PDA

View Full Version : Is Splenda a secret ?

Energydude
05-05-2004, 11:36 AM
I realize this product is a little more expensive but with all the potential dangers of Aspartame and the inability of others to maintain sweetness over time why is anyone still using these products???? Does quality mean anything? Splenda has been around since 1999 and still some are using inferior sugar substitutes??? Crazy!

Startup Dude
05-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Edude, I'm all for the use of quality sweetners in beverage, such as pure cane sugar, but what makes you think that sucralose is safer than aspartame? It may taste better, be more expensive, but how can you be sure it's a safer product? As it is a new product, no one can predict the side-effect linked with long term human consumption of sucralose. It may have FDA's GRAS status, but so does aspartame, ace-k and etc.

[ 05-05-2004, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Startup Dude ]

Energydude
05-06-2004, 12:42 AM
Splenda is in 50 countries and was tested by the FDA for 7 years without the vast numbers of problems associated with aspartame. Even after a year Splenda has tested to keep its sweetness, Aspartame loses more than 40% !!! Enough Said!

Stevia Dude
05-07-2004, 12:38 PM
I wouldn't want to hang my hat on what the FDA approves. FDA approval of aspartame (a known neurotoxin) got aspartame fast-tracked throughout the world and now it is the highest source of complaints to the FDA.

Long-term studies should be decades long...not seven years. Sucralose is chlorinated sugar!

Ron
05-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Re Stevia Dude's reply.

...and salt is Chlorinated Sodium. Both ingedients are poisonous. So what's your point.

Energydude
05-07-2004, 06:04 PM
There are poisons in our drinking water. That does not mean our drinking water is POISONOUS for us to drink!!!

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-08-2004, 02:50 AM
oh energy dude, do you think that the commies are brainwashing you through your tapwater?

Hacksaw
05-10-2004, 06:19 PM
I suspect that there was a bunch of money invested into aspartame some years back by major aspartame users, so they won't be in a hurry to throw those investments away.

Aspartame gives me a slight headache, but Splenda seems to give me intestinal problems. Can we bring back cyclamtes? :D

Chlorinated sugar? I suspect that what happens during digestion, since everyone has Hydrochloric Acid in their stomachs. I understand Sulfuric Acid is used during Cane Sugar refining.

Energydude
05-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Splenda is a much better product than Aspartame why companies are still using it I don't understand.

stinker
05-10-2004, 09:55 PM
energydude is going to be pushing a new water with Splenda in it. This is why he has a hard on for Splenda and everything else sucks.

Energydude
05-10-2004, 10:30 PM
Nope..... sorry I don't do water! I sell beverages only! Dasani is just to good to compete against. ;)

toby1
05-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Energydude:
Splenda is a much better product than Aspartame why companies are still using it I don't understand. COST OF GOODS......maybe?

stinker
05-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by stinker:
energydude is going to be pushing a new water with Splenda in it. This is why he has a hard on for Splenda and everything else sucks. Plus his paw crap has splenda so everything else is junk.

MooseGuy
05-11-2004, 01:57 PM
I think personally that Splenda is far superior than Aspartame and Sacharin, but I have to believe too that the reason for the slow jump to it is that many have invested so heavily into the others in their recipe, that it will take time before they can find it feasible financially to make the switch. Pressure from competition is waht usually will drive it though too. If someone starts making record sales with a Splenda based product, I'm sure the time window will shorten dramatically. It will happen. As far as the safety issues, man that's always going to be up for debate. I do think that aspartame has screwed with my memory, but that doesn't mean that it will do the same for my neighbor. (Man,..what is that guy's name? I keep forgettin' it) Oh,..anyway.

Kinda off topic,..but what kills me are the companies that still use manitol and sorbitol as sugar subs in candy etc. My God!!!

What the heck was going on in that boardroom when they agreed on that ingredient!??! "OK,..It's agreed,..we will go with Manitol as our #1 ingredient and give our customer's what they want!! Sugar free candy that makes them cramp up and sh*&@T 24 hours straight! Ah yeah,...that will be a winner!" Again,..it HAS to boil down to dollars and these ingredients are cheaper. Rather than fix the problem,..the cheapest way out was to change the labeling and add a disclaimer. Excessive use of this product (eating more than one jellybean) can cause a laxative effect in certain individuals (the kind that have two legs and breathe oxygen).

