PDA

View Full Version : Citra now called Fanta Citrus

karks88
03-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Hey everyone a SURGE fan posted something to the SaveSURGE.org message board this weekend that he wrote to Coca-Cola about the status of both SURGE and Citra. In their reply, Coke says that Citra has now been renamed Fanta Citrus and if you go to www.fanta.com (http://www.fanta.com) it is listed as one of their flavors. Coke has nothing about this on their own site.

Here is a pic of the bottle:

http://www.savesurge.org/surge/fantacitrus.jpg

I can't wait until I can find some!

XLS_04
03-08-2004, 01:10 PM
not sold here.

karks88
03-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Apparently it launches this month but I haven't been able to find any specific dates.

DPDude
03-08-2004, 05:28 PM
So they're discontinuing Citra? I just bought a 20oz bottle of it yesterday in New Braunfels, TX. I'll have to go stock up now.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-08-2004, 06:10 PM
what's the date on it dpdude? who's making it?

XLS_04
03-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Citra was discontinued here last year.

teamtitan512
03-08-2004, 10:20 PM
I have a feeling this will only be in Fanta-supplied areas currently. I figured the Fanta name was dying for the most part for its short stint in the US. I kind of wish they'd just get it gone, Minute Maid sells much better in the Northeast.

Terry K
03-09-2004, 02:46 AM
We heard rumblings that Citra made the cut to Fridge packs in a few places. We're trying to get one.

fusion
03-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Food Lion was producing tags for Citra FPs after we changed over to FPs last year. Citra never showed up, though. But this is nothing new. We've gotten tags for probably ten different things that we never produced, like Fresca, Diet Vanilla, and Sprite Remix in 16.9oz 6pk, Mello Yello Melon in FPs, and so on. Who knows?!?!

DPDude
03-09-2004, 07:34 PM
I didn't check the date on the bottle. If it was expired it had no effect on me. I survived the experience. Funny you ask that though. I did find a bunch of expired Cactus Cooler (20oz) at a store in Garden Ridge, TX. The date mark on it was 11/29/2003 or something.

DPDude
03-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Sorry RunWithDaLilGuy, I forgot to mention that in this part of the country Citra is bottled by Coca-Cola Bottling of the Southwest. They've been big on the Fanta varieties lately but I haven't seen the Fanta Citrus yet.

fusion
03-09-2004, 09:36 PM
My guess is that Texas and Florida will see this "new" flavor first..

tommyistommy(from SS.org)
03-09-2004, 09:39 PM
i wount get it cause fanta isent here. :rolleyes:

bigrich
03-09-2004, 09:58 PM
I hope we will get it in Indianapolis because we never had Citra. Before CCE we had Herbco and they did'nt produce it. I figure with our large Hispanic population it would fair well against Mexican Fresca.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-09-2004, 10:11 PM
thx dpdude. citra was widely available in michigan where cce didn't have squirt (so outside of the metro detroit area). squirt's a big seller here, considering the former brooks beverage of holland, michigan used to actually own the brand (as well as a&w).

brooks was a massive bottler and distributor and had far reaching power throughout the midwest and down the I-75 corridor. i once found brooks product in kentucky. if you see rounded and green 7UP 2Liter shells with "bbmi" on it, that's brooks old shells, before the whole american buyout and now all these shells are everywhere.

still can't figure out where kemmerrer was and what they did. i think it had something to do with crush...

bigrich
03-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Kemmerrer Bottling was bought by Select Beverages, now ABC. They had plants in Darian, IL, Northlake, IL & Indianapolis, IN.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-09-2004, 11:38 PM
i figured that, since that's where american shuffles their caps around, but did they just do crush or were they all sorts of dpsu?

and back to fanta citrus...i'm excited to see it. i <3 citra.

karks88
03-10-2004, 09:52 AM
I've already put in a request with Net Grocer to carry it because I really doubt it's ever coming to my area of PA. As long as I can get it somewhere I'll be happy smile.gif

bigrich
03-10-2004, 05:51 PM
Kemmerrer Bottling was at one time Joyce Beverages, AKA Seven Up Chicago & Indianapolis. They had many glass bottling plants in Illinois and Indiana at one time. They did mainly 7-UP, Like, Tom-Tom, Welches, Double Cola, Ski, & Rhondo, to name a few. They also did DR Pepper in Illinois.

SURGE
03-14-2004, 06:19 PM
The real question is whether indies will continue to carry it as Citra or change it to Fanta. This will especially be interesting if they don't provide other Fanta flavors. In which case they may keep it as Citra unless dictated that they can't by Coke.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-14-2004, 08:54 PM
karks - i highly doubt that there's much more labels and purple caps around...

Terry K
03-15-2004, 02:52 AM
We've been tipped that Bakersfield CA is one getting it. We had Citra (until a couple months ago), so I wouldn't be shocked to see it.

(And a Pepsi guy hinted he heard from his bosses to start pushing Squirt since Coke has a competitor in the works)

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-15-2004, 10:49 AM
pepsi has squirt there? do they do diet, ruby red and ruby red diet? i only saw pepsi have squirt once, in utah (swire coke country) and they only carried regular squirt.

fusion
03-15-2004, 11:05 AM
I remember when Herb territory in NE Pennsylvania carried all four varieties of Squirt.. but most of the red/diet red seemed to be out of date in most of the accounts I went into. When CCE bought Herb out, they dropped it (along with Welch's and Sunkist) like a hot potato.

