PDA

View Full Version : is low/no carb on its way out?

toby1
04-04-2004, 11:25 PM
I was down south this past week and the overwhelming concensus was if people want to loose weight...then dont drink!

With all the low carb beers, malternatives, energy drinks, etc. it seems kinda oxymoronish..doesnt it? I mean Ive never seen a fat drunkin redneck sittin at a bar with his gut over his belt pondering bud light or miller lite!
Or him with his weight watchers pad counting off his carbs and points!

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on this lenght of this "fad"?

Robot
04-05-2004, 02:46 AM
I dunno if its a fad or not, but i see it growing and fast.

I dont think that fat slob at the bar is going to get a beer with lower carbs, i think its people like me that are already skinny and want to keep it that way. I have 5.6% body fat, and I want to get it below 5%, and all these new choices for low carb or no carb products is great!

I think its going to pick up steam with people who were already watching their carbs, and also beacuse of the wealth of products available, push more people into the fold.

toby1
04-05-2004, 06:07 PM
but Jimmy...if someone wants to loose weight or keep it off...doesnt it make sense to NOT drink?

amazing...this from a beer salesman.LOL

Robot
04-05-2004, 06:26 PM
well, yes, if someone wants to lose weight and keep it off, they shouldnt necessarily be drinking.

but does that mean they wont want to indulge a little sometimes? no.

like i said, i am 5.X% body fat, and I still like to drink soda and eat other "bad things", but if i could indulge and be doing it with less calories, the better!

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-05-2004, 11:31 PM
i don't see it dying off until people start keeling over from heart attacks.

i think it will be along for a while...

milwaukee's best light is also considered "low carb" and theres a new campaign out for htat.

Shatter
04-06-2004, 02:28 AM
At the store I work for, we're always getting in new 'low carb' products by the palletload. It looks like every company on Earth is jumping on the bandwagon. The market isn't near saturation point yet.

Energydude
04-08-2004, 12:39 PM
I have watched my carbs for the last 11 years and I eat what I want on Sundays! A glass of wine with dinner every other day! Moderation is the key and eat dinner on a small plate. Portions in this country are unreal! The low carb wave is just getting started!

toby1
04-08-2004, 07:30 PM
anyone try the Coors "ASPEN EDGE"? its not bad. Im just wondering how long this craze will last.

To agree with edude, Moderation is key!! Thats with anything.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-09-2004, 02:08 PM
we have aspen edge here and we aren't doing as well with it as we thought we would, but we also have miller lite. i think coors is, as usual, behind the crowd on this one.

SamC
04-09-2004, 08:41 PM
The low carb craze will last until a new beautiful person comes out with some other worthless diet scheme and sells it on Oprah, Today, Regis, etc.

The diet industry is a memorial to people's willingness to believe that there is a magic bullet out there other than simply eating less and working more.

bwallach
04-27-2004, 02:50 PM
I think this low carb thing is just that a fad. it will fatline in a while. can't say when but Its another fad diet. toby inr egards to your beer coment I think its just the beer co jumping ona bandwagon. I mean all of suddon all light beers are low carb or mearly pointing it out tog et people to drink them.

BAH ! I say... give me a carbs a plenty beer..

Energydude
04-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Low Carb thing just a fad??? I don't think so and the reason is it works. As long as you don't take it to extremes it is very effective and has helped me maintain my weight over the last 20 years. Eating and drinking sugar with no or little exercise is the recipe for obesity. Which in the next few years will pass heart disease as the NO. 1 killer in the USA.

toby1
04-27-2004, 06:54 PM
and a bottle of SUM POOSIE has how many carbs Drayton?

Your absentism was a breath of fresh air. Now your back with more hypocretical comments!

My God man....are you bi-polar?

Energydude
04-27-2004, 07:29 PM
The name is Dustin... Drayton is the owner of SumPoosie. SumPoosie is made with REAL CANE SUGAR and not HFCS !!! Yes there are carbs but like I said it is best that you don't take it to extremes. There is nothing wrong with having SumPoosie from time to time..... ask anyone! ;)

bwallach
04-28-2004, 02:48 AM
Low Carb thing just a fad??? I don't think so and the reason is it works. As long as you don't take it to extremes it is very effective and has helped me maintain my weight over the last 20 years. Eating and drinking sugar with no or little exercise is the recipe for obesity. Which in the next few years will pass heart disease as the NO. 1 killer in the USA. I agree with you but its just another fad diet. it will fade like all other diets. Eating heathy and exercise works just right. Everything I agree with you acept that the a diet will be around.

