PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi Updates Package Graphics

XLS_03
01-14-2003, 07:32 PM
New Look Incorporates More Pronounced Globe Icon, Bolder Type and Ice-Shard Background

NEW YORK, NY (December 9, 2002) – Pepsi-Cola North America President Dawn Hudson today unveiled updated, bolder-looking package graphics for Pepsi-Cola and Caffeine Free Pepsi-Cola at Beverage Digest’s Future Smarts conference in New York City. Consumers will see the new packaging on shelves beginning in March 2003.

"Pepsi is about a youthful attitude, boldness and excitement and this look brings those qualities to life," said Hudson. "Package graphics are the face of our brand and this more modern design embodies Pepsi’s youthful personality."

The new look capitalizes on the power of the Pepsi Globe – one of the world’s most recognizable icons – by making it larger and more pronounced. The word "Pepsi" is printed in a bolder, more stylized font with a touch of silver for a more contemporary look and feel. Ice shards highlight the blue background to give it a more dynamic, three-dimensional appearance. On cans, the word "Pepsi" is written across the top instead of along the side. The product formula will not change.

The updated graphics will appear in the U.S. and Canada on everything with a Pepsi logo – plastic bottles, cans, 12- and 24-packs, fountain cups, vending machines, Visi-Coolers, advertising signs and more. Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Twist, Wild Cherry Pepsi and Pepsi Blue will make slight adjustments in the future to mimic the new look.

After a nine-month process during which several hundred designs were explored, Pepsi's design group and Landor Associates, New York arrived at the look which best fit the exciting, confident and youthful equities of the Pepsi-Cola brand.

Pepsi-Cola North America (www.pepsi.com), headquartered in Purchase, N.Y., is the $4 billion beverage division of PepsiCo, Inc. (www.pepsico.com) in the United States and Canada. Its U.S. brands include Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Twist, Pepsi ONE, Pepsi Blue, Wild Cherry Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Code Red, Mug, Sierra Mist, Slice, Aquafina, SoBe, Dole single-serve juices and FruitWorks. The company also makes and markets North America’s #1 ready-to-drink iced teas and coffees, respectively, via joint ventures with Lipton and Starbucks.

http://www.pepsico.com/news/pepsicola/2002/20021209p.shtml

BottleBoss
01-14-2003, 08:51 PM
Oh yes, I feel so much younger when I drink Pepsi because of how "Youthfull" it is. It will tste soo much better becuase of the new graphics on the cans. MMMMMmmmmmm.

SamC
01-14-2003, 11:02 PM
The Real Thing leads, and the imitator follows.

Shatter
01-15-2003, 02:41 AM
ANYTHING would make the Wild Cherry Pepsi package look better. It's recent design change makes it look like a store brand.

SURGE
01-15-2003, 02:44 AM
You can put a nice picture on it but its still the same crap inside.

XLS_03
03-12-2003, 01:32 PM
has anyone seen these new graphics yet?

fusion
03-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Yup. They're all over the place here.. But just on Pepsi 2 liters and 24oz.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-12-2003, 08:18 PM
i seen 'em.

and yeah, the wild cherry (and mug) redo's look godawful.

fusion
03-12-2003, 09:25 PM
The new Mug would look pretty cool, except for the bulldog they put in front of the logo. That ruins the whole thing.

And Wild Cherry Pepsi took about ten steps backward. Their new graphics look horrible!

Shatter
03-13-2003, 12:04 AM
They should have some kind of web poll for new designs. Let someone other than a bunch of executive board members with no concept of good taste select label styles.

Terry K
03-13-2003, 03:50 AM
The new pepsi graphics are on teh Fridge Mates they sell in Wyoming =)

Android
03-13-2003, 06:54 AM
I'm wondering about those Fridge Mates Pepsi is running here in Wyoming. Are they running both the old and new 12 packs? Or do they have a big warehouse full of the old stuff? I say this because the only place I've seen them so far is a small display in Walmart in Casper. Elsewhere in the store, Pepsi's normal huge end-aisle display there and their normal shelf space is all normal 12 packs. About the only pepsi product I buy anymore is Diet Pepsi in 24 ounce plastic, I don't really look too closely at the 12 packs. I guess once I stopped drinking Pepsi after my A.D. Heusing glass bottle stock ran out a few months ago, I don't pay hardly any attention to Pepsi anymore. I didn't even notice the "new" logo on those fridge mates.
I was more into Pepsi a few years ago. Heck, I still have a number of the original test market cans that preceded Pepsi's current design. I'll have to dig one up and compare to this new one ... if I remember right, those mid 90's test market cans also had some silver trim around the letters, but the Pepsi Ball was smaller. Oh well, unless they do something about how it tastes coming out of aluminum, a new logo won't persuade me to buy it!

Terry K
03-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Android:
I'm wondering about those Fridge Mates Pepsi is running here in Wyoming. Are they running both the old and new 12 packs? Or do they have a big warehouse full of the old stuff? I say this because the only place I've seen them so far is a small display in Walmart in Casper. Elsewhere in the store, Pepsi's normal huge end-aisle display there and their normal shelf space is all normal 12 packs. About the only pepsi product I buy anymore is Diet Pepsi in 24 ounce plastic, I don't really look too closely at the 12 packs. I guess once I stopped drinking Pepsi after my A.D. Heusing glass bottle stock ran out a few months ago, I don't pay hardly any attention to Pepsi anymore. I didn't even notice the "new" logo on those fridge mates.
Admiral is not running any old 12 packs any more. Everything has (or soon will be) purely Fridge Mate/Cool 12 packs. Down in the Cheyenne area, more flavours are showing up in them, and as I understand it from the folks at Pepsi, they're going to just replace them as they run out of the old ones. But the answer to your question is no, they aren't running *any* product other than Fridge Mates.

