PDA

View Full Version : Another Coke bottler picks up Sundrop

sundrop
05-12-2004, 10:01 AM
http://www.dpsu.com/nr_sundrop_may0604.html

Coke USA should just buy Sundrop from DR. Pepper. :confused: I think it would compete better with Mountain Dew than Mello Yello. Sundrop could be so much bigger if it were launched nationally.

Any thoughts???

chrisok
05-12-2004, 02:39 PM
We've actually had Sundrop in Oklahoma for about 6 months now. Looks like it has done well enough that Great Plains may keep it around permanently.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-12-2004, 05:51 PM
i think they made the right choice, forgoing mello yello for sundrop. i'm a ko guy, but dpsu has some great brands.

Cheer-wined
05-12-2004, 08:52 PM
we've got some 3rd/4th tier bottlers whose business is built around sundrop ... if the brand went to coke, that would hurt 'em. not something i want to see happen.

but for new territories i think it's a good idea to get the strongest bottler/distributor they can find. IMHO Sundrop is a better tasting product than Dew or MY, so it's great to see it growing.

SamC
05-13-2004, 08:28 AM
The government will never let KO buy any soft drink brand. Anti-trust.

If DPSU was smart it would try to get all its brands in one bottler per territory. Not Dr P in a Pepsi bottler, Sundrop in a Coke hands, and RC in a weak third tier. Everything in one bottler.

Psycho Hillbilly
05-13-2004, 03:13 PM
I agree that Sundrop is prime for expansion; it's a great product, both the regular and Cherry Lemon variety. Plus there is a caffeine free version, giving it a point of difference with MD.

What I really don't get is why it isn't being carried by all of DPSUBG, which is partially owned by Cadbury Schweppes. You'd think that at the very least you could find it in Dallas, Houston, LA and anywhere else DPSUBG is active.

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-13-2004, 06:21 PM
SamC - KO bought Barq's around 1995. No Anti-Trust there...

fusion
05-13-2004, 09:09 PM
They ran into trouble when they attempted to buy Dr Pepper in 91. That brand was too big for them to swallow up without drastically affecting market shares.

I don't see Sundrop posing the same problem.

golee1
05-14-2004, 04:21 AM
Here Central Coke carried SunDrop years ago (around 1990 I think), then Pepsi had it (since DP has Mountain Dew); but they were never able to do much with it, I
m not sure if they even carry it anymore.

teamtitan512
05-14-2004, 08:28 PM
The last time I was in VA (Nov '03), I'm pretty sure I saw it at Food Lion in Woodstock, along with Mr. Green, NuGrape, and some of the other wacky stuff Pepsi Shenandoah has.

They have territory in Loudoun County, and they've been pumping Cheerwine in there bigtime. It's everywhere now, as well as Diet. No Sun Drop there, so that might be an indicator of the rest of their territory. I can say that for as recent as 2 weeks ago.

Are you sure about Sun Drop being dropped in 1990? I seem to remember around 1993 that someone here had Sun Drop for a while, and I was happy about that since I loved getting it when I lived in NC in the late 80's. It disappeared almost instantly after that, but there was a big to-do about unveiling it here in western MD. I'm not sure whether Coke released it or not, or it was 3rd tier then, I don't know. I do remember Central used to be far more interesting in the early 1990's when here we had A&W and Sunkist until 1994. It might have been Central, it might have been 3rd tier at the time, which might have been produced here. If it came from RC Winchester our 3rd tier products back then, I cna guarantee we didn't get Sun Drop from them. RC-W won't bottle anything to jeopardize their Mtn Dew rights. The Squirt we have here comes from ABC. Sun Drop and dnL in the heartland territory of RC-W comes from CPG-Pepsi or from IBC in Charlotte. However, you can find RC-W dnL here, most of the time. Also, 1994 was when the Cumberland facility stopped all Coke production, and products were hauled in from Hagerstown.

drpep
05-16-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by teamtitan512:
[QB] The last time I was in VA (Nov '03), I'm pretty sure I saw it at Food Lion in Woodstock, along with Mr. Green, NuGrape, and some of the other wacky stuff Pepsi Shenandoah has.

/QB]Hey, Woodstock,VA. The 7-11 is my gas stop and then I hit the Food Lion. I'll be there Tuesday. I will check on Sundrop.

drpep
05-23-2004, 06:47 PM
No Sundrop or Mr Green in the Woodstock, VA Food Lion.

teamtitan512
05-23-2004, 08:15 PM
I figured Mr. Green would be gone, but I'm a little surprised on Sun Drop.

I know that ABC over in WV and in western PA has it regularly, if you're really looking for it.