PDA

View Full Version : Interesting finds -- Indian store, etc.

fusion
11-03-2005, 10:11 PM
I took my car in the shop today, and I noticed an Indian store was right next door. After my car was finished, I stopped in.

I found:

from Coke:
Limca
Thums Up

from Pepsi:
Duke's (Masala Soda)

They also ahad various juices in Tetra packs, and in cans. Also some interesting teas, and some powdered mixes. I picked up some Bourn Vita (powder mix) from Cadbury as well.

At a new Hispanic/International Foods store here, I found fridgepacks of Inca Kola, Guarana Brasilia in funky 2 liter bottles, lots of Coke, Pepsi, 7Up, Sprite, and Mirinda Orange in 12oz longnecks, and other stuff.

I was in Lancaster PA last week, and they have 20oz 6pks of Moxie from Catawissa in Brewer's Outlet. I didn't see anything really unusual in the grocery closeout store across the street this time, though.

bigrich
11-04-2005, 10:15 AM
I really think Coke should try Limca here in the US. I think it tastes better than Citra did, and I loved Citra.

SPLASTiK
11-04-2005, 07:57 PM
An Indian Restaurant I go to sells Limca, Thumbs Up and Orange Fanta.

Last time I was there I bought bottles of Limca and Thumbs Up when i was leaving and took them home.

I thought they were terrible tongue.gif

turtleboy
11-04-2005, 08:15 PM
We have a local Indian store that has tons of glass bottled soda, but after reading some articles last year I'm afraid to buy it.

http://www.indiaresource.org/news/2004/1002.html

bigrich
11-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Thums Up is not good at all. Limca tastes like grapefruit/lime. I always try to have a few bottles of Limca in the house.

ramonazo
11-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Fusion, How does Thums Up taste?

http://www.coca-colaindia.com/media/brand_logos/thunbs-up.jpg

[ 11-08-2005, 01:30 AM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

AzRocks
11-06-2005, 01:19 PM
i went into this weird store and i found a 1.5 ltr. bottle of israeli miranda and i started to drink it and i spit it out. i then looked at the expiration date and it expired like 10 monthes ago :( - oh well

BottleBoss
11-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey fusion, In downtown Frederick ther is a cigar and wine store that sells british foods. they have quite a few sodas from england. They are like $1.75 per can though. I will post the name when i remember it. It's on Market street and has a lot of flags out front.

drpep
11-06-2005, 10:10 PM
BottleBoss, as long as you are giving out info about Frederick, if I am coming north on 15 from Thurmont what is the exit I take for the Giant Eagle I see when I go by? I want to stop but the store and exit sneak up on me and I'm past it before I have a chance to exit.

fusion
11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I think I remember that store, boss.

drpep. You're actually driving on 15 south from Thurmont to the Giant Eagle in Frederick.. or you're driving on 15 north towards Thurmont.

Either way, you want the 7th Street exit in Frederick.

The second Giant Eagle is about 10 minutes away from that one.

You take US 40W aka the "Golden Mile"/West Patrick Street. There are quite a few grocery stores, a Kmart, a mall and some other diversions along there. If you're coming south from Thurmont, it's a two lane exit. After you get off the exit, all the shopping centers will be on your right. Kmart, then Giant-Landover, then Giant Eagle, and then the Frederick Towne Mall. If you take a right at McCain Drive, the Mexican store we keep talking about is in a small strip mall on the right. And if you cross back over 40 on McCain, you'll see a Roy Rogers! I can't remember if that location has Fanta Birch Beer or not.

15 is a real pain to navigate. The exits all have really short ramps and it's a pain to get off and on the highway. Thankfully they have redid some of them.

