PDA

View Full Version : Coke Slim Cans in the US?

Cokeologist
12-23-2002, 01:48 PM
Does anyone have any information about the Coke Classic slim cans shown at these ebay auctions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13915&item=746988188

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13915&item=746989625

SURGE
12-23-2002, 11:57 PM
Very interesting but are you sure are acutally Coke? They don't seem to have any identifying marks. If they are genuine then this is quite interesting indeed. I can just see coke moving to 8.3oz and charging us the same as 12oz. That better not happen.

fusion
12-24-2002, 02:50 AM
They do look like Coke cans to me, based on the color of the cans, the writing, and the shrink wrap around the cans. Looks just like KMX.

Shatter
12-24-2002, 04:16 AM
But the 'Coke' name isn't on the cans anywhere. It could just be some generic soda or possibly some kind of counterfeit. Don't regular sodas in parts of Asia come in those slim cans? All in all it's not worth buying, because it's obviously not a real Coke product. Could be that someone tried to make a knock-off energy drink and got a cease-and-desist order from Coke, so eBay is their only outlet to sell off some stock. People will buy just about any kind of worthless crap off eBay.

[ 12-24-2002, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

SamC
12-24-2002, 11:38 AM
That is ebay's function. The selling of worthless crap to the dumb.

Cokeologist
12-24-2002, 01:17 PM
The cans do say "Coke Classic" at the bottom; they also have the new Coke Classic bottle outline small logo below the nutrition info panel like on the new issue 12oz cans as well as the Coca-Company copyright info... http://ebay2.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_2ce145b2f59720bfbbeed58a32c0bf31/i-2.JPG

drpep
12-25-2002, 12:27 AM
I have a slim Coke can that someone brought back from Hong Kong. I know these being discussed are not the same as I have.

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-25-2002, 03:40 AM
since when has coke made slim's domestically? i have one from HK as well.

SURGE
12-26-2002, 12:01 AM
Could they be from another English speaking country such as England or some other European country? My main problem with these cans is that fact that I find it hard to belive that Coke would not smear their logo across every corner of that can. They arn't modest. I mean Coke wants you to know if what your drinking is a Coca-Cola they don't usually try and hide their brandname. As far as i'm concerned they could still be fakes much like they sell burned CD's shrinkwrapped in many Asian countries that look identical to the real ones. Even if they are going to come to the US there is no doubt that that they will change the design to show that it is Coke Classic and not some other brand. Very interesting.

fusion
12-26-2002, 12:48 AM
They could just be a bottler/demo only type of thing. I'm curious as to what the code is on the bottom of the cans. Even though there is no specific bottler listed on the can itself, the code should reveal who made it.

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-27-2002, 06:53 PM
well if someone has an ebay account couldn't they contact this guy and see if he could upload some additional pictures, maybe even personally? i know that the auction's over but maybe the buyer could.

drpep
12-28-2002, 12:52 AM
I think it may domestic. If you look at the picture in this thread the size is listed in ounces first with the metric size second. Unless some other countries list ounces first.

XLS_03
01-05-2003, 03:13 PM
These would not replace the 12oz. cans as time goes on beverages sizes usually get bigger, example... 10 years ago Coke and Pepsi products were in 16oz. bottles, then Coke released a 20oz. bottle on there products "it said BIG 20" or sometimes "4oz FREE" all around the top of the bottle. Then about 2 years later Pepsi releases a 20oz. bottle as well, later giving the option for a 24oz. as well.
So I think if anything they would most likely replace the 8oz. cans of course if these are actually going to be released for the consumer.
It would be nice if they started to roll out the 16oz. cans nationally (i mean they have beer cans in tons of sizes) instead they release the 8oz cans and charge more for them!

[ 01-05-2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: XLS_03 ]

bigrich
01-06-2003, 12:47 AM
I really miss the 16OZ Coke Lovers Cans. They should bring them back nationwide.

SURGE
01-06-2003, 03:21 AM
Man I really want 16oz cans. 12 oz is just too small!

Shatter
01-06-2003, 03:46 AM
Maybe those little Coke cans are being made to replace those little cans of Oscar Meyer Cola in those Lunchables packs? They wouldn't need the Coke logo all over the cans if they were inside the cardboard Lunchables boxes.

