PDA

View Full Version : New beverage launch failures

Startup Dude
04-20-2004, 10:42 AM
New beverage launch failure

In the past years, we've seen the big beverage multinationals launch new brands, acquire existing beverage companies and introduce variations of their classic sodas.

What are the best examples of recent product lunch failures? Which one were the most evident from the start and which one should have succeeded, but had market timing? I would like to focus the discussion on the past 5 to 10 years, or else the discussion could go on for ever.

Anyone... Anyone?

XLS_04
04-20-2004, 06:23 PM
95% of all the soda's that were introduced in the 90's no longer exist or are now hard to find.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Pepsi Blue. Crystal Pepsi.

Tab Clear

Miller (red)
Killian's Green.

Coors' Aspen Edge (soon, this stuff sucks here)

now there's also national rollouts that also turn into just regional players, like say, Miller Lite Ice, which miller brews for only two states, Michigan and Wisconsin.

fusion
04-21-2004, 12:40 AM
Red Fusion

Diet Coke with Lime. Even with the reformulations, it still doesn't sell that well. The first formulation was terrible.

Pepsi Blue

Citra

toby1
04-21-2004, 12:44 AM
Bacardis CICLON

Captain Morgans Gold

Jack Daniels HARD COLA

all the ICE beer

Schlitz Red/Blue Bull

"Bud" DRAFT skus i.e. "Busch 'DRAFT'" ...Bud Light DRAFT etc.

TiffyTreat
04-21-2004, 01:49 AM
Two bev failures that come to mind are OK Soda and Josta.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-21-2004, 10:29 AM
schlitz red bull and blue bull are delicious!

Terry K
04-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
Red Fusion

Diet Coke with Lime. Even with the reformulations, it still doesn't sell that well. The first formulation was terrible.

Pepsi Blue

Citra You mean with Lemon, not Lime (Lime is actually decent)

Citra is back, known as Fanta Citrus.

XLS_04
04-21-2004, 06:04 PM
OK Soda was test market in 1994. It was never national.

Coke denies Fanta Citrus is the same formula as Citra, But it is not sold here so I can not decide myself.

Fanta might only be sold in 1-2 flavors in New England by the end of the year because of low sales. There were about 5 flavors here 3 years ago.

There is talk about Pepsi One being discontinued here as well but nothing is 100% certain yet.

NLE Dan
04-21-2004, 06:33 PM
My guys from PepsiAmericas have told me that Pepsi One is being discontinued and Pepsi Edge will be out to take it's place

fusion
04-23-2004, 01:13 AM
I meant Lemon. d'oh.

fusion
04-23-2004, 01:15 AM
But Citra itself was a failure. Coke launched it practically nationwide to complete against a soda that wasn't sold everywhere (Squirt).

Not everyone is a try-er, and sodas like Citra just sit and go out of date. I think that's why Coke has the bottlers put the new brands in the coolers at the checkouts at the grocery stores -- so people will be more apt to grab a cold bottle and try it.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-23-2004, 07:43 PM
how about coke's red flash?

SamC
04-24-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
But Citra itself was a failure. Coke launched it practically nationwide to complete against a soda that wasn't sold everywhere (Squirt).

Citra taught KO, and any other marketer, a valuable lesson.

Citra, called Fresca (unrelated to the US diet drink), is very popular in Mexico. KO thought, "hey, with all of these immigrants, we can cash in".

Didn't work, of course. A great lesson in marketing, if anyone is listening.

fusion
04-25-2004, 12:48 AM
I buy Mexican Fresca at the Hispanic grocery stores here.. great stuff.

fusion
04-25-2004, 12:48 AM
I think they may have learned a similar lesson from Manzana Mia.

Terry K
04-25-2004, 04:15 AM
The problem with marketing soda to hispanics is a simple one: They expect their soda to be made with real sugar.

They get the US version and it tastes horrible to them. Coke's dumbing down of products for the US is biting them in the rear with the hispanic market, for what its worth.

bigrich
04-26-2004, 01:21 AM
Red Flash is still available. I have some I bought in Louisville last weekend. It looks like they are now shipping it in from Texas with code (LW) on the cans.

DPDude
04-26-2004, 03:04 AM
bigrich,
Red Flash is very easy to find in Texas. The Coke bottlers who handle Dr Pepper products just dropped Red Fusion and replaced it with Red Flash, going so far as to put it next to Dr Pepper in the racks in convenience stores. What the bottlers fail to realize is that in Texas people drink Big Red when they want a red cream soda. Coke should have learned their lesson years ago when Cima Red failed to catch on in this market.

Startup Dude
06-03-2004, 06:44 PM
I guess the next launch failure will be C2. I would bet money on it.