Where do you get on 15 at? Giant-Carlisle just opened a new 91,000 square foot store in Camp Hill PA, in the Camp Hill Shopping Mall.

drpep
11-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
drpep. You're actually driving on 15 south from Thurmont to the Giant Eagle in Frederick.. or you're driving on 15 north towards Thurmont.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
I meant DC. I've been to that store when it was , I believe, a County Market. I remember a massive RC 12 pack display in the foyer.
I leave 15 just north of Harrisburg and get on 81. Coming home once, I got to 81 by exiting 15 just south of the Camp Hill Mall and taking 581 to 81. Never again, the acceleration lane is about a foot long and traffic is non stop with very little in the way of breaks to merge into traffic. I'll stick to 15/11N.
I read about the new Giant in a trade magazine and was planning a stop on the way home, if I take my road trip next week.
I think there is still a Roy Rogers just south of Frederick off I-270 exit 31, across from the Francis Scott Key Mall.

karks88
11-09-2005, 04:20 PM
I leave 15 just north of Harrisburg and get on 81. Coming home once, I got to 81 by exiting 15 just south of the Camp Hill Mall and taking 581 to 81. Never again, the acceleration lane is about a foot long and traffic is non stop with very little in the way of breaks to merge into traffic. I'll stick to 15/11N.
I used have to have to drive on 581 every day for work and I don't miss it! The funny thing is that it's a fairly new road and yet it was designed so poorly for the amount of traffic it has.

I really want to get up to Camp Hill and see the new Giant. I've heard all kinds of great things about it so far.

fusion
11-09-2005, 05:48 PM
There are a lot of Roy Rogers in Frederick. Plamandon Enterprises owns the Roy Rogers name, and franchise rights (they were one of the bigger franchisees) - and their offices are right behind that McCain Drive location.

The one that I know I saw the birch beer was at the east end of the city, going towards Baltimore. I know Frederick pretty well - I grew up about 30 minutes west of there. But it has changed a LOT since I lived there.

The RC you saw was from RC Winchester. They do pretty well in the chain stores.. I remember them doing a lot with County Market. Lots of slabs, etc.

The County Markets actually came about when Ahold was forced to sell stores after they bought Giant-Landover. The two stores in Frederick were actually Martin's stores.

The one on the Golden Mile was originally behind the mall, but then it moved into the old Service Merchandise (back when it was County Market). Then, Giant Eagle came in and bought out the independent operator who had (I think) around ten locations.. Frederick, Hagerstown, LaVale, and stores in PA. They've since closed all the Maryland stores except the two in Frederick.

fusion
11-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Back to the original idea of this post..

I stopped at an Asian store today. I passed on the barley soda and the Pocari Sweat, but I did get some peach flavored water and a drink called Mega Energy. I also saw some stuff I seen before, like Lotte Chilsung (a Sprite-ish soda), and various orange drinks (they tend to be really pulpy, which I like).

I am always disappointed to see that these stores never carry imported stuff from Coke or Pepsi. I'd love to try some Georgia Coffee, or the Pepsi in an aluminum bottle. Oh well.

No Soda
11-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I tried Thums Up after finding it at a local Indian grocery. I wanted one of the bottles for my collection. I thought it was quite foul. Another produce store in my area has a large Asian food section, and they had several cardboard cases of Thums Up, (the box was marked "Thumps Up") Limca, and a few odd bottles of Fanta Orange.
They also had several flavors of Japanese sodas in little glass Codd bottles. These are sealed with a marble that you push into the bottle to open it. It's an old British idea, still in use in Japan. I tried the strawberry. More fizz than flavor...

ramonazo
11-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by No Soda:
I tried Thums Up after finding it at a local Indian grocery. No soda, how does Thums Up taste?

BottleBoss
11-10-2005, 07:12 PM
The Roy Rogers on the golden mile in frederick (the one on 40 across the highway from the mexican supermarket) has Fanta Birch beer still. And those directions to the Giant Eagle are correct. (good job!)

fusion
11-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Cool! The last time I went to that Roy Rogers, I was surprised at how many different flavors they had in their fountains.

I was thinking.. Dr Pep would probably like the Golden Mile Giant Eagle better.. it's a much bigger store, and they carry a lot more than the 7th Street location. For some reason, I had thought that the 7th Street store was bigger than it was. I was there over a month ago, and it seemed tiny to me.

drpep
11-11-2005, 07:48 PM
The 7th street one will have to do. I have to hit that, the new Camp Hill Giant and make it home to NY in the same day.

bigrich
11-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Thums Up tastes like "dirty" cola. That is the best way to describe it.