SURGE
05-11-2004, 03:43 PM
I persoanlly don't care for E-Dude's motiviations in this respect he is right. Splenda is where its at and its great to see the big guys getting into it with Edge and C2 respectivly. I actually prefer splenda to HFCS. So far the only widely avalible sodas with it are Diet RC and Diet Rite. With Diet RC hard to find i sometimes drink Diet Rite which is not the best cola but thats not the fault of the splenda.

Stevia Dude
05-13-2004, 12:00 PM
You might want to check out http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/sucralose_dangers.htm# if you think splenda is where it's at...

Ron, my concern with Sucralose being chlorinated sugar is that it's made into an artificial sweetener. We won't know for years what effect sucralose has on the body. It's only been on the market for a very short time in the whole scheme of things. I've heard people argue that sucralose is safe because it's made from sugar. But if it's not naturally occurring it doesn't have any place in our food. ie: NaCl is naturally occurring.

SplitLevelP
05-13-2004, 12:48 PM
I'm sick of the sweetner debate.Where is a unsweeted version of cola so we can make our own choice like in iced tea? Thats my answer.

Energydude
05-13-2004, 09:35 PM
I don't have any motivation other than this Splenda product is so much better than what is being used out there..... WHY are companies still using less effective products?

stinkfinger
05-13-2004, 09:38 PM
Why are you a jerk?

Energydude
05-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Thanks for your imput stinkyfinger... My point is why do beverage products not improve with technology? Diet Pepsi is just plain nasty why not improve it with Splenda???? I simply don't understand......

USE PURE CANE SUGAR !!!! SumPoosie does and it taste soooooooooooooooooooooo good because they do!

Dear Coke and Pepsi please make your product with Real Cane Sugar and mark it up a dime or quarter and I will still seek it out and BUY IT !!!!!

jerkytreats
05-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Interesting topic.. toxic artificial sweeteners. Are there really any non-toxic ones? It's still kind of a general consensus that saccharin is the safest of the sweeteners. Aside from a carcinogen or two somewhere in the chemical makeup..

Has anyone read some of the interesting medical journals relating to aspartame and it's exciting internal journey as it converts into methanol, then to formaldehyde which accumulates in your body, and sometimes even ends up as formic acid, the same acid some insects sting with?
There is a lot of debate online. Nutrasweet has been around a while and is fairly well documented in its aggrivation of myofacial disorders, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, and migraine headaches.. (It does not, however, cause brain tumors) What would happen to the diet industry if the media ever found reason enough to make some noise?...

And an interesting side experiment.. Ever tried pouring a packet of splenda into filtered/spring water? (because it ideally would have no taste of smell to start out) It suddenly smells a lot like a swimming pool..

Add to that--- Ever wonder why your drink tastes like the plastic bottle after the bottle gets warm? Because you're drinking Polyethylene Terephthalate plasticizers! The stuff that makes the plastic soft and flexy instead of brittle and cracky. di(2-ethylhexyl)adipate (DEHA) leeches out into the liquids contained inside plastic bottles when they begin to break down.. (vinyl phalates are worse, so resist the urge to drink from your car seats)

There's debate about all of it of course, since PET plastics are the lifes blood of the food & bev industry today, it would be awful hard to get anyone to stand behind scary toxicity reports unless people were dropping off like flies. People always start by shouting CANCER!! but the truth is usually a lot less obvious than that. It's another situation where all the non-profits and universities doing independent studies find freaky correlations to evil, but all the corporate sponsored studies come up showing only mom's 100% all natural ingredients. DEHA has officially been removed from the EPA toxins list. So leave your water bottle in the sun a little longer and drink all you can! Plastic bottle juice is good for you!

Should probably have started another thread? It's not really about splenda. Sorry

Plastic Bottle Juice!! MMM!

[ 05-15-2004, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: jerkytreats ]

Energydude
05-16-2004, 02:49 AM
Still I wonder why more have not jumped on the Spleda bandwagon. Why would anyone continue to use Aspartame?

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-16-2004, 06:45 PM
pepsi or coke wouldn't dare mess with the formulas for their successful diet sodas, such as diet coke and pepsi.

diet vanilla coke outsells vanilla coke, and diet cherry is on par with cherry. why mess with a good thing?

