PDA

View Full Version : Fanta Citrus is finally here

Shatter
04-21-2004, 03:34 AM
I haven't seen Fanta Citrus in 20 oz. bottles yet, but it's in 2-liter bottles and 12-packs at my Kroger. I see a problem, though. The drink looks terrible. They're using a clear bottle for the 2-liters, when they should have used a green bottle. The label's okay, but the clear bottle doesn't really work for the kind of drink it is, since it's milky white. The 12-packs look great mixed in with the other Fanta flavors, though. I'm just wondering if Coke might get rid of Fanta Apple, though. I've been combing convenience stores looking for 20oz. bottles of Fanta Apple (for trading with a couple of people online) and they're nowhere to be found. I heard from a couple of store owners that Fanta Apple bottles vanished around the time of Sprite Berryclear's intro. Discontinuing the 20 oz. sizes might just be the first step. Introducing a new flavor of Fanta might mean that another, slower selling flavor would have to get the axe, to make room on the shelves. I hope not, I much prefer Apple to Citrus.

karks88
04-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Cool, I'm glad to see Fanta Citrus hitting the stores! If I remember correctly, Citra also had a clear 20oz. bottle. It is a little bit of a strange color, they just might change the bottle eventually.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-22-2004, 04:03 PM
citra had a green bottle, same as surge's. sometimes had yellow caps, sometimes purple. i loved the package design.

fusion
04-23-2004, 12:58 AM
The purple caps were often associated with the Road Rules contest.. I won a bunch of super cheesy prizes from that.. but I also did get a nice cd case with a citra logo on the front.

SURGE
05-11-2004, 04:27 PM
CCE around here keeps giving me the usual run around. Citrus should have been here already but they have run into "delays" in aquiring quantity of syrup. So hopefully soon.

Hacksaw
05-15-2004, 09:00 PM
No sign of it here in San Jose yet.

teamtitan512
05-16-2004, 03:40 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say it's never coming here, considering we don't have any form of Fanta, and haven't since about 2001.

XLS_04
05-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Fanta Citrus never came out here either. This is not a suprise.

fusion
05-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Fanta was everywhere in North Carolina. Minute Maid juice-added sodas were non-existant.

Energydude
05-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Fanta Citrus..... would have loved to have tried it!!!

drpep
05-23-2004, 06:41 PM
No Fanta Citrus in Florida.

teamtitan512
05-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Fusion...I was in Baltimore this weekend, and I saw no Fanta Grape. Minute Maid Grape seemed everywhere, and only Fanta Orange. There was no Minute Maid Valencia in the grocery stores.

Maybe you can vouch for this, but doesn't Safeway have the worst drink selection of any market you've ever seen? The stores I went in only had the brands Coke, Sprite, Barq's, Fresca, Seagram's, and their extensions. They only had Fanta Orange, and MM Grape in 2L, and carried neither line in FP's. Their selection was terrible, and they have far more room to work with than Central does up here. Does any store need 15 facings for 2L's of Fresca? I think not. They barely have that much room for Coke Classic up here from Central. I know it could be CCE's fault, but I assume it's Safeway just not authorizing products, because they're all the same. There's no Pibb. No Mello Yello. No Fanta or Minute Maid in Fridge Packs. Can't say that for Giant, or even SuperFresh.

drpep
05-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Does Safeway still sort by flavor and not brand?

teamtitan512
05-23-2004, 08:44 PM
They just changed it, but their drink selection, and their stores, really do, for the most part, blow.

fusion
05-24-2004, 07:34 PM
When they changed to the new set, they eliminated a ton of fridgepacks. Why, I'll never know. We have plenty of space to carry everything, so why eliminate them?

I agree with the # of facings on the 2L. Nobody needs that many facings of the slower brands, like MM grape, diet Seagram's, etc.

Giant has a better selection, but you really have to hit the stores with the 32 foot Coke sections, because they start eliminating brands below that (28 foot, 24 foot, etc). Giant is realy picky about vendors following THEIR planograms.

