soda has Coca-Cola in Canada? Minute Maid soda?

[ 03-19-2006, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

gregmech26
03-19-2006, 09:56 AM
In the past, I was able to purchase "Libby's real fruit strawberry nectar" drink which was available in Windsor, Ontario Canada.

Today, I can't find it anywhere.

Here is the BevNet review from 2001:

http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/realfruit/

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-19-2006, 10:07 AM
That drink is interesting, gregmech. I'm always on the lookout for drinks that try to have a natural strawberry taste instead of an artificial one.

So far, the closest I've got is the aftertaste in Sprite Remix Aruba Jam, which is pretty sad.

DJHS

Popboy
03-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Ramon the only Orange Soda we have is Orange Crush, and Cplus Orange (w/Sunkist Juice). Coca Cola discontinued bottling Minute Maid Orange many years ago, it's only available at fast food joints like Burger King, Wendys.

drpep
03-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Grape Kool Aid. Well we do have it in the U.S. but the Canadian version is better. Fact: Canada Pop Tarts are different than the U.S. Pop Tarts. I learned this when my Brother In Law took me on a tour of the Pop Tart factory when he worked there.

Jay-Cee
03-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Overall I think you get a lot more variety stateside than we get up here.

I always notice that like DrPep says, even products that are the same tend to seem a bit different with slightly different packaging aswell. But I'm sure there are a lot of regional variations in the various states aswell.

I know for a fact that the chocolate bars in Canada such as KitKat are totally different fron the US versions.

SamC
03-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Jay-Cee:

I know for a fact that the chocolate bars in Canada such as KitKat are totally different fron the US versions. Kit-Kat was a product of the British candy company Rowntree. It was the #1 candy bar in England. Rowntree did business in Canada, but not the USA. About 1975 it liscensed Kit-Kat to Hershey's for USA distribution.

Then, about 1990, Nestle, Hershey's bigest rival, bought Rowntree.

So Kit-Kat is a Nestle product everywhere in the world, except in the USA, where it is a Hershey product.

If you look closely at a USA Kit-Kat label it says "Kit-Kat is a registered trademark of Societe des produces Nestle; Vevey, Switzerland" while a Canadian bar will simply say "produced by Nestle Canada, Toronto".

Popboy
03-19-2006, 11:58 PM
We have KitKat in many different flavors including, Banana, Strawberry, and Orange. Japan has alot of KitKat variants as well, infact it is said that every city in Japan has a unique flavor, like lichee nut, mango etc.

I do have to say though that American Hershey bars (pure milk chocolate ones) taste better than the Canadian Hershey bars for some reason.

Mr Zabe
03-20-2006, 12:01 AM
Have you tried the White Chocolate covered Kit Kat bars? They are pure heaven.

Cokeologist
03-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Some of my favorites from Canada:

- Vanilla Coke in glass bottles from Prince Edward Island
- Bacon flavored potato chips
- Maple cream cookies
- Wunderbar candy bars

Popboy
03-20-2006, 01:53 PM
I've tried the White Chocolate KitKats, but my fav is still Orange flavor. smile.gif

While the Lays Bacon flavor chips taste good, I still prefer Ruffles Sour Cream n' Bacon...yum.

Mr Zabe
03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
Just wondering.
What is the regular cost of a candy bar in Canada?
Candy bars that are not on sale at the grocery store cost around 65 cents to 75 cents in US currency.

What do they cost by you in US currency?

Just about every week one store or another has candy bars on sale 3 for a $1 or 50 cents each.

[ 03-20-2006, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

PSOmasterX77
03-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Canada has Nestle Coffee Crisp bars, my mom always gets some when she crosses the border.

Popboy
03-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Mr Zabe,

The average price for a chocolate bar here in Canada is .85 cents with tax (Gst/Pst) that works out to .98 cents which is about .85 cents American.

Thats only the average price that you would see in your local corner store, some supermarkets up here sell 2 for a $1.00 +tax= $1.15, which works out to 2 for .99 cents American.

[ 03-20-2006, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Popboy ]

jmyjunk
03-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by SamC:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jay-Cee:

I know for a fact that the chocolate bars in Canada such as KitKat are totally different fron the US versions. Kit-Kat was a product of the British candy company Rowntree. It was the #1 candy bar in England. Rowntree did business in Canada, but not the USA. About 1975 it liscensed Kit-Kat to Hershey's for USA distribution.

Then, about 1990, Nestle, Hershey's bigest rival, bought Rowntree.

So Kit-Kat is a Nestle product everywhere in the world, except in the USA, where it is a Hershey product.

If you look closely at a USA Kit-Kat label it says "Kit-Kat is a registered trademark of Societe des produces Nestle; Vevey, Switzerland" while a Canadian bar will simply say "produced by Nestle Canada, Toronto". </font>[/QUOTE]Kit Kat has been produce in this country since the late 1960's (according to hershey's web site and wikipedia.org)

This was a franchising agrement with Roundtrees of York England to produce Kit Kat. When they where taken over by Nestle, they took over that agrement.
As to when it expirses, anyone guess.

