PDA

View Full Version : Sale Sign Limit 4?

Mr Zabe
03-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Most of you know that the grocery stores in the Chicago area have weekly loss leader sales for soda pop. This week the local Albrtson's (Jewel)
has a Pepsi products 2 ltr sale for $0.79 each.
The add in the paper and on the stores website said "Pepsi Products 79 cents each 2lt. Limit 4.

Now all of us soda pop freaks,know that the limit is for the first 4 bottles and then regular price for any more over the limit.

I was shopping this morning by the Pepsi 2ltr display. A man who seemed a little shall I say elated, walks up to the display and fills his cart with 4 2ltr bottles of each Pepsi product he could find. LOL

I made the mistake of letting him know about the 4 bottle limit. Note: the sign did not say limit for of each flavor. I thought I was doing him a favor. Now If I for a moment thought I could buy more than 4 bottles at that price I would. LOL

This guy in broken English starts speaking at me with a stern tone. He said that he buys sale pop like this all the time. I just smiled and said so be it. LOL He was not worth an argument. LOL

Was my thinking on this correct?

[ 03-18-2006, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

kiss5150
03-18-2006, 10:53 AM
I think all in all you should not be concerened with anything that he was buying.

If somebody did to me what you did to him, I would have probably been more than "stern"

I mean seriously what did that matter to you?

Mr Nethead
03-18-2006, 10:53 AM
I've never gone over the limit because I always thought that seemed kinda selfish. It never occurred to me that they raise the price if you exceed the limit.

Does anyone know for sure?

Mr Zabe
03-18-2006, 11:02 AM
I was trying to be friendly. I do not mind when someone
helps me even if it's unsolicited
help.We are a friendly bunch for the most part here in the Windy City.

Now if I was rude or disrespectful or even got in his face than I deserve to get some crap.

What does it matter to me .....not much. I tend to help others when I can. I guess to that extent I do care. Oh well it's more of a spiritual thing at least for me. smile.gif

[ 03-18-2006, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-18-2006, 02:02 PM
As a small humorous anecdote, there was a place who had a huge sale on Coke Zero fridge packs with a limit 4 in Virginia Beach last year. She'd pick up 4 12 packs every time she went into this store. A week later, her car's trunk was full of 12 packs.

One can certainly take advantage of these deals.

DJHS

pepsipimp
03-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Well as a merchandiser I have had similar encounters---For example: Telling customers that the store I work in doesn't sell Beer on Sunday's till after 1PM, and they look at me all pissed, or when you tell someone that a Cube is cheaper than 2 twelve packs and sometimes they have told me they prefer twelve packs!

pepsipimp
03-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Also at some grocery stores that use the 'club cards' once you go over the limit it does charge full price, however I think I have seen @ Target people buy over the limit when we had Grand Opening 12Pks for 1.89/ Limit 8...

Mr Zabe
03-18-2006, 06:12 PM
This store has a preferred membership used for in store sales. Everyone has one. Just about all sale items require a preferred card.

DrPepperYummy
03-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:

Now all of us soda pop freaks,know that the limit is for the first 4 bottles and then regular price for any more over the limit.

I was shopping this morning by the Pepsi 2ltr display. A man who seemed a little shall I say elated, walks up to the display and fills his cart with 4 2ltr bottles of each Pepsi product he could find. LOL

Well you might want to ask the store itself... my experience of sales at jewel that was owned by albertsons is the limit is per UPC... When we have special sales like this we make up POS to reflect that since they don't seem to point it out very clearly to the customer so we can increase sales for people who grab 4 per UPC... (same with their 12pack sales etc etc)

Mr Zabe
03-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I have never seen a POS by a 2ltr soda pop sale at Jewel. All I ever see is the Jewel sales POS sign. Actually I have never seen a hand written sign in all of the two local Jewels I shop at.
Maybe it's a local store managers call.

I do see all kinds of POS hand written signs at the local Mexican market, the local Certified stores (Burtera,Shop&Save) and sometimes at our local Dominick's (Safeway) store. I'm pretty sure these hand written signs are from the various vendors.

