PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Edge

Sea bass
03-12-2004, 01:17 PM
I hear Pepsi is adding a new low carb, sugar free cola this summer called Pepsi Edge. They are going to use splenda and corn syrup. Anyone have more info on this cola? Personally, I am not a big fan of artificial sweeteners! :eek:

toby1
03-12-2004, 01:27 PM
I believe that the whole low/no carb craz has less than another year on its shelf life.

Everything should be taken in moderation. Especially SUM people.

Terry K
03-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Pepsi Edge won't be a Diet soda, (its definately got sugar in it)

Splenda is actually made from Sugar so it may be quite tasty after all. One good thing is this will be the first Pepsi Lower calorie NOT to have Aspertame in it!

XLS_04
03-12-2004, 05:44 PM
I am looking forward to this too. But like I said in another post, they could have used a different name. But it's not a big deal. Hopefully this will last longer than Pepsi One or Pepsi Blue. Yes finally one of the big 2 brands are using Splenda!

Terry K
03-13-2004, 01:25 AM
Anyone wanna go out on a limb and figure out what Pepsi ripped off for this product? (Think about it a minute)

PhillySteve
03-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Pepsi XL? tongue.gif

Just kidding, Terry. If you mean the Splenda part it's obviously Diet Rite, but I think that's where all diet sodas are heading. It's not unlike the big switch to aspartame. That damn Nutrasweet swirl was on everything.

Energydude
03-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Pepsi one did not work why would Pepsi 60 work?
Using a great product like Splenda and still mixing in HFCS??? I guess its a start, the best thing to do would be drop the word Edge and make it Pepsi. Who needs more HFCS anyway?????

XLS_04
03-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by PhillySteve:
Pepsi XL? tongue.gif

Just kidding, Terry. If you mean the Splenda part it's obviously Diet Rite, but I think that's where all diet sodas are heading. It's not unlike the big switch to aspartame. That damn Nutrasweet swirl was on everything. I agree all companies will eventually use Splenda. I remember NutraSweet was out a few years before any of the 2 big names started to use them.

If I remember correctly diet pepsi used NutraSweet first and diet Coke was still using sacharin.

Sea bass
03-13-2004, 10:09 PM
What was Pepsi Free?? Was it a caffeine free bev?? Or did it have a sugar substitute? I can't remember, it has been a long time!

PhillySteve
03-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Yeah, Pepsi Free was caffeine free Pepsi. Pepsi XL was a reduced calorie soda for the mid-90's that was about half sugar and half aspartame. I don't think it ever went national though.

"You gonna order something, kid?"
"Ah, yeah... Give me a Tab."
"Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something."
"Alright, give me a Pepsi Free."
"You want a Pepsi, Pal, you're gonna pay for it."

Energydude
03-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Better late than never but I think Diet Coke should move to Splenda too. Get rid of Aspartame.
By the way I had an orange crush today... brought back a lot of memories.

XLS_04
03-14-2004, 02:12 PM
Pepsi XL didn't make it past test market.

There was Pepsi AM which was Pepsi with more caffeine. That also did not make it past test market.

Energydude
03-14-2004, 03:24 PM
What would probably pass the test market is making a better product. People would respond to a better made product.

SplitLevelP
03-18-2004, 01:50 AM
Pepsi consumer rel. 1 800-433-2652 has a official answer now saying Pepsi edge will be out by summer.The other summer release will be Live Wire.So much for only summer 2003.The stuff was good.That is not a shot.As far as Pepsi Edge goes my wife has blood sugar issues. So this may be what the doc ordered. To have a yummy drink not be diet with Aspercrap or full blown corn syrup to send her sugar to the moon.

Terry K
03-18-2004, 03:08 AM
No one remembers RC Edge? :D

Robot
03-18-2004, 03:26 AM
RC Edge was just a higher caffeine RC , no?

I just remember seeing it with the WWF logo on it, I guess it was cross promoted with WWF.. if they put it out again, I'd pick it up for sure.. as I like RC and I likes me some caffeine.

I will most likely give Pepsi Edge a try, and if I like it, make it a drink I pick up regularly.. I drink alot of cola, and split my soda habits between regular and diet about 50/50.. So my fridge is usually stacked with:

Coca-Cola
Mt. Dew
Hawaiian Punch flavors
Goose Island Root Beer

and for diet: diet canfields chocolate fudge, fresca, diet sierra mist

Pepsi Edge will certainly take a place in there, at least replacing Pepsi One.