PDA

View Full Version : So, what's the deal with BevNet's reviews?

SuperAmmo
03-20-2006, 07:38 PM
When anyone reads these, do you ever feel like the reviewer is Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons? It's like there's no satisfying them unless you're some underground company no one's heard of/cares about. Anything from Pepsi/Coke is called mediocre at best. They say Surge was bad, but when Vault is released, they say they should have stuck with Surge...what???

Does this bother anyone else? Maybe I'm not a hardcore beverage freak (I only found this place due to an obsession with diet pop last year as I was cutting weight), but it makes me think "Geez...get over yourselves."

Thoughts?

Mr Zabe
03-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Your now an offical board mate. LOL Nearly (not all) of us has said pretty much the same things at one time or another. I for one agree with you. LOL

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-20-2006, 07:48 PM
SuperAmmo sounds like me.

I echo Zabe's response.

DJHS

mjb1124
03-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Heh...I can just imagine Comic Book Guy sitting at his computer, taking a sip of Coke or Pepsi's newest offering, and saying "Worst...soda...ever!"

Nick Laugher
03-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Haha, I was just thinking that miki.

It does seem like BevNet is quite hard to please and even somewhat biased.

Mr Zabe
03-20-2006, 10:16 PM
N.L.
LOL....Just like being somewhat pregnant. LOL

Doug
03-20-2006, 11:00 PM
I wish the ratings were more of a consensus of a group of people rather than 1 person's opinion of something

Hollow Man
03-20-2006, 11:09 PM
We feel your pain (http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003640).

-HM

SuperAmmo
03-20-2006, 11:11 PM
"Heh...I can just imagine Comic Book Guy sitting at his computer, taking a sip of Coke or Pepsi's newest offering, and saying "Worst...soda...ever!" "

That's EXACTLY how I see it. It's like, get off your freaking high horse. It's ridiculous, IMO.

SURGE
03-21-2006, 01:15 AM
Agreed just check out the review of the Steven Segal energy drink. Bar none the dumbest idea in history in the perhaps the most pathetic can design in existance and it gets a 3 star.

http://bevnet.com/images/reviews/lightning_energy_steven_seagal/LightningBoltRed.jpg

They must be smoking something to think a product like that is more viable than VAULT (2 star) or many of the other products that scored worse. They even suggest moving Steve's mug higher on the can (in a Buddhist pose!!) instead of just dropping him altogether. As noted earlier there are also many inconsistancies in the reviews. Sometimes it seems they care more about the flavor, other times its the market viabuility, and often its just pretty much packagining. Not everybody is bound to agree with any review but the way BevNet does them is inconsistant and unrealiable. These reviews seem to try to serve distributiors as well as consumers and store owners but in the end they try to appeal too broadly. I'm glad they are here and they do provide a service but that doesn't mean I don't think they are pretty useless- even though I would say I generally agree with them, more or less.

[ 03-21-2006, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: SURGE ]

Mr Zabe
03-21-2006, 01:26 AM
Ditto!!!
Nice venting. smile.gif

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-21-2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah, in previous threads we definitely concluded that the reviews are not soley for consumers, and as such they take too much into account in terms of uniqueness of product, packaging, and overall style, which is why Vault scored so low, because it's basicaly Surge reincarnated.

That was a long sentence.

DJHS

SURGE
03-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Yeah agreed I just wish they were more consistant. Vault is just an example that I'm farmiliar with but there are dozens more at the expense of both Pepsi and Coke. Glad they are here but I can't imagine to whom they would actually appeal to.

