PDA

View Full Version : GATORADE- 80% marketshare ????

mikemizz
03-24-2004, 12:45 PM
I understand the power of srtong brands.

But an 80% marketshare of sports beverage is
absurd. $2 Billion a year?
Even Coca Cola can't compete with Powerade. A "measly" 10% marketshare.

Yes, they were first to market. Yes, they may even be synonomus with sports beverages.

But no company deserves that much share of the market.
They must be dethroned !! hahaha..

Someone please, please explain to me why this is the case. And how nobody else can come close.

Mike

Energydude
03-24-2004, 06:43 PM
There is no money in it who cares!

Startup Dude
03-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Edude, can you expand on your comment?

Ron Swedelson
03-25-2004, 12:32 AM
my friend sells gatoraid for a grocery distribution house. He makes plenty of money off it, and so do the stores. Most distributors can not buy enough to get a savings, and it is hard for them to make money. If you are a grocery dist, you can buy enough to get a discount. They even sell it $1.25 under what the cash and carry does.

Energydude
03-25-2004, 12:35 AM
Gatorades case cost is very low. Even distributors do not make much per case.
Why try and compete there is no money in it.

SamC
03-28-2004, 09:39 PM
If Gatorade is down to an 80% market share, then KO is winning. At the time of the failed buy-out by KO and the subsequent successful one by PEP, Gatorade was reported as having a 94% market share, the rest going to KO's Powerade and the then Pepsi All-Sport vileness.

Losing Gatorade was the luckiest break KO has had in a long time. Just as the "low carb" diet fad (which is totally unhealthy and dangerous, BTW) hit, KO loses out on the carb-filled sports beverage. If they have cut Gatorade to 80% then that is tremendous.

Ron Swedelson
03-29-2004, 02:28 PM
The company I worked for before used to sell Power Bars drink, PowerAid I believe it was called. Granted they did go out of busines, but it sold well and made alright money. But Edude is right, not the market to go after if looking to get rich.

Startup Dude
03-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Ron, isn't Powerade owned by Coke? When you say power bar drink, do you mean an isotonic beverage or are you referring to something different?

fusion
03-29-2004, 07:12 PM
According to what I have read, Powerade is at about 14% market share. Back in the mid-90's, they were at 9%, All Sport was 9%, and Gatorade had 75%. 4-5 years ago, it was 83% Gatorade, 11% Powerade.

It's tough to find concrete numbers, because most of the data is in expensive research reports, or is skewed because they include energy drinks.

mikemizz
03-29-2004, 07:43 PM
STILL... NO company should own more than 50% of their category.
It's just wrong.
The consumer needs other options.
There is room for another brand.

Ron Swedelson
03-29-2004, 10:16 PM
It was PowerBar, I think saying Poweraid was just a slip. PowerBar had their own "gatoraid" type product. Sorry bout that

fusion
03-30-2004, 04:00 PM
It's not wrong. When a company is the first to bring a product to market, they have 100% of the share. As time goes by, others will bring out their own me-too products to compete with it. Some succeed, some fail.

SURGE
05-11-2004, 05:25 PM
I think Coke has done a pretty good job with Powerade lately and I think those numbers show it. I even find that in veding situations Powerade comands around 40% of the sales. i think its the variety of sizes and flavors in supermarkets that is keeping them down.

fusion
06-01-2004, 09:13 PM
I think Coke is starting to realize that, and release more new flavors.

The Black Cherry Lime (old Matrix flavor) is now in standard Powerade packaging, and they also released a Strawberry Melon flavor, which I think is pretty darn good. A mango flavor should also be out soon -- I haven't seen that one yet.

There is also going to be a citrus flavored flavor for the Olympics, in the courtney bottle.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-03-2004, 07:09 PM
i miss lemon ice gatorade, as well as citrus cooler