RunWithDaLilGuy
01-06-2003, 08:43 PM
i think that the slim cans would work well in those racks that hang on the glass. you can just wrap them in plastic so there's no packaging.

in the end, for 50-69 cents, kids would buy em up. make a couple flavors, coke, sprite, then cherry coke, pibb xtra. kid friendly flavors. make multi packs out of several of the fanta flavors so you can put them in kid's lunchboxes

drpep
01-26-2003, 10:42 PM
I saw a mention in todays NY Post that Coke is testing 8.40z cans.

SURGE
01-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Pepperman, did it mention where and who they are aimed at?

drpep
01-27-2003, 09:59 PM
No. I can not even rember what the article was about. It just mentioned Coke and an 8.4 oz can that was about the size of the "popular" Red Bull can.

drpep
01-27-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by SURGE:
Pepperman, did it mention where and who they are aimed at?It is aimed at "trendy people".
Do a Yahoo search for "coke new can"(without the quotes).Find "The New Packaging Coke Doesn't Want You To See". There is an article and picture, plus a picture of Cokes aluminum bottle.

[ 01-27-2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

Hope
02-19-2003, 08:06 PM
The coke slim can is a promotional thing and I don't believe they will be available for sale in stores. Watch for the big truck going across the US handing them out on the streets. I just got one the other day in Seattle Washington.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-14-2003, 03:52 AM
the information i got from one of the people selling them on the web is that they got it from a friend who works for coca-cola bottler in tampa, florida. so that would be where they are making them.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-18-2003, 04:05 AM
049000001150 Coca-Cola Classic, single can (slim size) 8.4 ounces 12 Feb 2003

that's the barcode for the slim size coke can along with the date it was added to some sort of online upccode data base i found.

figured it might be of interested here.

or not.

but at least my post had substance, unlike others we all know of smile.gif

Shatter
04-19-2003, 03:10 AM
On a quick side note, my Kroger started stocking 6-packs of Coke 8 oz. cans. Not the 8.4 slim cans, the goofy looking stubby little cans. They didn't have a price on them yet, so nobody bought any. I'm thinking about buying a 6-pack just for novelty's sake.

sundrop
04-19-2003, 09:58 AM
consolidated has been distributing 8 oz can 8 packs for a few monthes now. we have them in coke, diet coke, sprite, seagrams, dr. pepper, mello yello and sundrop. we did have vanilla coke but thet have already dropped them.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-19-2003, 03:25 PM
all of the meijers stores should now be carrying 8oz cans in coke, diet coke and sprite. they give them a fair amount of display room. i'm not sure how good they do but they make sure to rotate the cans so they always have the new displays. coke has 8oz cans of sundrop? why sundrop AND mello yello?

sundrop
04-19-2003, 06:44 PM
in consolidated areas citrus drinks are really strong. sundrop is very popular in western north carolina and eastern tenn. sundrop and mello yello are carried in every package. 2&3 liter, half liter, 20oz, and frigepacks.
i heard the rumor last week that coke is launching another extension of mello yello called afterglow. orange flavored

Hacksaw
04-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Another round of things going in cycles....

There were 8 oz. cans of Coke around here in the mid 1970's. They looked like cut down 12 oz. cans, not like the current Red Bull, KMX, etc., narrow cans. It was only tried with Coke around here.

Android
04-19-2003, 09:26 PM
those cut down 8 ounce cans are novelty items mostly. I've seen many sodas in them in various regions over the years. I saw some Coke products in them recently either here in Wyoming or in N. Colorado, can't remember which. The slim can Cokes, I've not yet seen

drpep
04-20-2003, 10:31 PM
the 8oz Cokes here have an Easter design. The Sprite and Diet are reg design.

marshall
04-20-2003, 10:41 PM
The 8 oz. can is OK so long as it does not share the same price as the 12 oz. cans.

For me however, I just got back from buying 3, 2-liter bottles of coke for $3.

8oz. cans might be trendy but wasting money never is......

Shatter
04-22-2003, 03:52 AM
I ended up paying $1.89 for the 6-pack. It should have been something like $.99, but I bought it anyway. The strange thing is that they're canned in Nachodoches, TX. They're having them shipped in from another division. I've been told that the head of the Dallas division of Kroger wants them in all our stores, even if they have to ship them in from something like 150-200 miles away.

They also taste different from local Cokes, too. Cleaner, softer water i'd guess.

