PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Packaging ?

mikemizz
03-23-2004, 03:44 PM
What is your favorite beverage packaging and why?

What would you like to see ?

just curious...

XLS_04
03-23-2004, 10:05 PM
do you mean package size? or graphics?

sodasommelier
03-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Glass bottles with pry-off crown caps. They look good and the sodas in them taste great. Also the crown cap protects the area where you drink from so that it cannot be tainted with bacteria or soil from the outside.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-26-2004, 01:56 AM
DANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

boodoo
03-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Back from the dead...the great SS has risen!

My favorite beverage package was the "real thing" in 6.5oz returnable bottles! In today's world I will go for spring water in 1.0L glass.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-26-2004, 10:52 AM
i like anything in glass, i'm real huge on these izze things, it looks so good.

and if i needed to move a ton of hfcs cans of stuff, fridge packs. it's quadrupled damaged product returns but it really sells well.

Goldmember
03-28-2004, 02:23 PM
How about these packages:

1) 16 oz Snapple glass
2) 11 oz Clearly Canadian
3) 20 oz Arizona Tea
4) 8.3 oz 250 ml Red Bull

Think of the effects these packages had on the industry during the respective time of roll-out.

Back in 1994 I worked for a beer distributor that sold Arizona Tea in cans. At the time we were having mild success selling their tea in 24 oz and 16oz cans. I remember the first shipment of their "Barbeque style" 20 oz glass that came through our warehouse.

Holy ****, I can honestly tell you that having worked in this industry for 10 years since that summer, I have seen only one new product that had the ability to generate as much excitement as the 20 oz Arizona glass did when it came out.

First of all it broke all the rules.

A) It was 20 oz istead of 16 oz
B) It was a weird shape that no-one had ever seen (everyone was used to 16 oz Snapple style)
C) Drinks were not supposed to cost more than a buck for a single serve (The 20 oz typically retailed at $1.19).

This stuff had to be one of the easiest sells of all time. People were clearing shelf space out to make room for this stuff. Chains couldnt get the **** authorized fast enough. Retailers, distributors, sales reps, drivers merchandisers etc. all made a ton of money off the stuff...

The other package that I referred to that was able to generate as much if not more excitement than the Arizona glass? 8.3 oz 250 ml Red Bull.

Love it or hate it, the bottom line is that the Bull is a Haleys Comet type of brand: ie. The type of brand that comes around only once every century.

Like the AZ glass the Bull broke similar rules:

A) It was 8.3 oz not 20 oz
B) It was a weird shape that no-one had ever seen
C) It helped raise the price of single serve to the $2.00 threshold.

And like the AZ glass the Bull also had groundbreking effects at the retail, distributor and Industry-wide sectors of the market.

This is why my vote for the best packages is a tie between AZ 20 oz glass & 8.3 oz RB cans.

Energydude
03-28-2004, 02:32 PM
8.3 oz. can a stroke of genius? It's in a small can because they knew no one could stomach much more! Guys look like little girls walking around with the little can. The little cans are going to be looked at with the same fondness as leg warmers in a few years. It was cool in the 90's but it is 2004!!! In my opinion everything taste better in glass!!! I like the AZ bottle and I like the old tall Nehi Bottle.

sodasommelier
03-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Yeah boodoo is right about the 6.5oz returnable bottles... MMMMM!

Well the 250ml can is probably just a coincidence. I'm going to assume that when the Austrian guy got back from his 6-week paid vacation to Southeast Asia and started working on the project, probably that was the size that was being produced of some sort of other stuff like SPA or whatever else, in his locale. So if the plant had been doing 12oz cans or little glass bottles he'd probably have done that instead. And actually I have a little brown returnable bottle of Red Bull but I've never opened it. I'll bet it's better than the cans...