Food Lion doesn't seem to be as picky -- but it's really up to the salesperson as to if they order everything in.

karks88
05-25-2004, 12:52 PM
The Giants around here are pretty disappointing when it comes to Coke selection. They don't really carry anything out of the ordinary - Classic (and extensions), Diet (and extensions), Barq's, Diet Barq's, Fresca, MM Orange, MM Grape, Sprite, Diet Sprite, Remix, Seagram's and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two more.

teamtitan512
05-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Remember that not all Giants are created equal. There's the PA division like you and I shop at locally, and then there's the DC division, which wasn't owned by AHold until 1998. I personally prefer the PA stores in everything but drink selection, where I think MD is better.

Giant-PA has some interesting things. In CCE Eastern Great Lakes, the Altoona store doesn't carry any Canada Dry. It's terribly hard finding it there, and it sure shouldn't be. DPSU should pull it, and let them fight around w/Seagram's, because it's basically all Schweppes for super-strong Pepsi, and whatever Vernor's is around from ABC. It depends on the bottler. Central here has little room to work with, but I think has a decent variety. I'd say Pepsi gets maybe 20% more shelf space here than Coke, although sales for the brands are about equal, and more recently, seem to be favoring Coke.

fusion
05-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Giant Carlisle is definately a different animal than Giant Landover. The authorization list for Carlisle is a good third to half shorter than the other chains. We constantly have to deliver non-authorized items to our Martin's location to satisfy customer demands.

Ahold recently merged Giant Landover with Stop & Shop.

Here's the two companies' websites:

Giant Carlisle (http://www.giantpa.com)

Giant Landover (http://www.giantfood.com/)

Carlisle opererates as Giant in PA, Martin's in VA, WV and MD. Landover is Giant in DC, MD and VA, Super G in DE and NJ. All the Super G locations in PA were sold/closed after the Ahold buyout out Landover, and a bunch of Martin's locations in Maryland were sold/closed. The ones in Frederick were County Market for a little while before being acquired by Giant Eagle (a whole different beast than the other two Giants).

teamtitan512
05-30-2004, 03:09 AM
Giant Eagle is entirely different, being the largest market chain in Pittsburgh and Cleveland, HQ'ed in Pittsburgh. Buying the County Market stores got them their first MD stores. They closed the one here in Cumberland at the end of 2003. They did have the best selection of stuff here, but that was because it wasn't changed from it's County Market days. The Pittsburgh Giant Eagles don't have an impressive selection for being big stores, have small aisles, and they're very much a pro-Pepsi chain. Very hard finding much else there in variety. Add that to high prices, and no wonder I'm not a great big fan of Giant Eagle.

I've seen the list from Giant Carlisle, and it's not impressive of what they have authorized. They barely have anything authorized past the core brands, but they have been forced to carry a lot of stuff here otherwise from Central.

What's interesting is some of the backwoods Martin's still left in MD, like the one up in Rising Sun (or is it Elkton?), and the one in Eldersburg. Amazes me they didn't change them into Giant-MD when they bought them, considering both are geographically better known, similar to what happened in Frederick or Westminster. I guess they wanted Martin's to be the small-town podunk market or something.

fusion
05-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Rising Sun. That's in our sales territory. I'd say the big reason why it didn't change was it's non-union. Giant-Landover is a union chain.

It probably also has to do with demographics. They also closed a Martin's in Bel Air, which is a more affluent city east of Baltimore.

I'm not sure how much say the union had in what stores were kept and which were sold.

teamtitan512
05-31-2004, 01:21 AM
I guess you're right. I was thinking when I wrote this that the Martin's simply changed into Giants, but it was that both were in town, and the Martin's closed. Giant-PA, like Weis, is non-union.

Still surprising though they didn't close the Martin's, and build a Giant somewhere. I was just in Eldersburg and unionized chains can make it there, there was a decent-sized mid 90's era Safeway right behind the Wal-Mart.