PDA

View Full Version : Cane Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

jerkytreats
04-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Now that the media is beginning to buzz about the health problems related to High Fructose Corn Syrup (obesity, insulin resistance, hepatic dysfunction, etc) is it easier or does anyone know if it's going to be easier to find sodas made the old-fashioned way, with SUGAR?

I distinctly remember years back when Mountain Dew was destroyed for me by the switch to HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup is such a hot topic lately in the recent flurry of medical journals on the subject that it has officially reached anagram status!).. It was a change obvious enough that I had to look at the ingredients and figure out what was different. The manufacturers claim it's all the same, but I know something about the taste of soda today is very unappealing.

Anyway, try entering "High Fructose" or "HFCS" in google (by themselves, you don't even have to add "danger" or "problems") and see how many health related documents come up on the first page. Then figure how long it will be before the diet industry catches on to the metabolic problems and fat-spawning properties of the stuff, and see how long it takes to get the sugar back.. Or at least an option?

[ 04-27-2004, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: jerkytreats ]

Energydude
04-27-2004, 01:38 AM
I posted all of this months ago and many people on this board just don't get it. I have said many times why not just make a better product? Coke and Pepsi continue to make their product with HFCS and it is all crap and we know it. I have asked many times why not just make the product better. We ALL know real CANE SUGAR will make the product better. Now they are coming out with combination products using SPLENDA and HFCS....?????? I guess its better than nothing!

What company doesn't want to make their product better when the dangers of HFCS are apparent. :confused:

Gary C
04-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Unfortunately for us, most companies are only out to make as much money as possible, and not to produce the best product. They will do whatever they can get away with to make more money, within reason of course. I don't know much about the soda business, but believe me, if going back to sugar meant higher sales, they'd do it quickly. You might say that soda made with sugar is better than HFCS, but the majority of consumers just don't care, since the difference between the two isn't overwhelming to most. The people on this board know that soda made with sugar is much better, but we are not a large enough group to make a difference.

Energydude
04-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Gary I understand what you are saying but.....
Coke and Pepsi are getting kicked out of school districts all around the country! What does that tell you? Make the product better!!! Pepsi and Coke can both be made with Splenda!!! Take out the HFCS and make a better product!!! Schools are demanding it!!! Just make the damn product better..... its not rocket science.

RunWithDaLilGuy
04-28-2004, 05:39 PM
there are tariffs on import quantities of sugar. every year, tariffs are slapped on any sugar that enters the borders after the limit of 1.3B Tons is reached. The American sugar industry couldn't make up the demand, thus the switch to corn syrup (because prices went up). even LifeSavers left Holland, Michigan for Canada because of the sugar tariff rules.

Energydude
04-28-2004, 06:00 PM
http://www.rationalexplications.com/blog/archives/000211.html

You can say that again!!! Our tariffs to protect a few at the expense of millions is a real shame.

Gary C
04-29-2004, 09:55 AM
But what is the reason that Coke and Pepsi are getting kicked out of school districts? I would guess that it's because too many kids are becoming overweight by consuming too much junk food and soda. It doesn't matter if it is made with sugar or HFCS -- it's still high in calories. In my opinion, I just don't like or trust any artificial sweeteners either. They always eventually find out years later how bad they are for you.

Energydude
04-29-2004, 11:25 AM
More and more studies have been done and Sugar and HFCS are not processed by the body the same.
There is no doubt Sugar is far better than HFCS and it is time everyone just made their product better and use REAL CANE SUGAR! Wow what a dream.