PDA

View Full Version : Do I have Kosher Coke?

Scooty
04-11-2004, 03:30 AM
Hello soda fans. Welcome me! I'm a big Coke fan out here in L.A. who stumbled across your board today. Having just finished a great book about Coke (For God, Country and Coca-Cola,) it was quite timely.

Maybe someone can be gracious and help me with a question...

I just heard about Kosher for Passover Coke for the first time today. Needless to say I was quite excited. Sure, you can buy Mexican bottles very easily here in Los Angeles, but the bottles are really beat up and dirty, one wonders about the cleanliness of the plants, and they sweeten up their Cokes down there. So to have American can sugar Coke would be a wonderful nostalgic treat.

Googling around, I learned all about looking for codes, Hebrew signs, yellow caps, what have you. (That is also how I found this board.) Then I ventured out to the local grocery stores, but found nothing. (If you live here, I checked the Ralphs at Pico and Beverwil, Pavilions at Olympic and Beverwil, and Miracle Mile Ralphs.) Maybe I was too late.

But then....I was at a Sav-On on Fairfax (very Jewish neighborhood,) and saw some 20oz. hobbleskirt style plastic bottles with yellow caps. I bought a few, but now that I look at them, I don't seem to see any code, symbol, or indication that it is different. The taste was certainly different - none of the aftertaste. But maybe that is all in my mind.

So, any tips for how I can tell? And, anyone know where you can buy some cans or even GLASS Kosher Coke in L.A.?

Any advice is deeply appreciated.

PS - I did notice that there were only a few yellow cap Dr Pepper 20oz bottles, and the rest were white. Since I can buy the Dublin Dr Pepper pretty easily at Galco's Soda Shop, I didn't grab it, but I relate that info just in case it helps someone figure out if my Coke is the "real thing."

Terry K
04-11-2004, 05:02 AM
The coke bottles that are Kosher in Los angeles area are 2 liter bottles, with a U in a circle on them. that's all the cap has on them.

Scooty
04-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Thanks so much for responding.

A "U"... This is all so mysterious and clandestine.

Know anywhere that might have them in stock?

Also, a few locals have mentioned yellow caps some more. Any accuracy to that at all?

fusion
04-12-2004, 02:26 AM
Yellow capped 20oz bottles are for the recent Coke/ESPN promotion. They aren't kosher.

Kosher Coke is produced in 2 liters.

Terry K
04-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Scooty:
Thanks so much for responding.

A "U"... This is all so mysterious and clandestine.

Know anywhere that might have them in stock?

Also, a few locals have mentioned yellow caps some more. Any accuracy to that at all? Found them at Albertsons and Rite Aid. (I know a few Ralphs had them as well)

The only form Kosher Coke was sold in the LA area was in 2 liter.

You may also want to drive over to the Fairfax/Beverly area (the Ralphs down the street from TV City may well have more in stock, since that's a pretty big Jewish area)