I remember when I was a merchandiser at P&G, we wrote up signs only with the permission of the store manager. The small Mom&Pop stores appreciated this but big chains stores had strict policies against these POS hand written signs.

[ 03-18-2006, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

pepsidew
03-18-2006, 07:32 PM
some lady came into one of my accounts earlier this week and grabbed 10 dew 2lts and 20 diet dr pepper 2lts - people love to freak out and empty the shelf 5 minutes after i fill it smile.gif

Mr Zabe
03-18-2006, 07:41 PM
LOL
Well it's hard work for you but I'm sure your Mother-ship Pepsi likes to see customers buy and buy in bulk. :D

I'm a little ignorant. Does your truck have extra stock for accounts that have a need to cover a big purchase or do you have to have it on your next scheduled visit?

[ 03-18-2006, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
03-18-2006, 07:59 PM
What truck? The stuff is delivered earlier that day (or maybe even a few days before), and is waiting in the back to be taken to the shelf.

If a customer clears out the shelf of a brand, and you don't have any more in the back, you'll just have to order more the next time you write an order. No big deal, except it disappoints the customers who want to purchase a bottle or two of that brand, and someone else has cleaned them out.

They are probably ringing up four bottles at a time. Some stores will allow this, but if he's buying cartfulls, and nothing else, they may but the kibbosh on it. I have seen stores make a person go back in line repeatedly to get the sale prices after the limits.

It's also not fair to the other customers waiting in line that you are purchasing a ton of items, with only four items on each receipt. Which means you have to keep giving the cashier money and getting change. It takes forever.

He was most likely buying them for his store.

Around here, ShopRite will put "limit four per variety" in their ad for some items.

Green River
03-18-2006, 10:41 PM
There wasn't a limit or anything,but yesterday at a local gas station called Ray's they had 6 Aruba Jam 12 oz's left so I bought them all and the guy at the register looked mad.I wasn't really being selfish I mean Aruba Jam has been discontinued for crying out loud.

Mr Zabe
03-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey,if your willing to pay for it and there is no restriction, then like you said big freaken deal. When we had our business, if a customer wanted to buy all of one item no matter what it was, we were glad to do so. The idea is to sell stuff at a profit.

This kind of "customer service gets me all revved up. You are not selfish in the least.

[ 03-18-2006, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Green River, your actions are completely honest and are understandable.

DJHS

Green River
03-19-2006, 12:56 AM
"Green River, your actions are completely honest and are understandable.

Exactly DJHS smile.gif

Doug
03-19-2006, 01:51 AM
At the store I work at, it's general policy that if someone exceeds the limit, you use common sense that they are not going to be using it for business or resale uses

i.e. We get Asian people that come in trying to buy all our 12 packs of Coke so they can get them cheaply for freebies at their restaurant

Other than that, usually we give the people who appear to be using it for personal uses a little leeway in exceeding the posted limit

01GTB
03-19-2006, 02:18 AM
My Dad hits up all the stores when there is a sale. If Walgreens or CVS or someone like that has a limit, he gets the limit and moves on to the next store. There are no shortage of these stores in the area. He had a heck a deal going on for quite a while. Dr Pepper put 55 cent coupons on the 2 liters off and on a long time. Eckerd's, before CVS took them over, would have 2L Dr Peppers on sale for $.69 quite often...do the math :D It disturbs him greatly to have to pay over a buck for a 2L

fusion
03-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
The idea is to sell stuff at a profit.
But a customer only buying loss leader soda is not "selling stuff at a profit."

Mr Zabe
03-19-2006, 07:50 PM
Please explain your point I may be having a brainfreze, I do not follow what you are saying.
Ok,I just re-read my original post. I can see your point. If a person buys a cart full of loss leader soda pop (no restrictions) that does not mean he/she is going to re-sell them at a store. It could be for personal use or a big party. I do see your point. Tks

I meant in my post that, regardless of who buys our stock of of goods(total quantity); as long as we make our proffit we do not care if one customer buys it out. Granted this is for a smaller Ma & Pa business type of stores.

[ 03-19-2006, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]