PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Blue comeback?

djmousie
05-03-2004, 03:36 PM
This trademark was recently added to the UK Patent Department:

http://webdb4.patent.gov.uk/tm/number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2317922

You think Pepsi Blue has a shot of making a comeback?

DietCokeEnthusiast
05-03-2004, 03:46 PM
That was filed in 2002...

karks88
05-04-2004, 12:05 PM
There was an article in yesterday's Atlanta Journal-Consitution stating that Pepsi Blue is officially discontinued. Here's the link:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/0504/01pepsi.html

djmousie
05-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Little-noticed Pepsi Blue gone after two years

By SCOTT LEITH
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 05/01/04

Check your refrigerator: If there's an old bottle of Pepsi Blue, you have a bit of a collector's item.

Berry-flavored Pepsi Blue, launched two years ago by Pepsi-Cola, is officially out of the market.

Until now, few people beyond the brand's hard-core fans even noticed it was gone. But trade publication Beverage Digest noted the demise Friday, helping close this particular chapter of pop culture.

"It was actually a pretty interesting idea, but in the end, violets are blue, colas are not," said John Sicher, editor and publisher.

Pepsi Blue debuted in 2002 around the same time as Vanilla Coke, which survives. It inspired sales of 17 million cases in its debut year, according to Beverage Digest.

In 2003, however, sales dribbled to just 4.9 million cases, a minuscule total in the U.S. soft-drink world. With that, it was only a matter of time before Blue faded to black.

"People give us credit for trying new things," said Pepsi spokesman Dave DeCecco.

Coca-Cola has had its share of failures, too, notably Surge, a former competitor to Pepsi's Mountain Dew.

While Pepsi Blue has disappeared, some of those who hold stockpiles are looking for takers. EBay, that reliable marketplace of everything obscure, has a number of Pepsi Blue items on sale as collectibles, including bottles of the soda itself.

Pepsi will try, try again. This June, the company is launching Pepsi Edge, a midcalorie cola that will compete with a coming new Coke brand called C2.

SURGE
05-11-2004, 03:37 PM
Not to insult those who enjoy Blue, but to compair it to SURGE is pretty bad idea. In their debut years SURGE sold about 4x as much and after that faired far better over the long run. I am sorry to see any drink leave that has a following and wish the Blue-Lovers my very best.

PhillySteve
05-12-2004, 12:22 AM
I think it's bad to compare Pepsi Blue with anything really. But of course when it comes to finance they always need to make a comparison with something. Pepsi Blue was constantly being compared to Vanilla Coke because it was released about the same time, but did the two products really have much more in common than that?

HongyDraw
05-31-2004, 11:56 PM
Just so you know, the Jewel-Osco in Morris IL has a huge soda section that needs its own room. Thanks to them I have Josta, Surge, Pepsi Blue, and MUG Creame Soda IN MY REFRIGORATOR right now.! They also stock the usual pop and some others like Bubble Gum Crush, Sprite Ice (even though my cousin who lives in Texas dosent believe me, saying it is only sold in Canada--then how do i buy it every day MWAHAHA!), Sprite Remix, Jolt (cola, clear grape, and blue), Pepsi Crystal, and A&W Orange Creame Soda. I love that store... smile.gif :D

Shatter
06-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Crystal Pepsi hasn't been in production by any Pepsi bottler in the world in a decade or more. And Josta's been out of production for a while also.