Energydude
04-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Bwallach you need to understand that Atkins is not a diet as much as it is a way of life. I do not and many others do not follow it completely but cutting down on bread and pasta is a simple way to keep off unwanted pounds. Diet in itself means temporary and will often fail. A low carb lifestyle like mine has proven very effective.

bwallach
04-28-2004, 11:57 AM
I think your right when you say people in the us eat in excess. there portions are huge. You don't need to cut out carbs to loose weight. Just down size the portions you eat every day . you don't need some fad diet what ever it is to loose weight.

Energydude
04-28-2004, 03:32 PM
Bwallach I agree with the fad diet thing and the portion sizes and the fact that children today are simply less active than we were as children.

What I don't agree with Atkins and low Carbs is a FAD.... I have been doing it for 20 years.... is there such thing as a 20 year fad?

toby1
04-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Energydude:
Bwallach I agree with the fad diet thing and the portion sizes and the fact that children today are simply less active than we were as children.

What I don't agree with Atkins and low Carbs is a FAD.... I have been doing it for 20 years.... is there such thing as a 20 year fad? ok ok ok Dustin.....this last quote from you has to take the cake. You said that RB is a "fad"....however they have been around going on 20 years.

So to answer your question, AND! agree with you on your "FAD" belief........
RB is NOT a "FAD" , neither is the low carb diet!

Man oh man...I just love it when edude proves himself wrong. (his qoute "RB is a fad")

LOL!!! :D

Ron
04-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Low carb? Drink diet sodas.

Energydude
04-30-2004, 05:12 PM
Make sure you drink Diet Sodas made with Splenda and not the other less effective Sweetners!!!
If it ain't made with Splenda the product could be made better!!! :D

Startup Dude
04-30-2004, 06:00 PM
I say Atkins is a fad. Encouraging people to eat bacon instead of drinking a glass of orange juice, give me a break! Saturated fad instead of vitamins and fibers? Ask Dr. Atkins how it helped him out.

However, Low Carb diets: not a fad. When I say low carb, I mean low 'bad' carbs, i.e. sugar. The only way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you spend; it's that easy! Sugar only provides empty calories. Moderation is key.

And for once, I must agree with energydude, low carb is not a diet but a way of eating.

Startup Dude
04-30-2004, 06:05 PM
And as for low carb in the beverage industry, I say use a decent sweetner. What's the point of drinking something low cal that doesn't taste good? May as well drink water.

toby1
04-30-2004, 07:39 PM
my point exactly, start!!!

A low carb/ Light beer is like drinking water .....or even an NA beer.

So to edude point, moderation ... and starts point .... real beer!

Why binge on Bud Light/Coors light / Miller Light when there are so many brands of great beer out there!!

Energydude
04-30-2004, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately, most people drink beer for the buzz and could care less about taste. If people cared about taste who would by Old Milwaukee or Shclitz Beer??? For many years I have watched people down beer after beer for no other reason than to get smashed and then drive a 4000 pound car. My best friend lost both his daughter to a man that had "ONLY" 8 beers! He hit them head on and suffered only minor injuries.... the girls both died on the operating table. Low carb beer, high carb beer..... it really doesn't matter unless you drink with responsibility. :(

bwallach
04-30-2004, 10:17 PM
now theres something I can agree with. AMEN to that edude. smile.gif

toby1
05-01-2004, 09:55 AM
that was my point edude, why gorge yourself with watered down beer that tastes like a NA, when there are so many great tasting micros out there!

I am not saying binge drinking is right, in fact binging on any thing is bad, hince the subject of this thread, do people want better beer insteed of low carb beers?? I think so! maybe not in jan when the resoltions are in full!

My condolences on your friends loss, however that has ZERO to do with this thread. Lets stay on track with the subject and If you want to branch off on a different one strat another thread.

Thanks

Ron Swedelson
05-01-2004, 01:38 PM
I personaly enjoy a good tasting beer, be it light or scothish ale. But if I just put in a good day at the gym, or busted my butt doing something else, I am less likely to grab a full calorie beer and more likely to grab an Amstel light. But Bud, Coors, and Miller light do taste like skunk water with a little beer flavoring. But I think that is why sales of beer like Amstel, and Michelobe Unlta and other beers which actually have decent flavor to them, but low on the carb and calorie side, are on the rise.

Energydude
05-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Figures you would find a way to be a jerk Toby!