Cheer-wined
03-15-2004, 01:09 PM
The Pepsi bottler in Norton, VA (far western part of the state, almost in KY) has Squirt but only regular, IIRC.

drpep
03-15-2004, 08:35 PM
Ruby Red Squirt in Buffalo NY.

teamtitan512
03-15-2004, 11:40 PM
I remember when Herbco had all 4 Squirts as well. ABC kept them all after Herbco dropped them. CCE made some bad business decisions in Westcentral PA, and their market share is paying for it. It was a strong Pepsi region anyway, but ABC maybe hitting #2 for in-store sales.

DPDude
03-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Speaking of citrus sodas, does Pepsi make one? I don't count Mountain Dew because it's in a class by itself and isn't the same as Squirt or Citra.

Terry K
03-16-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by RunWithDaLilGuy:
pepsi has squirt there? do they do diet, ruby red and ruby red diet? i only saw pepsi have squirt once, in utah (swire coke country) and they only carried regular squirt. My local Pepsi guy (PBG) has Squirt (I'm in Kern County which is the dividing line for DP and Squirt in So. Cal), they market Diet Squirt in 12 pks only, and just regular squirt in 20 oz/2 liter/12 pk/24pk cube. Red Squirt can't be found until Fresno (again by Pepsi)

I need to make it down to LA and find out what the Coke guy has there for Squirt. I know Worland (you know them, you love them) has Ruby Red in Cool Packs, along with Diet Squirt. =)

NLE Dan
03-16-2004, 02:19 PM
You guys need to come here to Chicago. I can get everythig here. I've got all varieties of Squirt, Multiple kinds of Sunkist, Welches, and the Fantas. Now I'm not exactly sure who all is distributing it around here, but I'm am sure to find out soon

Robot
03-16-2004, 03:14 PM
where in chicago do you find the other fantas?

i can only find grape, strawberry and orange.

i used to be able to find pineapple, but not anymore.

never seen the other fanta varieties in chicago, but certainly looking for fanta citrus now.

please post if you find it somewhere!

bigrich
03-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Fanta Berry used to be available in 20oz. in Chicago.

fusion
03-16-2004, 09:56 PM
The other Fantas are regional. AFAIK, Philly was the only one to produce Black Cherry, and Consolidated produced Peach. Berry was CCE, and popped up in various places including the NYC area, and Florida.

XLS_04
03-17-2004, 01:06 AM
there are only 3 flavors left here. i remember when there was 5-6 flavors available.

NLE Dan
03-17-2004, 04:00 AM
Actually the few places that I have seen the Fantas, is a couple of stores in North Chicago/ Zion, Waukegan. And I saw them recently in Kenosha at Woodmanns. They carry everything there, but not always at once, they get a bunch of stuff, then the next month it's gone, then it appears back again a little while later.

Robot
03-17-2004, 12:30 PM
well, anyone please post info when you find the product in a store (the citra version) or if you hear anything regarding its production

ben
03-23-2004, 02:15 AM
FANTA CITRUS is here in mami (we still have CITRA for some reason)

karks88
03-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Excellent news! I'm going to start searching the web again, maybe somebody is selling it online.

By the way here is an article about it in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Coke to boost marketing of Fanta

By SCOTT LEITH
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/23/04

Coca-Cola has started a push to boost sales of Fanta in the United States, including a new flavor and an ad campaign with several new spots.

Fanta, a major global brand for Coke, has quietly become a success story in the U.S. since the brand's re-emergence in 2001 after being largely absent for years.

According to Beverage Digest, Fanta sales increased 11 percent in 2003, to 93.5 million cases.

Jed Selkowitz, associate brand manager for Fanta, said the line is now one of the fastest-growing in Coke's overall U.S. soft drink portfolio.

To expand the brand, Coke is converting Citra to the name Fanta Citrus. The drink's main name-brand competitor is Squirt, a product of Cadbury Schweppes.

With the addition of citrus, Fanta now is sold in 10 flavors in the United States.

"It made a lot of sense for us to fold Citra under the Fanta umbrella," Selkowitz said. The transition started March 15.

Fanta's new ads have already started to appear on national cable TV. The spots again feature the "Fantanas" and the tagline "Don't you wanta."

Spending was not disclosed. The ads are from Ogilvy & Mather.

[ 03-23-2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

XLS_04
03-23-2004, 08:55 PM
they keep re-introducing this stuff.

anyways I doubt Fanta Citrus will be sold here because berry Fanty was never sold here.

I have also never seen a Fanta commercial on tv.

[ 03-23-2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: XLS_04 ]

drpep
03-23-2004, 09:30 PM
Karks88 take what Coca-Cola loveer says with a grain of salt. He trashed another soda forum board earlier this year.

karks88
03-24-2004, 08:21 AM
I actually saw a Fanta commercial last night on NBC!

Hacksaw
04-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Did the commercial have the 4 young women on the Fanta site?

Strange, the Fanta site has yet to reply to my question about where to buy Fanta Red Cream, Ginger Ale, & Tangerine around here.

Yes, Citra is on the way out around here in favor of Fanta Citrus. I'll wait to try it.

karks88
04-06-2004, 10:01 AM
The Fanta commercial did indeed have those women in it smile.gif It had a very latin feel. Unfortunately I still haven't seen Fanta around here.

XLS_04
04-06-2004, 01:40 PM
It's all over the place in Europe too.

redcremesoda
04-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Hacksaw, my man! Fanta Red Cream!!! I was hoping I wasn't the only one looking for Red Cream to return now that the Fanta name has been revived.

Alas, Red Cream has not entered the Fanta revival - YET <he typed with crossed fingers>. Have you tried Barq's Red Creme? It's been awhile since I had Fanta Red Cream but I swear the Barq's version tastes just like Fanta did back in the day. Since Fanta & Barq's are both Coca-Cola, I wonder if it's the same recipe?

If you get any response from Fanta, please share with the team.