Fixx
04-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Ok, I have a question....
If the consumer wants more...in other words, the increased sales of 1liter bottles, and the overall "Bigger is Better" attitude from the consumer...

WHY would anyone come out with slim cans and less??

It just makes no sense to me. :confused:

Later

fusion
04-22-2003, 09:16 PM
Kids and older people love those little cans. 8oz is a reasonable amount of soda for them. Older people also like the 10oz resealable glass 6 packs. When I had an independent store on my old route, we had Coke/Sprite/Diet and Seagram's Ale/Tonic/Club all in 10oz. Sold the heck out of them.

teamtitan512
04-23-2003, 08:18 PM
I have seen the 8 pack 8 oz. cans in consolidated territory at Kroger as well, only in Coke and Sprite.

Citrus is heavily pushed in Consolidated territory, and in CCE territory is more of an afterthought. In some areas close to Pittsburgh, Coke doesn't even bother w/them.

drpep
04-23-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Fixx:
Ok, I have a question....

WHY would anyone come out with slim cans and less??

It just makes no sense to me. :confused:
So I won't find the 1/2 empty cans my wife leaves around. She loves it when I bring home Coke's 8oz Nascar bottles.

Fixx
04-24-2003, 06:03 PM
But Fusion...answer this question....

When was the last time you went to a 7-11, Circle K, etc.... and saw an ad for a 12oz soft drink out of a fountain?? You have seen 44OZ Big Gulps, etc...

Also, when was the last time you went to Burger King, Jack in the Box, McDonalds and they did NOT ask you if you want to Supersize, Extra size, etc....

Now then, lets suppose you DO Supersize and pay the 39cents extra...Do they supersize the hamburger you get?? NO!

They supersize the fries and the soda. Why? because the consumer has basically said they want more and will pay a little extra to get more (more beverage, more fries).

Now then do you understand why I am :confused:

Later

drpep
04-24-2003, 10:40 PM
Today a co worker bought 2 8oz 6 packs @$2.19 for his mother even though 12 pack cans are on sale for $2.00. He said his mother wanted the 8s because they were just right for her. Being in the grocery business for 20 years I've learned that the old folks want smaller size packages even though they cost more per pound or ounces than big packs.
Fixx, I think some of these big sizes are forced on the consumer. I know of no one who likes Pepsi's 24 oz bottles yet in some areas thats the only 6 pack plastic you can get. As far as super size,I bet that 39 cents is pure profit for the fast food place. I can't drink that much soda with a meal and the 10 extra fries hardly makes it worth it but 39 cents is a good ring for 2 cents of soda and 5 cents of fries.(how come some keyboards have no key for the cent sign?). My store is the only one in the area that still has plastic garbage bags in sizes of a dozen or less. The other stores have 30-80 count packs. We sell a lot of the small ones while the few big sizes gather dust. We sell more 4 packs of TP than the 12 or 24 count sizes. Another store in town has no 4 packs of TP. The old folks and low income people can not shell out $7 for 24 rolls of toilet paper. I like small size packs, its cheaper at the register. I know in the long run it adds up.

[ 04-24-2003, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

XLS_03
04-25-2003, 01:39 AM
Where I live is one of the places that only sells 6 pack Pepsi products in 24oz. I'd rather have the bigger size over the smaller size. Because the cost of beverages goes up anyways reguardless of its size. I wouldn't be suprised if 1 liter bottles were available in 6 packs one day.

fusion
04-25-2003, 10:10 PM
DpMan, there is a sequence of keys you have to enter to produce a cent sign. Hold down the ALT key, and type 155.

¢

there ya go.

fusion
04-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Coke and Pepsi are both offering two "small bottle" multipacks, though they are going about it in different ways.

Coke offers 6 pack .5 liter all across the country. 6 pack 24 ounce is in very limited areas, though I think the availability should be expanding soon.

Pepsi offers 6 pack 24 ounce pretty much everywhere. They also offer 12 pack .5 liters.. the "fun runners."

I think it's funny when people will pass up an awesome deal like 12 packs for $1.99 or $2.50 to buy a 6 pack that's $3.19 or those 8oz 6 packs for $2.19 Sheesh, buy the 12 pack and throw 6 cans away, you'll still come out way ahead.

Besides, canned HFCS-sweetened soda doesn't "expire" for 9 months.

drpep
04-28-2003, 11:38 AM
¢