Yes Micro's are often better and I have had Beer in 31 different countries. The problem is many people could care less what it taste like they simply want to drink themselves drunk! Low carb beer gives people an excuse to drink more and actually think they are doing something better for themselves.

Ron Swedelson
05-01-2004, 07:13 PM
I would agree with Beer being an aquired taste, and that different styles will not be accepted by all beer drinkers. But I will not agree with that people will just drink whatever, and low carb gives them a better reason to drink more. If they dont like the taste, why would they drink more? Sure, when you are in High School, you dont care what you drink, because you just want to get drunk. But there are way to many people who are brand loyal, and enjoy the taste of their beer to say that they dont care how it tastes, and most dont even like the taste. But then again, that is the typical customer at a dive bar, so maybe you just need to find a new place to hang out, or pour from a gun.

Energydude
05-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I knew you couldn't resist the chance to be an idiot! Most beer drinkers have not tried more than a dozen different beers. Hundreds are available!!! If they were looking for great taste and high quality wouldn't you try 50 to 100 different ones and then choose 3 or 4 to drink?

Most people just walk in and say, "Bud Light"
Is that the best beer??? Bud sells the most does that make it the best??? Hardly.

toby1
05-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Figures you would find a way to be a jerk Toby!

Yes Micro's are often better and I have had Beer in 31 different countries. The problem is many people could care less what it taste like they simply want to drink themselves drunk! Low carb beer gives people an excuse to drink more and actually think they are doing something better for themselves. HOW IN THE HELL AM I BEING A JERK?
because I told you to take your tangent comments to another thread?
Low carb beers do not give people a reason to drink themselves drunk! and its not something better, its the lesser of two evils!
If people wanted to get loaded, wouldnt they drink less of a higher % of alcohol! in turn spend less money?

so to stay on the subject line ... I believe since its not "DIET" season, people will tend not to concentrate on the low/no carb thing!

Energydude
05-02-2004, 03:29 PM
I am totally on subject... you are just AFM!
Low Carb beer? Why not... are we any safer if the person drinks 5 low carb beers then drives a 4000 pound car home. Has he consumed less Alcohol? Low carb beer is the same a fat free candy! Yeah, its fat free.... but its all SUGAR!!!!

toby1
05-03-2004, 08:37 AM
AFM?????
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
edude....this is about lowcarb not DUI!

Ron Swedelson
05-03-2004, 12:04 PM
This thread has to do with the trend being in or out, or why people would take the low carb while trying to shed some lbs. Not about DUI's and consumption amounts because people can drink more to get hammered...Since yesterday...I have noticed every one of your posts, you have put AFM....find a new catch word. But then again, you seem to like to call customers stupid...so I guess it is right in your alley.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-03-2004, 05:10 PM
you can't drink more to get hammered, if they alcohol is still there, you're still going to get drunk.

edude gets more and more stupid everyday.

glassbottlesrule
05-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Being incapable of an original thought Edude borrowed somebody else's cute abbreviation. Just like my five year old parroted "awesome" every thirty seconds after he seen it on TV. My kids arguments make about as much sense as E-dud's too.

[ 05-03-2004, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: glassbottlesrule ]

Energydude
05-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Glassbottle your AFM too!!!

toby1
05-03-2004, 11:15 PM
did edude get the "AFM" from his lil teenie bopper chat room?

Still dont know what it means....inlightin me Dustin!

Energydude
05-03-2004, 11:33 PM
http://www.zipperfish.com/free/yafm6.html

I hope this helps! ;)

toby1
05-04-2004, 12:09 AM
ty and yes it helps....still not sure why you called all of us that?

but oh well

Energydude
05-04-2004, 02:16 AM
Just an observation!

toby1
05-04-2004, 09:30 AM
observation

n 1: the act of making and recording a measurement 2: a patient look [syn: observance, watching] 3: a remark expressing careful consideration [syn: reflection, reflexion] 4: facts learned by observing; "he reported his observations to the mayor" 5: the act of noticing or paying attention; "he escaped the notice of the police" [syn: notice, observance] 6: explicit notice; "it passed without remark" [syn: remark]

I dont believe you had any "consideration" not to mention "careful consideration" when you called a few of us ....
A F--KING MORON.

so with deep thought and timeless review of many of your "posts" edude, I have came to the conclusion that an old saying is perfect for this moment ....
"THE POT CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK"

Ron Swedelson
05-04-2004, 12:26 PM
that clip, much like a bottle of Sum Poosie...I just could not get through it all.

glassbottlesrule
05-04-2004, 05:33 PM
I am not going to stoop to your level e-dude and take the bait and slang s--t with you. I love how if somebody does not agree with you it's time for the insults. I cannot see how u could be as successful as you claim to be in these boards. Your need to have everyone agree with you and your attacks on whoever doesn't is childish and not the charactistic of a good businessman.

glassbottlesrule
05-04-2004, 05:37 PM
As a sidenote E-dude. You can hire yesmen real cheap, why do you troll for the on this board?

