PDA

View Full Version : C2.....Success or Flop?

teamtitan512
04-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Today, the newswire has indicated that in response to Pepsi Edge, Coke's doing the mid-cal C2. What does everyone think here? Success or flop?

Personally, I'm leaning toward flop. You have a generation of those who are looking for alternatives in sweeteners, people on low-carb diets, etc. They want as much taste as possible, but without the calories and carbs. I think the solution to this personally would be a Diet Coke w/Splenda instead of aspartame. Of course, that wouldn't be cost effective.

The people on low carb diets will still see C2 and Edge as "evil" for containing wasteful calories and carbs. The soda lovers will take that first sip and sense the artificial sweetener in there, and spit it out.

fusion
04-20-2004, 11:31 PM
You might be suprised. The recent reformulation of Minute Maid Light Lemonade added Splenda to the old mix of Ace-K and Aspartame. You can barely tell it is diet. I would think that going one step further and adding hfcs would eliminate the diet-y taste.

Heck, you can't tell that Swerve is mid-calorie.

SamC
04-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Total flop.

The MBAs of the world, unable to actually inovate or direct anything, are all out trying to glom on to the Adkins diet scam craze. The bread companies replace flour with sawdust, the fast fooders make so-called "burgers" with no bun, Subway (which grew during the last diet craze for low cal) makes salads, and BUD is making a killing with its somewhat beer-flavored mixture of grain alcohol and water called "Michelob Ultra", and so on across the entrie food industry.

The cola companies try to join. No one stopped to think that diet cola is, and always has been, a zero carb product.

In two years, the shelves at Big Lots will be full of the non-perishable residue of this craze. The people who think that you can lose weight some way other than eating less and working more will be on to the next thing. Some new persuasive and good looking snake oil salesmam will have found his way to Oprah, Jane, Phil and so on. Especially since Adkins is already dead (and plenty of web sites will explain just what shape he was in when he died).

In 5 years, this site will have a post about some guy who saw a C2 (or an Edge) at a store in some obscure non CCE (or PCBG) territory in Nebraska.

Half-diet cola and half-regular is a joke. Too much sugar (and thus carbs under the current craze) for dieters, too little for non-dieters.

If it was about aspertame, RC would be kicking their a**es already.

XLS_04
04-21-2004, 05:06 PM
The name could have used some work

Pepsi Edge (sounds outdated)

Coke C2 (sounds like a name of a robot or something) it will make some people think its Coke II new packaging.

Anyways Pepsi Edge will use Splenda, Does anyone know what Coke C2 will use as a sweetner?

unnamed
04-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
Anyways Pepsi Edge will use Splenda, Does anyone know what Coke C2 will use as a sweetner? "All of the above"...HFCS, Splenda, aspartame, and ace-K.

DietCokeEnthusiast
04-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by XLS_04:
it will make some people think its Coke II new packaging.Most people I have talked to have no recollection of Coke II.

XLS_04
04-21-2004, 07:59 PM
anyone that grew up as a teen in the 90s will remember it by name.

NLE Dan
04-21-2004, 09:21 PM
I remember Coke II, thats for sure. It's great, it sure shouldn't have been used in an attempt to replace the original coke recipe, but it is really good

fusion
04-23-2004, 12:01 AM
C2 and Edge really have nothing to do with Atkins or any of those low carb diets. It's more about the general backlash against high-calorie, sugary foods and drinks.

If you want no-carb, drink a diet soda.. or better yet, water.

FitzgeraldHead
04-23-2004, 04:34 PM
Speaking of Edge. I really loved RC Edge!

Tannerman
04-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Coke has released images of the C2 cans and bottles. Here's a look at the can:

http://www.carbwire.com/images/cokec2.jpg

SamC
04-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Not a bad looking can,

BUT totally wrong for the product. Many consumers will just think its the latest revision of the standard Coke can and the "C2" is some movie cross-promotion or something like that.

This is a new type of product. A "semi-diet drink". Somewhere on the can it should say that. Not just Coca-Cola and "C2".

SplitLevelP
05-02-2004, 12:58 AM
C2!! One night i'm hanging out my kids are loud as ever and I kinda hear a news story about coke product called C2 which seems to be the answer to Pepsi edge.I call coke to ask about sweetners to confirm splenda I get put on hold and they come back with it is All three!?! HFCS,Aspertame & Splenda I was all but directly like WTF?!? on the phone all 3 so much for a sweetner that rids that horid medicine with a side of death taste of Aspertame :mad: As far as I know pepsi edge will not play the mixed sweetner game.If anyone can show otherwise please do.The idea that was shared about it being to reg for diet and to diet for reg may hurt the brand I think is what will happen.Exception being some assclown no phun indended who says "Doh I'll drink this it will be like kinda good for me and won't taste like diet. It's better then the nothing I do now DOH." if enough of these type surface maybe a year or two more then the six months I give it.Although coke has enough money to give a dead product C.P.r. for a while look at diet with lemon and New Coke a.k.a. Coke II . The way I figure if Coke is in the name they hit the electric paddles more then the once they would for say a Sprite Ice.

fusion
05-24-2004, 08:49 PM
I saw that C2 is already authorized in Food Lion, 3 weeks ahead of its' release. $1.09 20oz (same price as the rest of our 20oz), but cans are $3.49 for 8 can fridgepacks, and $6.49 for 18pk.