But I will have to say that the Kit Kat produced in Canada use more coca, as the chocolate is darker, and less sweet. The Hersheys produced Kit Kat, is sweeter, and has a waxy flavor to it.

[ 03-20-2006, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

jmyjunk
03-20-2006, 03:08 PM
While we are on the subject.
I noticed other Nestle products are made in Brazil. When I was in Canada last year, I noticed that Butterfingers there where made in the US, and labeled for Canada.
Wierd.

Also, and I get kick out of this one, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is called Kraft Dinner in Canada. Same product!

[ 03-20-2006, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

Mr Zabe
03-20-2006, 03:14 PM
All this candy bar talk is going to drive me nuts. tongue.gif

If the world were going to end in a nuclear winter, I would have an ice cold six pack of Pepsi, 3 Reeses Peanut Butter Cup candy bars and 3 White Chocolate KitKat bars to drink and eat as the white light arrives past the horizion.LOLOLOLOL

(I would also have The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" blaring on the stereo.LOL)

[ 03-20-2006, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

jmyjunk
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Also, another thing I have noticed.
Reese's Peanut butter cups are
Reese Peanut butter cups in Canada.

No apostrophe "S".

Now that is weird. And I would love an explanation of that quirk!

[ 03-20-2006, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

Popboy
03-20-2006, 04:58 PM
The US still has more variety when it comes to Junk Food (ie Fast Food Restaurants, and Soda Pop), all I know is if I were brought up in the Us i would weight more than 600lbs easy. Thank goodness for lack of variety in Canada to keep my weight reasonable. smile.gif

[ 03-20-2006, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Popboy ]

Mr Zabe
03-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Hey, it's a hard life, fighting off all the cheap junk food. LOL I will say that like most everything else,once you have something for a long while you get use to it. I mean if you were to start living in the States, after eating 3 fast food meals a day, eventually you would grow tired of it and limit yourself to 1 fast food meal a day. LOL

[ 03-20-2006, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Green River
03-20-2006, 05:25 PM
I also bought a 20 oz or 591 ml. bottle of Hires Red Cream,which was a good gourmet soda.

ScottyLibido
03-21-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Popboy:
Pop...err I mean Soda:
Crush Sour Apple (Limited Edition), Crush Blue (Seasonal, has a mixed berry taste), Crush Birch Beer (Only bottled in Newfoundland, along with Crush Pineapple which is already in the US in some markets), 7UP Citrus Splash, Barqs Cream Soda (Like Red Creme, extremly hard to find), Sprite IcePopboy dont get everyone too excited. There are a few things on your list that arent around anymore: Crush limiteds, 7Up Citrus.

Other stuff I thought of afterward are:

Crush Lime (20oz only), Hires Rootbeer, Orange and Cream Soda

Chips: Doritos Dill-licious, Jalapeno Cheddar, Tostitos Spicy Quesadilla, Munchies Salsa and Cheese Party Mix, Miss Vickies Roasted Garlic and Honey, Fritos BBQ Hoops and Ruffles Salt and Vinegar.

Mr Zabe
03-21-2006, 01:29 AM
Miss Vickies are awesome.
My friend from Ontario sent me a few bags of Salt and Vinegar. YUM

SPLASTiK
03-21-2006, 02:43 AM
Not soda but Doritos Jalapeno and Cheddar are amazing as mentioned.

Everything that I can think of has been mentioned.

juniorjin
03-21-2006, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Green River:
I haven't been to Canada in a year,and last time I went was to British Columbia,Cranbrook I believe and they had 7up Citrus Splash.I took advantage of the moment and bought around 10 12 oz's.So do they still make it in canada? i believe it's been discontinued due to poor sales =(
i actually enjoyed that one too

juniorjin
03-21-2006, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by gregmech26:
In the past, I was able to purchase "Libby's real fruit strawberry nectar" drink which was available in Windsor, Ontario Canada.

Today, I can't find it anywhere.

Here is the BevNet review from 2001:

http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/realfruit/ those drinks were discontinued in 2002 =P

you live in farmington hills! Whenever i go to the Detroit Area I usually stay in the Novi/northville area. I go to the Farmington Hill sam's club to stock up on stuff.

juniorjin
03-21-2006, 04:04 AM
here's a list of certain items found up here not readily available in the US

-pepsi was already covered....
i think we have a couple of powerade flavours not seen in the states...