Energydude
05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Everyone AGREE with me!!!! People that sometimes agree with me often apologize for doing so!!!

If the arguments were better that would be one thing but some of the rebuttals are crazy at best!

And God forbid should you say anything off color about RB !!! I have never seen such a poor product defended so strongly for no reason!!!

People admit it doesn't look good, taste good, or smell good but damn it..... it's great because it was first!!!

Folks the Model T was the first of the line but we have moved on and make better products now.

Move on folks there are better things out there.

By the way I just went to a bar that serves a Hawian Lei........ fill glass with SumPoosie drop in a shot of Malibu Rum!

toby1
05-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Everyone AGREE with me!!!! People that sometimes agree with me often apologize for doing so!!!

If the arguments were better that would be one thing but some of the rebuttals are crazy at best!

And God forbid should you say anything off color about RB !!! I have never seen such a poor product defended so strongly for no reason!!!

People admit it doesn't look good, taste good, or smell good but damn it..... it's great because it was first!!!

Folks the Model T was the first of the line but we have moved on and make better products now.

Move on folks there are better things out there.

By the way I just went to a bar that serves a Hawian Lei........ fill glass with SumPoosie drop in a shot of Malibu Rum! """""is low/no carb on its way out?"""""
nothing on your post edude had anything to do with the subject!

Do you have AADD?

Ron Swedelson
05-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Edude, RB, just like anyother beverage will be defended by most on this board if wrongful claims or wrong thoughts are brought up about a product.
Taste and mixability is a matter of opinion. But when you say a certain company is just plain terrible, and people only drink their beverage because they dont know anybetter, even when there are 100's of other subsitutes, and everyone has gone after their audience and failed...well, you just cant forget about that kind of success. Besides since many have probably either worked for RB, a distributor that sold it, or that fact that many people, including YOU, who sell an energy drink or who have sold one, has to thank RB for opening that market, keeping that price point, and doing it so succesfuly. Keep all that in mind, but when you try to pass all that off, then say your new drink that has ZERO credibility yet is 10 times better and kicks RB's butt everywere you go...dude, you will definatly get flack from everyone for that.

Energydude
05-05-2004, 10:27 AM
Ron please break down the PRODUCT for me. Tell me about the actual product.

True or not true.... It looks like Urine!
True or not true.... It smells bad!
True or not true.... To most it taste like medicine!
True or not true.... It is foreign made!

FFSake!!! Ron !!!! People drank a lot the last few years because it was cool....not because of its look taste or anything else!!!

Toby...... Is the Carb thing on its way out???
Toby your AFM!!! The whole Carb thing is just getting started... STUPID QUESTION!

Ron Swedelson
05-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Does it look like urine, no, not to me.
Does it smell bad, no, not to me.
Does it taste like medicine. A little medicinal, mixed with some cherry flavoring.
Is it forign made. Yeah, so what.

I dont think 12-15 million cases are sold yearly in the US just because it is cool. A lot of people actually like it. My own brother drinks RB, but he tries to do it secretly. Not because he doesnt want other people to see him, because he knows when I find out I start shoving him around and ask him what is wrong with him. He always just says "What, it tastes good."
Many people drink it because they do like it. You think SP is the best tasting drink, I definatly do not agree. So am I wrong, or is tastes a matter of opinion. You think RB is the worst tasting drink ever, but millions disagree.
When people introduce energy drinks, RB is the one that sets the standards.
Companies price it accordingly to RB, or they compare why they are cheaper or more expensice than RB. They compare their taste, lack of, or more that RB. Sales to RB, marketing to RB. RB is that catagory leader. Do I drink RB Edude? No. I have had about 5 cans of RB in the last 8 years. But I understand what the company has done for all of us. Even you Edude, no way would you be selling SP or TP BIB if not for RB. And most people who truly know, its not that RB was first, its that they did it right. They worked the markets right and didnt saturate every store. They sampled non stop and did a lot of customer education, and they continue the trend today. Thats what makes them a quality company. They set the standard, and if someone cant understand that much of it, then to quote Edude in a very sad attempt for him to still sound "Young and Cool", you are "AFM"