Should be interesting.

teamtitan512
05-24-2004, 11:40 PM
And Charge more for it? Let's face it, ring it up as a bigtime flop. People want no-carb, they don't want half-carb. This is an Atkins way of keeping the downfall of Classic Coke from happening just yet, or making it into the "obese drink".

C2=flop. $3.49 for an 8 pack? People won't pay that...period.

bigrich
05-25-2004, 01:09 AM
Flop - More artifical sweetners? No way! If you are not diabetic and not a fat *** why would you even consider drinking it? Wise up KO bring back Sucrose and raise your prices. Most people will pay for quality. I would gladly by an 8 pack of cans for the same price as a 12 pack if it had real sugar.

Energydude
05-25-2004, 01:52 AM
I have been saying that forever!!!! HFCS ???? Give me Real Cane Sugar I will pay an extra dollar a case for it!!!!

karks88
05-25-2004, 11:40 AM
C2 and Pepsi Edge will flop. The taste reviews I've read say both are very similar to diet drinks. Why is anyone who likes diet going to make a switch to either one of these drinks? It seems like a waste of money to me.

teamtitan512
05-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Especially if it's $3.49 for an 8 pack. 12 packs here retail for $4.59 at Martin's, and like $3.99 at Food Lion, so people are just going to have to continue choosing between regular and diet. They've decided to make a diet-friendly product that seems to be priced like a diet-branded product, which is never good.

I haven't heard the reviews, but if they taste like diet drinks, why get the same taste, yet get some calories when the diet gives you 0? This might be the next Coke II coming for Coke.

karks88
05-26-2004, 01:55 PM
I just read in the AJC that Coke plans to spend $50-$80 million in ads for C2. The ads start tonight. Here's the story:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/coke/0504/25coke.html

XLS_04
05-26-2004, 05:27 PM
the ads for Coke C2 start before it even hits the stores? i wonder if this will make Pepsi Edge debut earlier?

fusion
05-31-2004, 09:00 PM
You can also view the ad online

Coca-Cola C2 Advertising (http://www2.coca-cola.com/presscenter/av_advertising_cocacola_c2.html)

8 packs are now showing up in Food Lion's system at $2.99 -- I assume some sort of temporary price reduction for the initial launch. June 16th is the date I last saw, but I wouldn't be suprised if it hits before then.

fusion
05-31-2004, 09:12 PM
Also, I have tasted it, and it really didn't taste like a diet to me.. but it was really syrupy sweet.

Maybe I should have sold the empty bottle on Ebay? tongue.gif

fixman88
06-02-2004, 01:44 AM
I kept seeing stickers on the doors at the local convenience stores that said "a new product is coming from the Coca-Cola company". I was quite intrigued until I heard what it was on the radio (it was a good thing I was stopped at a light or I might have went off the road). The moment the announcer said "C2- a new low carb soft drink from Coca-Cola!" I instantly thought I had died and gone to Hell (either that or some kind of parallel universe). I felt a little like I had been punched in the stomach. I couldn't believe that Coke would stoop so low as to do such a thing. I can only hope they don't lose serious money on this (but I think they will).

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-03-2004, 06:11 PM
i think it will do well.dd there are a lot of people on this atkins nonsense, or the first stage of the south becah diet.

regardless, when it's time to kill atkins products, cd and pepsi edge will be gone, as well as coors, rolling rock and michelob's low carb beers.

this is a timely product, not meant to be long staying.

golee1
06-04-2004, 02:44 AM
I've tried it also, and agree it doesn't really taste like a diet, byt definately different from a regular cola. Our sales's center is getting it in next week. (20 ounce and 18 pack cans I believem or maybe it's 8-pack cans)

The Doomite
06-04-2004, 03:00 PM
A friend of mine happens to work for Coca-Cola, and the other evening he gave me a can of C2 to try. Having tried it yesterday, I agree that it doesn't really taste like a diet soda. Actually, it tasted kind of "light" to me. That is to say, it didn't really feel very heavy in my mouth, but it still had some of that classic Coca-Cola flavor. I personally don't buy into any of the current diet trends, I basically eat what I want to eat, when I want to eat it (Ahhhh, the joys of youth). But if I had the choice of a Diet Coke or a C2 to drink, I'd pick the C2, simply because it tastes more like regular Coke to me. The Doomite Is Out! :eek:

teamtitan512
06-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Reason I don't think it's going to go over is the people on Atkins want no carb. 20 some grams of carbs is still a cardinal sin to them, meaning low-carb people aren't going to go for Atkins, but will go for the Splenda-sweetened Diet Rite, which is why it's everywhere now.

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-04-2004, 08:20 PM
i guess it'sf or the fatasses (all merch's, you know who i'm talkin about) they're the people that have to use the moving carts to haul their thighs around stores, and they go ape**** when they find out (for the tenth time) that pepsi doesn't make a caffeine free version in the cubes because the cubes are on sale lalala.

it's a starter sodie pop for fat arses

ChrisPC
06-08-2004, 10:05 PM
PepsiCo is calling their low-carb chips "Edge" too; I saw some "Edge" Doritos today. :rolleyes:

ChrisPC
06-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Wal-Mart and Kroger have HUGE C2 displays now, not to mention all the convenience stores pushing it. It's good, tastes a heck of a lot like New Coke(which I liked)!

Do Coke and Pepsi just keep dragging out their old formulas? I remember Pepsi Blue tasted a lot like Crystal Pepsi, too.