No Soda
11-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Ramin, I found Thums Up to be, as I said, foul. Didn't even finish the whole bottle.

No Soda
11-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Sorry about mispelling you name redface.gif

ramonazo
11-13-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by No Soda:
Sorry about mispelling you name redface.gif No problem!
If you said so, maybe Thums Up its not good at all...

drpep
11-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Fanta Birch Beer at Five Guys in Woodstock, Va.

drpep
11-19-2005, 08:28 PM
I changed my trip plans which resulted in an overnight in Frederick, MD. I found the Mexican store and picked up some Pepsi and Fanta. Stupid broad behind the counter ripped me off. First I hate it when buying something and the cashier remains mute which this #@!$ did. Then she punched a bunch of numbers in the register which were 1.50 and 1.25 and came up with a total of $9 for 4 bottles. The rest of my comments are inappropriate for this board.
I did see a Latino market on the road up the hill from the Taco Bell on the Golden Mile, didn't stop in.
The Giant in Camp Hill is impressive. I had expected it to be like one of the Martins in upstate NY but it's not. I'm not good and remembering and posting observations but this much I do remember. It features valet parking. You can sign up to carry around a scanner to scan your items as you place them in your cart, like Food Lions Bloom stores have.
It has an aisle featuring Staples office supplies which leads to a DVD/CD/video game section. I think this came from Ahold's Stop and Shop stores.
The prepared food section was interesting. The was the salad bar, a sub and pannini (sp?) station, hot food buffet, a Chinese food section and a grill section which today was featuring grilled marinated steak and chicken.
The store still had the familiar Giant/Ahold look to it.
I found this more impressive than the Wegman stores that surround me. I prefer a grocery store to look like a grocery store and not like some European Market.

Mr Zabe
11-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Just wondering, we have a local chain,SunSet Foods. They do not have valet parking but the store really caters to their customers. They have a coffee station with fresh coffee that is self served in real ceramic mugs. The have all kinds of prepared food. The employees are super friendly and they unpack your cart at the check out(high school kids ect).

What were the prices like at this store. What was a case of DP selling for?

drpep
11-19-2005, 08:44 PM
A 12 pack of DP was about $4.49. Prices seemed a bit high to me but I am not familiar with the Harrisburg market to know if they are high or low for that area. The ad prices were very good.

[ 11-19-2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: drpep ]

fusion
11-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by drpep:
I changed my trip plans which resulted in an overnight in Frederick, MD. I found the Mexican store and picked up some Pepsi and Fanta. Stupid broad behind the counter ripped me off. First I hate it when buying something and the cashier remains mute which this #@!$ did. Then she punched a bunch of numbers in the register which were 1.50 and 1.25 and came up with a total of $9 for 4 bottles. The rest of my comments are inappropriate for this board.

I think when they realize the customer is an English speaking one, they don't say anything. For some reason, I do seem to pass as Hispanic, or something.. because they often give me the total in Spanish, and say "gracias."

I did see a Latino market on the road up the hill from the Taco Bell on the Golden Mile, didn't stop in.

I posted about that store on another thread. It's a scary place!

The Giant in Camp Hill is impressive. I had expected it to be like one of the Martins in upstate NY but it's not.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to go out there when I get a few extra days off.

BottleBoss
11-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Theres also another 'International supermarket' behind the KFC that is beside the Wolfs furninture store, which furniture store is behind the Metro Market 2 where you all went. The have a few sodas as well. Does that make sense?

fusion
11-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Willowtree Plaza or something to that effect. My sister's ex-husband's parents used to own that liquor store in there. and I have eaten at that chinese quite place a few times as well.

I also forgot to mention that I bought the last two bottles of Manzana Lift at the Metro Market.

And speaking of Staples/Ahold, I saw them putting out displays of Staples items at Martin's this morning.