[ 03-13-2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: Terry K ]

Android
03-13-2003, 05:42 PM
answer to your question is no, they aren't running *any* product other than Fridge Mates Ok, cool, thanks. I read about these several weeks ago but hadn't seen them til yesterday. well... I did see 7-up in these in Cheyenne though about a week ago, but no Pepsi, at the store I was at that is. I shouldn't be surprised, Pepsi moves rather slow around here. Not like it did when I worked for Pepsi in Fort Collins several years ago...

andy

Shatter
03-14-2003, 01:44 AM
if I remember right, those mid 90's test market cans also had some silver trim around the letters, but the Pepsi Ball was smaller. What exactly was a Pepsi Ball?

XLS_03
03-14-2003, 02:30 PM
The Pepsi ball from the late 90's is now once again a Pepsi Bottle Cap without the sides (the sides of the bottle cap were on the 50s/60s graphics.) after that and to this day it is just the top view of the bottle cap.

Pepsi said its supposed to be a bottle cap in flying motion.

The silver trim was also used on the Pepsi graphics from 1992-1998 if you remember correctly. But maybe your talking about something different.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-15-2003, 01:56 PM
they call the 12pks of half liter bottles fun runners. i've been to several meijers and i've run into the pepsi merchers, they only have to put up a few of those things. not selling so hot...

Android
03-15-2003, 06:02 PM
The silver trim was also used on the Pepsi graphics from 1992-1998 if you remember correctly. But maybe your talking about something different.
Yeah, something different, sort of. When Pepsi test marketed the current blue ice background logo, it was in Des Moines Iowa (where I used to travel to to buy the returnables they were still producing at that time, so I was able to get some of the test market stuff) The crushed ice background was pretty much applied to the existing Pepsi letting and "Pepsi Ball" graphic, so it did have the previous silver trim. When Pepsi went national with that style, they made the Pepsi Ball more prominent and ditched the silver trim.

andy

Shatter
03-16-2003, 01:18 AM
Sorry. When you guys were talking about the Pepsi Ball, I was thinking of the (I think) Budweiser Party Ball, kind of a mini-keg. When you brought it up, I thought that maybe Pepsi had put out something like it. My mistake.

The Party Ball concept might work, though. Root Beer, for example. Doesn't Boylan's do mini-kegs like that?

XLS_03
03-27-2003, 12:49 PM
The only new Pepsi graphics I seen are on the 2 liter and 20oz. bottles for Pepsi, Caffeine Free Pepsi. I am impressed with the design they used and I like how they have pieces of ice on the Pepsi symbol. Looks very space age.

[ 03-27-2003, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: XLS_03 ]

XLS_03
03-27-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Fusion
The new Mug would look pretty cool, except for the bulldog they put in front of the logo. That ruins the whole thing.

And Wild Cherry Pepsi took about ten steps backward. Their new graphics look horrible! I agree with you about the Wild Cherry Pepsi but if you look back at all the previous Wild Cherry Pepsi graphics they all had a "wild" type look to them.

Android
03-27-2003, 05:57 PM
Okay, rant mode "on" .....
I, for one, don't like the new Pepsi logo at all. It doesn't look much like "ice" to me - and the lettering I don't care for either. I had hoped maybe they'd go back to the upright lettering they used from 1987-1991, my favorite "modern" logo that Pepsi had. My (small) hopes had been fueled by the fact that those letters are still used internationally - and I've also seen them the last couple of years on some new graphics on coolers at grocery/convenience stores. Instead they warped the letters a little bit to something that looks just awkward to me. (then, again this is the same company that went predominately red,white and dark blue from 1991-1997, very close to Coke colors, and it took them how long to figure out that was a bad idea? I knew it immediately.)

Of course, I don't actually buy any Pepsi anymore. Some Diet Pepsi and an occasional cherry pepsi is about all I ever buy from Pepsi these days.

drpep
04-01-2003, 09:22 PM
I hate the new look 12 packs. The shards of ice don't look like ice to me and the droplets of ice or water on the ball catch my eye and make me think spray from the floor cleaner splashed on the box. The ice on the ball also makes it look like the 12 pack was dinged up.

teamtitan512
04-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Doesn't matter how much they change the look....Pepsi still tastes awful to me.

Charles Wentworth Kittredge
04-07-2003, 06:50 PM
I find Pepsi's packaging and product marketing boorish and tacky. It strikes me that they are marketing to the football bufoon demographic.

XLS_03
04-13-2003, 11:05 PM
I seen the new diet Pepsi Twist graphics on the 24oz. 6 packs and 12 pack cans.... says New Taste on it as well.

fusion
04-14-2003, 12:21 AM
Diet Coke with Lemon also just got a facelift and a refomulation. I haven't tried it yet, but it has to taste better than the previous incarnation!

karks88
04-14-2003, 09:10 AM
It's funny, I had a conversation with a Coke guy a few weeks ago (it's in a previous post somewhere around here) and it was about the demise of Citra. He points to the Diet Coke with Lemon and said he wished they would keep Citra and get rid of that crap. He said all it does is sit there and collect dust. I guess because it has the Coke name they'll just leave it out there, no matter how lame it is.

USF SPAMMER 1
07-04-2005, 11:29 PM
This changes EVERYTHING.