Stevia Dude
05-16-2004, 09:36 PM
jerkytreat, stevia is a non-toxic and natural sweetener with no calories & no carbs. Also, you didn't mention how high-acid beverages (which is virtually all beverages except water) break down the PET bottles to ensure a high dose of plastic with every sip...

jerkytreats
05-25-2004, 03:40 PM
I posted in here since it's an interesting topic and not about sweeteners..

Going Back to Glass, Bad Bottles and Killer Cans (http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002417)

Energydude
05-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Why has the FDA not jumped on the Stevia bandwagon?

MISTICman
05-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Diet Hansen's is the only soda company I know of so far that uses Splenda. Their Black Cherry is not bad at all.

Energydude
05-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Splenda ??? or Stevia !!! There are plenty of beverage companies using Splenda.... you meant to say Stevia right?

Startup Dude
05-25-2004, 11:21 PM
Has stevia obtained GRAS status? Is stevia a FDA approved food additive or only a dietary supplement?

Stevia Dude
05-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Stevia is not FDA GRAS approved. However, there’s a lot of gray area between beverages and supplements now with vitamin waters, energy drinks etc. We’re selling a zero-carb product in this gray area labeled as a supplement at progressive health food stores in the Bay Area of California and in the Boulder, Colorado area. Our product could also be labeled an iced tea if it were sweetened with sugar, aspartame or sucralose. The labeling regulations are very tricky though. Rather than marketing our product to the lowest common denominator we choose to market to the “smart” consumers who can read between the lines because they realize that the FDA GRAS approval process may be biased. (ie: GRAS is supposed to be applied to additives that have been in “common use” in the diet which in the case of stevia is supported in a petition filed by the Herb Research Foundation in 1993 http://www.holisticmed.com/sweet/stv-supp.txt#B )

Ron
05-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Diet RC and Diet Rite use Splenda!

OriginalCyn
06-13-2004, 01:09 AM
Stevia has not been approved as a food additive. That's why you don't see it in soda pops and suchlike.

People say that the sugar industry and the manufacturers of artificial sweeteners have applied political pressure to keep stevia's use limited in the USA; I have no idea whether or not such "conspiracy theories" have any validity.

You can buy stevia only as a food supplement, and you're free to add it to (for example) your iced tea, your unsweetened cranberry juice, etc., but you won't be seeing it in your favorite soft drink any time soon, even though it has a long history of safety.

savyj
06-13-2004, 03:24 AM
Hi guys, came across this post from a Google search, thought I'd let you in on a secret.

<snip on Stevia>
in Japan, for example, Stevia claims 41% of the sweetener market, including sugar, and was used in Japanese Diet Coke until the company replaced it with aspartame to "standardize" worldwide. There have not been any reports of toxicity with stevia, which is consumed by millions of people daily.
</snip>

It's not a regular sweetner here in the States because Nutrasweet doesn't want it to be, it'd ruin their business. It's a regular sweetner used in MASS quantity in other countries and has been used for over 100 years.

As far as Splenda goes, I have to believe that sucralose is better for the human body than aspartame, based on several things I've read. My Mother has stomach issues with some of the Splenda foods too, however she found out those particular foods were using sucralose AND sugar alchohols. The sugar alchohols were what were giving her the stomach ailments, foods without them but with just Splenda didn't bother her at all.

I just had my first C2 tonight. I was sorely disapointed to find that it still had aspartame in it (I won't continue drinking it) and the taste honestly isn't great but definitely better than Diet Coke. If you want to try it and can't find it in your local store, you could probably come pretty close by mixing regular coke with diet coke about 50/50. It does contain sucralose but it's the last ingredient in the list, two behind aspartame. I didn't realize Diet RC used splenda, I'll be trying that and Edge when it comes out. smile.gif

Here's a possible jingle for Coca-Cola:
C2, half the sugar, half the crappy diet taste!

[ 06-13-2004, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: savyj ]

USF SPAMMER 1
06-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Why not just drink less soda instead of putting this artificial sweetener dogcrap in your body and piehole?

