PDA

View Full Version : Beverage logos on stores

Soda by Hammer
05-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Are there any groups of collectors or enthusiasts of those old signs on stores that display a beverage logo? You know, those rectangular soda signs, usually backlit, that are braced from the sides of older buildings. Usually they have a full soda brand logo taking up most of the sign space, with the name of the store in small lettering below. Not as common as they once were, such signs may still be found in small towns across America.

I'm still a little puzzled about what these signs meant. Sure, if there's a Coke sign above a restaurant or a grocery, the understanding is you can buy Coca-Cola there. But what does it mean when there's a sign in front of a business that does not usually sell soft drinks, like a 14-room motel? (vending machines?)

I'm trying to start a collection of photos of different store signs. So far, the most common signs I've found are Coke, Pepsi, and 7up, with a very occasional Mountain Dew. So whenever I travel I look for rare brands. Rumor has it there's actually a Teem sign hanging somewhere. I'm also trying to locate signs from different eras (Pepsi in script) and other variations; some of the Coke signs are round for example. I plan to put these all on a website soon.

Some beer companies have similar logo signs, and I hear that in parts of small-town Pennsylvania, Breyer's and Hershey's Ice Cream do the same.

drpep
05-04-2004, 07:53 PM
There is a building in Tioga, NY with a Teem sign on it. I can't remember if it is painted on the building or a billboard type sign. It is still in good shape though.

SamC
05-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Originals are VERY valuable. Several collectable groups.

IIRC, all soda companies provided these signs. Good customer relations, and free advertising for the company. Coke quit about 1973. Others followed suit.

kbw guy
05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
There are A-treat signs like the ones you describe all over the lehigh valley and berks counties in southeast PA.

golee1
05-08-2004, 03:21 AM
really sprite sign from the mid-60's on a Dairy Queen in Clifton Forge VA. One side hs the original logo in green, the other side in red.