Energydude
05-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Well if nothing else Ron your trainable!!!!
LOL !!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Ron Swedelson
05-05-2004, 02:17 PM
better to be trainable than to have shutters over your eyes. So thank you.

bwallach
05-05-2004, 04:11 PM
its funny you guys rip edude for going off topic yet you seem to keep the off topic coments rolling.

the personal attacks are getting old and I'm talken to both sides here.

toby1
05-05-2004, 04:32 PM
thanks for your 2 cents BWall!

and Im a FU--ING MORON for asking a simple question upon what Ive seen and heard in my market!
Funny how edude will ATTACK people on this board however I guarantee you put him in front of any person from this board he sure as hell wouldnt insult them to their face!

Your a very SMALL man Dustin .... very samll. If this is the way you are in real life stuations and if this is how you conduct your business I truly have pity for you.

I feel sorry for people like yourself. Its sad, really sad.

Tahts-a-dats-ago
05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
I think the no carb diet is on it's way out. It's a fad, and like all fads the shelf-life is relatively short. Once people discover the downsides to such fads, they move on the the next fad.

Some would argue that the volume of new products in this category is increasing on a massive scale. I'd agree - though I'd suggest that this isn't in response to a long-term phase in product alternatives. Instead, I'd suggest that companies are merely attempting to get their slice of the pie with products that have a higher margin of profit.

Ron Swedelson
05-05-2004, 05:10 PM
I dont believe it is on its way out, but I do believe it is nearing its peak...the question there is, how long will it stay on the peak before it starts to drop. The low carb thing is very strong, and many are following it, especially here in CA.

Tahts-a-dats-ago
05-05-2004, 05:15 PM
CA usually sets the trends, so the no-carb fad may be catching it's second wind.

Here (NJ) it seems to be showing signs of slowing down.

I still think the hottest fad will be something else in a year or two.

Startup Dude
05-05-2004, 05:33 PM
Tahts - A no carb diet can't be good. We all need carbs to function. If you mean high protein diet, then I must agree, its a fad because such diets are extremely unhealthy.

I feel the only real healthy alternative to loosing weight is to comsume less empty calories and to exercise. This means cutting down on sugar and eating nutrient rich foods, such as vegetables, etc. And also, you must burn more calories than you consume.

I'm a true believer of the Harvard Healthy Eating Pyramid (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/pyramids.html). This link is a good read, it talks about the new pyramid developed by Harvard nutrition experts and show the failure of the USDA pyramid.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/images/color_pyramid2.gif

Tahts-a-dats-ago
05-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Startup:

Your thoughts are (without doubt) dead-on. Mankind came to it's modern status by eating a menu of foods that mirrors the suggestions you offered. Our bodies were designed to operate on a system of nourishment that included frequent meals of vegetables, fruits, water and nuts. Other sources were less available (meats, etc..) - so while important, they aren't optimal sources of sustenance for the human population.

The key is having an active life - usually supplemented with an exercise program in today's world - and a moderate diet consisting of a variety of healthy foods.

I think our tendency toward a (basically) sedentary lifestyle is far more harmful than the foods we tend to consume. Couple the two tendencies together and we have a recipe for disaster.

Coco Rico
05-07-2004, 11:35 AM
Tahts:

I agree. Is the low-carb trend a fad? I think in some ways yes, and some ways no. Much like the Low-Fat craze that swept the country a few years back, I think it will eventually die down from mass acceptance once something else comes around. However, it will always still have its niche.

I think the main issue is the lack of moderation. The pendulum keeps swinging from one extreme to the another, and Americans seem more interested in a "magic bullet" approach rather than an honest examination of our lifestyles. Carbs, and fats, and protein are all essential to healthy diets, however, everything in moderation.

Our biggest issue is our super-size mentality, moderation goes out the window if it means we'll get more bang for the buck. That's why you can walk into a Macaroni Grill and they'l give you a trough of Lasagna - enough for 3 or 4 meals. That's why you'll eat a Big Mac, Fries and a Coke (containing almost an entire day's caloric value) because it's cheap.

Someone mentioned this before, but our enormous portions and lack of activity are what is killing us. It's not Carbs, or Fats, its laziness and gluttony that are our downfall.

Lower caloric intake, and increase calories burned through activity and obesity is no longer a problem. Eating a whole box of Snackwells isn't going to cut it. Put down the box, drink some water, and go for a walk everyday. That will do more than anything else short-term.

CR