JP QuikServ Drinks
03-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by SURGE:
Agreed just check out the review of the Steven Segal energy drink. Bar none the dumbest idea in history in the perhaps the most pathetic can design in existance and it gets a 3 star.

http://bevnet.com/images/reviews/lightning_energy_steven_seagal/LightningBoltRed.jpg

They must be smoking something to think a product like that is more viable than VAULT (2 star) or many of the other products that scored worse. They even suggest moving Steve's mug higher on the can (in a Buddhist pose!!) instead of just dropping him altogether. As noted earlier there are also many inconsistancies in the reviews. Sometimes it seems they care more about the flavor, other times its the market viabuility, and often its just pretty much packagining. Not everybody is bound to agree with any review but the way BevNet does them is inconsistant and unrealiable. These reviews seem to try to serve distributiors as well as consumers and store owners but in the end they try to appeal too broadly. I'm glad they are here and they do provide a service but that doesn't mean I don't think they are pretty useless- even though I would say I generally agree with them, more or less. i have to agree with surge here. is it any wonder why steven segals stupid drink got a higher rating then vault? hmm...lets analyze....

the can of the segal drink is completely absurd. who the hell would buy a drink sponsored by steven segal? what's next, bill clinton's condoms? well... actually that might work...

here's the answer to the question "why is this drink rated so highly?" how bout cus steven segal's drink paid off bevnet? hmm....

Green River
03-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Not only are they incredibly critical to soda,but they give the worst soda like Moxie good ratings. There are also some "MAJOR" beverages they are missing like:
Frostie
Bubble Up
Fanta citrus,peach,black cherry and pineapple,Strawberry and grape.
Code Red
Aruba Jam
Berry Clear

and finally "CRUSH",how can you not have crush :mad:

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-23-2006, 09:41 PM
BevNet critics learn from the master:...

http://www.holyobserver.com/issues/v01i11/images/cowell-thumbsdown_lg.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D LOL

[ 03-23-2006, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

Mr Zabe
03-23-2006, 10:08 PM
MrR
This has to be your best post ever.LMAO
Bravo!!!!

CCE Girlie
03-23-2006, 10:37 PM
LOL---Ramon!!!!

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks for your applauses... Thank you... ;) lol

jgator5
03-23-2006, 10:58 PM
I'd like to post a somewhat contrarian point of view. I like it that they don't automatically give out high scores to the big two's products - I feel that the mass produced drinks should be considered average and everything compared from there. That's not to say that a person can't think that (insert beverage from Coke or Pepsi here) isn't the greatest drink in the world - individual tastes can't be criticized, if you like it, you like it.

However, I do think that their reviews lack consistency, in terms of the ratings themselves (the 3-star rating for the Steven Seagal dring boggles the mind) and between the text of the review and the rating. Often, you can read in the text that the drink was average or decent, but the rating will be 3 1/2 or 4 stars.

AzRocks
03-23-2006, 10:58 PM
ya i agree with everyone- i am very against bevnets reviews- the only reason i come here is because of the forum- not becasue of the site

AzRocks
03-23-2006, 11:02 PM
"I like it that they don't automatically give out high scores to the big two's products"

They (almost) NEVER give a high score to anything made my coke or pepsi!

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by jgator5:
Often, you can read in the text that the drink was average or decent, but the rating will be 3 1/2 or 4 stars. That's true. All the time you'll hear BevNET slam a drink for the whole review, but then right at the end, they mention what great packaging it has and it gets and average to good rating.

DJHS

jblaviback
04-12-2006, 07:32 PM
I was reading their reviews of the Carpe Diem drinks when I noticed this. They say Kombucha is "Easily the best of the Carpe Diem beverage line". But it get's 3 1/2 stars whereas there are 2 other drinks that get four stars. Do they even proof read what they write? :rolleyes:

I also hate how they put so much into the look of the label and bottle. True beverage enthusiests know it's what's on the inside that counts.

iluvsurge220
04-12-2006, 11:39 PM
They gave Dr.Pepper Berries and Cream 2 1/2 stars. I think they said the vanilla flavor wasn't very strong and it was just a knock off of Cherry Vanilla. Well, the first drink off BC I took was the most vanilla I had ever tasted in a drink, and I don't think it tastes that much like CV if it tastes anything like it at all. Also, they said the label wasn't appealing to consumers. I think it is just fine, and it kind of has a retro look to it. I think it is nice, but just like you said jblaviback, it's what's on the inside that counts, not the label.