PDA

View Full Version : Dr Brown's Cel-Ray

whiteyk
03-18-2006, 10:45 PM
The world is coming to an end! Reports are that canada dry will cease producing Dr Brown's Cel-Ray forever. How can this be? Is anyone doing anything about this, and is anyone interested in a campaign to keep this unique ( de rigeur with corned beef and pastrami!) soda alive?

Green River
03-18-2006, 11:11 PM
I dont know its not all that tasty,but then again it shouldn't be discontinued.

ithastabeshasta
03-19-2006, 06:16 PM
That is sad news since it has been around for a very long time. but I must agree it is one nasty tasting drink.

Lepke
03-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Some of my earliest memories were of my father taking me to Za Mar kosher deli in Brighton beach Brooklyn, next to the oceanic movie theater.
There I would have the most wonderful treat I had ever tasted. Dr. Brown’s cel-ray soda.
As a child I thought this beverage was so special, so unique, so tasty with a corned beef sandwich. “Wow soda that taste like celery”
As an adult I find cel-ray soda disgusting but it’s nice to know it’s still out there.
It will suck if this unique drink is gone forever.

Theta Sigma
04-03-2006, 03:58 AM
I'm glad to see it go. Few things could directly cause to vomit without having turned, and this was one of them.

I love Dr Browns Black Cherry though.

Lepke
04-09-2006, 06:08 PM
One popular seltzer drink was Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Tonic, which was sold in every Jewish New York deli. A doctor who treated immigrant children on the Lower East Side developed this seltzer, filled with celery seeds and sugar, in 1869. "Generation after generation was weaned on the stuff," said Harry Gold, marketing director of Dr. Brown's. "World War II's population explosion produced children who hungered for Dr. Brown's. Now you can find it in most states." In the early thirties before Coca-Cola became kosher, many Jews started drinking Cel-Ray soda as well as his cream and cherry sodas.

from..
http://www.koshertoday.com/history.asp