PDA

View Full Version : coke zero in soda fountains?

popologist
03-25-2006, 12:50 PM
has anyone seen coke zero in a soda fountain yet?

because, i was thinking, for this drink to grab any real market share, it's going to have to claim some real estate on the soda fountain (don't fountain sales account for a large percent of coke's sales... and does anyone know what percentage that is?).

i realize that space on fountains is limited, and, to put zero on there would make it direct competition for diet coke and/or bump some other coke product, so... it may never happen.

any thoughts? will this ever happen?

Mr Zabe
03-25-2006, 01:24 PM
You know me, I always have a thought to add. LMAO
My two cents.

I do not have a real idea of how Coke Zero is doing in it's strong markets (Coke Zero quarter to quarter comparisons) and weaker Markets.

Just an arm chair guess. Coke Zero as regional soda pop and as a national soda pop is still not strong enough (market share,unit sales) to be sold as fountain soda pop. Coca Cola most likely has been or will do some test markets with Coke Zero fountain and BOB.

Coca Cola IMO wants to test the waters first to justify roll a out Coke Zero fountain/BOB. They are in business for profit and so are the bottlers and retailers (resturnats,bars,fast food). The last thing Coca Cola would want is to replace a "seller" on the fountain and replace it with Coke Zero that has not yet peaked in brand identification, especially with Diet Coke in the same line up. For now Diet Coke is still a "cash cow"

I mean that if Coke Zero is not accepted as a fountain selection it could be a detriment to Diet Coke's market share due to confusing customers about each brands unique taste.

[ 03-25-2006, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

SuperAmmo
03-25-2006, 08:15 PM
I think customers are confused enough regardless of whether or not it goes to a fountain.

Hell, if I hadn't found this site last year I would have thought Zero was just an improved Diet Coke (a la Pepsi One to Diet Pepsi), not a whole different drink.

mjb1124
03-25-2006, 09:43 PM
A lot of fountains have two taps each for Coke and Diet Coke, so why not replace one of those extra taps with Zero?

popologist
03-26-2006, 12:03 AM
i suppose it's all about "variety" and "demand." restaurants (and coke) want to give customers as much variety as possible.

also, even though i LOVE coke zero, and no longer drink diet coke, if i go to mcdonald's or a restaurant, i just order diet, or regular coke, since they don't have zero. i don't walk out. so, basically, coke isn't losing any sales by not adding zero to its fountain line-up.

Mr Zabe
03-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Excellent point...Popologist.
Coca Cola and the food service industry know that most "normal" people go to restaurants to eat food.

Us soda pop freaks have 70/30 percent chance of choosing a restaurant for what beverage company the have. LOL I guess that's why I will go to Taco Bell once in a while. I'm NOT crazy about Taco Bell's food but I do love a good Pepsi soda fountain. (IMO In Chi Town Pepsi soda fountains are not found as much.)

[ 03-26-2006, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

killjimmy
03-26-2006, 02:58 AM
I'm pretty sure meijer has it in their fountain near me.

XLS_04
03-26-2006, 04:08 AM
the only stuff in most soda fountains are coke, diet coke (will be very very hard to kill that stuff off), and sprite...the other flavors vary by store, however I have not seen Coke zero or C2 in soda fountains yet.

I honestly don't think Coke zero will take diet Coke's sales, bad enough people still don't know what it is yet, and with 3 separate diet formulas from the same main product who can blame them.

Mr Zabe
03-26-2006, 04:20 AM
I agree with your insight. That's been my big annoyance. The short term marketing of Coke's diet and no carb cola soda pop IMO is a disaster.
If the marketing was done better, from the roll out forward people would have seen the brands for what they are. Speaking for myself (not about the soda pop industry)if I see a slightly changed product, chances are I will not buy it. Money is tight, I want to know what I'm getting.

And so it is with soda pop, people want to know what they are buying,period. Can you blame them?

[ 03-26-2006, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Ram0n C0keah0lic
03-26-2006, 04:38 AM
That's true!... I didn't saw any restaurant or store selling Coke Zero on fountains... neither in the World of Coca-Cola in Vegas, but the funniest thing is that C2 is available in fountain there...