Pop Shoppe in i believe 8 flavours,
some really really crappy energy drinks not even worth to mention

If you ever get to go to North/south dakota or Minnesota, I would suggest getting your hands on any Old Dutch potato chips...mmmm mmm good

in terms of candy bars...
NESTLE
-coffee crisp (yogurt, mocha), aero(mint, yogurt, caramel, chunky, dark), smarties (peanut,and all the bars), mirage, kit kat (peanut butter, cinnamon) macintosh's toffee, After 8 dark choc bar, big turk
CADBURY
mr. big, crispy crunch, crunchie, dairy milk line, wunderbar, swedish berries, maynards wine gums...actually pretty much anything cadbury from Canada is not available in the US, unless you go to World Market
HERSHEY
bridge mixture, cherry blossom, nut milk, caravan, reese crunchy, reese big cup with nuts (altough that one is available in the states now), glossette line (peanut, almond, raisin), special crisp (aka whatchamacalit), york peppermint patties (ours are 3 small pieces), eat more, oh henry, oh henry pb (which is esentially the same bar as nutrageous), goodies (colourful version of good & plenty)
MASTERFOODS/MARS
bounty - our top selling coconut bar - very high quality chocolate and coconut imported from the UK (no wonder almond joy is not around anymore)
MARS - aka milky way
MARS Almond AKA snickers almond
Dove caramel AKA galaxy caramel, different from the American Dove caramel in the packages

wrigley

extra gum - sorta like orbit, but without the just brushed clean feeling

there's just too many differences in cadbury adams gum to mention....trident citrus, very berry (pellets), full clorets line, Halls oxygen, Halls original strongs

mr zabe, you'll rarely see candy bars sold for 2/$1, and when they are, will only be very very limited promotions, with only a couple of different bars. the companies just recently upped the wholesale cost of bars and you'll see them anywhere from 83 cents at wal-mart to 1.19 at a convenience store/gas station.

however, in the last few years, hershey, wrigley and both coke and pepsi as well as frito lay have been much more responsive in bringing up items I thought we would never get up here. And with these products being so successful, they've really been keeping the pace.

the one thing i love about being in the toronto area is that it's pretty easy to get your hands on pretty much anything from anywhere in the world here pretty easily and affordably.

- - -
the list that's interesting would be some of the items that were either discontinued here or never brought here that are available in the states....
- Pringles White Cheddar and that limited edition dill, jack links beef nuggets, cheetos flaming hot
- almond joy, snickers cruncher, raisinets, the koolerz line of gum, reese sticks, hershey's cookies & mint, kit kat coffee, andes mints
- mcdonalds dollar menu
- yoo-hoo, pibb xtra, jones energy drinks, diet cherry coke, ibc root beer, odwalla, starbucks doubleshot and caramel frap, mm and tropicana pink lemonade, boylans (but our whole foods just started carrying those)
and i loved minute maid valencia orange and fanta pineapple when those were around

haha...the wal-mart supercentre in utica is usually where we stop whenever we drive to boston or nyc. it's usually our 3 am sugar and caffeine/taurine rush...

SamC
03-21-2006, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by jmyjunk:
Also, another thing I have noticed.
Reese's Peanut butter cups are
Reese Peanut butter cups in Canada.

No apostrophe "S".

Now that is weird. And I would love an explanation of that quirk! French.

Under Canada labeling laws if they called it "Reese's" it would have to be labeled "Reese's / du Reese" the possesive in both languages. But "Reese" like Kraft or Gillete is just somebody's name.

SamC
03-21-2006, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Miss Vickies are awesome.
Miss Vickies is a Frito-Lay product, which means its PepsiCo.

You can get US made, but still labeled in English and French, Miss Vickies in the US. Often sold in stores along main routes between Canada and Florida.

fusion
03-21-2006, 07:45 PM
I think I have seen those chips at Quiznos.

Mr Zabe
03-21-2006, 07:48 PM
About a year ago, I saw the small packs of Salt and Vinegar at Subway. I asked when the were not available and the manager had no idea. :(

Jay-Cee
03-24-2006, 05:54 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wayne-Gretzky-1987-Canadian-cans-2pk-PEPSI-no-coke_W0QQitemZ7228641213QQcategoryZ13604QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

PSOmasterX77
03-25-2006, 12:39 AM
can someone give me a who/what/where/why on Mountain Dew Citrus Smooth? I had a 2liter and it was way better than normal dew. Cane sugar?

Green River
03-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by PSOmasterX77:
can someone give me a who/what/where/why on Mountain Dew Citrus Smooth? I had a 2liter and it was way better than normal dew. Cane sugar? I saw that last time I was in Canada and I thought nothing of it,just a different name :confused:

ScottyLibido
03-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Our regulat Mountain Dew Citrus Smooth is supposively the same as your CF Dew.

I also forgot about Ketchup Pringles in Canada

Popboy
03-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by ScottyLibido:
Our regulat Mountain Dew Citrus Smooth is supposively the same as your CF Dew.

I also forgot about Ketchup Pringles in Canada Ketchup Pringles are good, same with Kethup Doritos