ColaFan
06-29-2004, 10:48 AM
I spoke to a food technologist and she said that while Splenda tastes very good in plain water, the taste changes dramatically when Splenda is put in an acid environment. An acidic environment like any carbonated beverage or for that matter any ready-to-drink beverage. To make a shelf stable beverage, the pH has to be below 3.5. At that pH, the taste of Splenda becomes very metallic and very artificial. Yes RC Cola does use Splenda, but they also use it with Ace K. Coke’s C2 uses Splenda, Aspartame and Ace K. They use the 3 artificial sweeteners because by itself, the Splenda tastes very metallic and has a long lingering aftertaste. Coke thinks they have reached a happy balance by using all 3 sweeteners.
Pepsi Edge is one of the few products that uses only Splenda as it’s artificial sweetener. Pepsi get their Edge to work because they use it in conjunction with the HFCS (so they use less Splenda). That and because they are smart and probably figured out a trick about Splanda.

Anyway… that’s what my friend says. She did make me a drink with Splenda and kept lowering the pH by adding more acid and I agree, the taste went from pleasent to fowl with the addition of the citric acid

stinkfinger
06-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by ColaFan:

the taste went from pleasent to fowl with the addition of the citric acid WOW!! it tasted like chicken?????

Coke04
06-29-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by stinkfinger:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ColaFan:

the taste went from pleasent to fowl with the addition of the citric acid WOW!! it tasted like chicken????? </font>[/QUOTE]Okay, that's the hardest I've laughed in a while :D

RunWithDaLilGuy
06-29-2004, 02:17 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fusion
06-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Adirondack Beverages (http://www.adirondackbeverages.com/index.htm) , a subsidiary of Polar sells a line of Splenda/Ace-K sweetened drinks under the Waist Watchers name. There are about 15 different flavors, sold in different packages.

I remember trying the lemon-lime, it wasn't too bad. They also have a chocolate soda!

Startup Dude
06-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by stinkfinger:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ColaFan:

the taste went from pleasent to fowl with the addition of the citric acid WOW!! it tasted like chicken????? </font>[/QUOTE]Stinkfinger, you assume he meant chicken... could be duck, goose, turkey or pheasant :D

Startup Dude
06-29-2004, 03:38 PM
...To make a shelf stable beverage, the pH has to be below 3.5... That is correct for sodas, but not for beverages in general. You can make non-acidic shelf stable beverages by using retort or UHT.

Startup Dude
07-14-2004, 08:19 AM
I spoke to a food technologist and she said that while Splenda tastes very good in plain water, the taste changes dramatically when Splenda is put in an acid environment....

...Anyway… that’s what my friend says. She did make me a drink with Splenda and kept lowering the pH by adding more acid and I agree, the taste went from pleasent to fowl with the addition of the citric acid That would explain why splenda in coffee tastes like road kill fowl.

Startup Dude
09-10-2004, 03:58 AM
Again, I must say this is a very accurate observation. As splenda is such a recurring topic lately, I tought of bringing this post up again. Although I don't think splenda is the miracle solution for a low cal soda, I must say it works wonderfully for other non acidic food items.

I spoke to a food technologist and she said that while Splenda tastes very good in plain water, the taste changes dramatically when Splenda is put in an acid environment. An acidic environment like any carbonated beverage or for that matter any ready-to-drink beverage. To make a shelf stable beverage, the pH has to be below 3.5. At that pH, the taste of Splenda becomes very metallic and very artificial. Yes RC Cola does use Splenda, but they also use it with Ace K. Coke’s C2 uses Splenda, Aspartame and Ace K. They use the 3 artificial sweeteners because by itself, the Splenda tastes very metallic and has a long lingering aftertaste. Coke thinks they have reached a happy balance by using all 3 sweeteners.
Pepsi Edge is one of the few products that uses only Splenda as it’s artificial sweetener. Pepsi get their Edge to work because they use it in conjunction with the HFCS (so they use less Splenda). That and because they are smart and probably figured out a trick about Splanda.

Anyway… that’s what my friend says. She did make me a drink with Splenda and kept lowering the pH by adding more acid and I agree, the taste went from pleasent to fowl with the addition of the citric acid

Energydude
09-22-2004, 11:50 AM
The guy went into the doctors office and said, "Every time I raise my arm like this it hurts!" "What should I do doc?" The doctor looked at him and said "I have the cure, don't raise your arm like this!"