PDA

View Full Version : 1.5L in the US

fusion
03-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I've heard rumblings that Coke is going to switch over from 2L to 1.5L in at least some markets in the US.

Berryclear Remix has been authorized in the chains here, and I was looking at some sheets for our military commissary, and they've got a Berryclear 1.5L bottle listed in there! I thought that was odd. Of course, they've also got fridgepack, 2L, 20oz listed, along with 16.9oz 6pk, which I doubt we'll ever see.

Any thoughts?

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-20-2004, 11:45 PM
i've heard rumblings of 1.5's for years fusion. it would drop the price from 1.49 to probably 99 here. it'd kill the one liter too, which coke thinks is a bane of its existence anyway.

fusion
03-20-2004, 11:57 PM
the 1L works for mixers, but we don't even bother to sell Coke/Sprite/Diet/Nestea in the supermarkets.. They're only really sold in convenience stores, and I think some bar type places order them. I agree, dump the 1L soda flavors.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-21-2004, 04:30 AM
keep the mixers, dump the rest.

agreed.

the costs are too high. places don't make enough on them unless they sell 20 cases a week.

fusion
07-12-2004, 08:41 PM
1.5 liters are doing terribly in NYC metro.

Coke lost a ton of market share, and now they are .1 behind Pepsi -- 34.2 to 34.3 (Seltzer, Snapple, and private label are pretty strong in that market).

Previously they had 38.5 to Pepsi's 32.9. I remember when I worked up there in the late 90's -- Coke was #2 until CCE bought Coke NY out.

Coke's sales fell 12.7% in supermarkets, I believe in the 3 month period ending in the middle of June. Ouch.

teamtitan512
07-13-2004, 01:17 AM
Wow. Looks like this size was as I thought...a terrible idea!

XLS_04
07-13-2004, 01:51 AM
of course it was a bad idea, the side was smaller and the price stayed the same.

manykats
07-15-2004, 07:38 PM
i like the 1.5L i dont like the price though

SplitLevelP
07-20-2004, 10:37 PM
The more I hear about this 1.5 liter from friends back in nyc and the internet buzz people are pissed! They are finding that the 2 liters are vanishing and the 1.5 liters are about the same price.the the company’s North America unit President and Chief Operating Officer Donald Knauss at coke had this to say... Asked why Coca-Cola has recently started selling its soft drinks in 1.5-liter bottles instead of the old 2-liter size, but charging the same amount, Knauss said it’s both a response to inflation and to ‘‘maximize revenue for the customer.’’
‘‘We’re testing a couple of different price points, we’ll see where it nets out,” Knauss said of the new bottle size, which is being tested in New York.
He said Coca-Cola is trying to determine if 1.5 liters is a better portion size for consumers, who complain that soda in a
2-liter bottle often goes flat in the refrigerator. as for the public Public feedback link 1 (http://www.planetfeedback.com/sharedLettersList/0,2941,102368-72-0-0-20-0-fb_date-desc,00.html) Public feedback link 2 (http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=42637) This is going over like taking away classic coke did in 1985.the fact that i'm well north of the city puts me outside the range of the tri state area bottler.So I still have 1 liter & 2 liter bottles Here in Little falls.that could change if people sit quiet and let this concept make money and make it a no brainer to go national.Pepsi consumer affirs stated today they have no plans to follow suit and are sticking with the current packaging.However as we all know that can change fast if the money is there and if this concept works in NYC.Since this is the same company that said in responce to vanilla coke that it was to vanilla and would not follow suit.yet today we see pepsi vanilla in the stores.

bigrich
07-21-2004, 01:15 AM
In Indianapolis Pepsi Americas has started stocking 1.5L in supermarkets along with 2L. we also have 6-pack 12oz PET, 6-pack 500ml PET, 6-pack 24oz PET, single 1L PET, single 14oz PET, & single 20oz PET. I have seen 16oz PET in some areas around us served by WIS-PAK.

Yocod
07-21-2004, 01:33 AM
I've never been into the whole 1 or 2 liter soft drink idea. I enjoy the taste of a canned drink better, but anyways. I would not be suprised if Coke did start distributing the 1.5 liter and kept it at a price close to the 2 liter. If you read Consumer Reports, the last page sometimes has new products that have come out that are smaller in size, but with the same price as the product it replaced.

karks88
07-21-2004, 05:26 PM
This type of thing seems to happen a lot at the grocery store. You see smaller sized packaging for the same price as the old, larger package.

I think it's an awful trend. I understand these companies want more money but I think there are better ways to go about it. Why can't CCE just keep their 2 liter bottles and raise the price a dime?

SplitLevelP
07-22-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by bigrich:
In Indianapolis Pepsi Americas has started stocking 1.5L in supermarkets along with 2L. we also have 6-pack 12oz PET, 6-pack 500ml PET, 6-pack 24oz PET, single 1L PET, single 14oz PET, & single 20oz PET. I have seen 16oz PET in some areas around us served by WIS-PAK. I must say bigrich i am suprised to hear that about pepsi.When coke is questioned about packaging they do the politically correct thing and say they know nothing and direct you like sheep to the bottler who unless you are a contracted buying store just wants you off there phone 9 out of 10 times.Pepsi however broke themselfs to say "we are not going to follow suit" when asked if 1.5 liters are going to be put out in responce to coke running them in NYC metro and tri state area.Is the pepsi americas that handles the area you are in privatly owned or is it set up the way coke has cce and uniform with most of the bottlers around the state you live in?

DPDude
07-22-2004, 02:21 AM
In south Texas Coke has been selling 1.5L Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and Dr Pepper since last year. In grocery stores here Coke pretty much only sells 1.5L and 3L bottles. Some convenience store chains and places like Target still get 2 liters on "special buys" but 2L bottles are getting hard to find.

fusion
07-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Pepsi Americas is a publicly traded company. They trade under PAS on the NYSE.

They operate in parts of 17 states in the us, plus Jamaica/Bahamas/Puerto Rico/Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean, and Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, and Hungary in Europe.

They are the #2 Pepsi bottler behind PBG.

RunWithDaLilGuy
07-29-2004, 06:50 PM
saw no one point fives in las vegas, southern utah, northern arizona or colorado.