[ 03-26-2006, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

popologist
03-26-2006, 05:19 PM
you can partly blame walmart for that.

diet coke with splenda wouldn't even be around if it weren't for walmart INSISTING that coke create it.

and, if dc with splenda is around in another year, it will only be because walmart demands it.

as we've said more than once on this forum, coke zero might've been better served if it were a splenda/ace-k blend.

that would've given people 2 reasons to buy it, (1) it tastes like coke classic, and (2) that it's made with splenda instead of aspertame.

it may turn out in the end that that's exactly what happens. and, so far as taste isn't compromised, i wouldn't mind.

diet coke just tastes really bad to me these days, and, because i like zero so much, i'm sure i drink, at least, twice as much as i used to drink of diet coke.

Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
I agree with your insight. That's been my big annoyance. The short term marketing of Coke's diet and no carb cola soda pop IMO is a disaster.
If the marketing was done better, from the roll out forward people would have seen the brands for what they are. Speaking for myself (not about the soda pop industry)if I see a slightly changed product, chances are I will not buy it. Money is tight, I want to know what I'm getting.

And so it is with soda pop, people want to know what they are buying,period. Can you blame them?

MDCoke
03-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Locating Coke Zero continues to become more difficult. In Frederick, MD not one convenience store has it in 20 oz. bottles. Not in any machines, and was recently removed from the machine at Wal-Mart. I thought this might be regional until I travelled to Charlotte, NC last week. I could not find Coke Zero anywhere. Not looking good folks, it seems Zero is going the way of Citra, Surge, and all those fine sodas Coke debuts and then dumps.

DJ HawaiianShirt
03-27-2006, 12:14 AM
It's surprising that it's so unobtainable in a place as near as Frederick.

I can find it anywhere I want here in DC.

DJHS

fusion
03-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Our 20oz are now coming with the "every 35 seconds" promo labels and caps. 2 liters and 12 packs are plentiful as well.. and now we have the 6 pack cans also, 2/$3 at Walmart (along with Vault and Vault Zero).

XLS_04
03-27-2006, 03:11 AM
funny thing about walmart and Diet Coke with Splenda, The walmart's that are around here do not carry it. Coke zero they have (and that is because the workers are forced to put it every where) but not Diet Coke with Splenda, they never had it to begin with here either.

Now that I think about it Walmart is missing alot of Coke products that you would normally see in the supermarket. They carry just the standard brands basically.

Mr Zabe
03-27-2006, 03:23 AM
I believe Walmart makes higher profits on it's own soda pop. IMO Walmart wants a Big Three soda limited presence to please customers and try to get them to buy their store brands.

Does this make any sense?

[ 03-27-2006, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

popologist
03-27-2006, 01:20 PM
as far as not finding coke zero in certain areas, i suppose it makes sense that zero is going to sell in areas where diet coke sells well.

diet coke outsells coke classic in nyc, and i see coke zero pretty much everywhere now. in fact, at one local grocery, that had a larger section of coke zero than diet coke... which i found surprising.

as for diet coke with splenda... if walmart has abandoned it, then it might not survive. though, i think coke SHOULD have a splenda alternative. so, maybe they should reformulate coke zero with splenda (i just hope it doesn't change the taste).

this way, coke zero would have more of a reason to be in fountains. diet coke for the aspertame lovers, and zero for the splenda consumer.

this would also give coke a 1-2 punch against diet pepsi... since pepsi one is barely relevant anymore.

mjb1124
03-27-2006, 02:14 PM
I know that a test formula of Coke Zero had Splenda, and from what I've heard, it wasn't as good as the formula that ultimately was released.

popologist
03-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by mikibacsi1124:
I know that a test formula of Coke Zero had Splenda, and from what I've heard, it wasn't as good as the formula that ultimately was released. in that case, i hope they don't change the formula then. i think it tastes great the way it is.

i still see DC with splenda in my neighborhood, so, i guess somebody's buying it.

i didn't really like the taste so much though. it tasted "lemony" to me. and i hated DC with lemon.

Mr Zabe
03-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Coke Zero IMO is a good soda pop with it's original formula.

popologist
03-28-2006, 01:22 AM
yeah. coke finally got a product right. it's probably best that we don't ask them to change it. LOL.