PDA

View Full Version : What happened to "New Coke"?

Softdrinker
11-14-2005, 03:34 PM
At least thats what I think it was called.

Rememeber back in the mid 80's when it came out that Coke was going to do away with the original flavor and change it to a lighter version? There was such a negative reaction that they kept the old recipe...calling it Classic Coke...while naming the new stuff New Coke.(or something like that)

Anyway, did New Coke just fade away due to low sales...or what? I never see it anywhere.

Also, maybe I'm a devious thinker, but does anyone else that rememebers that fiasco remember thinking, as I did, that the whole thing was planned and orchestrated by Coca Cola just to stir up controversy and spur sales?

I didnt think that at 1st but afterwords I started thinking..."Gee, I wonder if Coca Cola actually...." :D

Softdrinker

[ 11-14-2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Softdrinker ]

wonkapete
11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
It mostly fizzled out shortly after Coke Classic came out.. but after a couple yrs, New Coke came back as Coke II.

Far as I know, it also fizzled out about the mid-90s.

jmyjunk
11-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Wonkapete, that's right, but IIRC,
new coke was rebranded as Coke II in certain markets with out a break.

I wish I could remember the taste of it. It would certainly be nice to try again.

Mr Zabe
11-14-2005, 06:05 PM
I recall seeing the last of CokeII sometime around 2001 there abouts.

Coke II IMO tasted like coke but with a similar Pepsi sweetness. IMO Coke II was pretty close in over all flavor to Pepsi. I was so happy when Coke Classic was available in the stores.

I think Coke could not have been that stupid to think they could change the grand daddy,mother load of all soft drinks and not have a massive revolt. Either the the Coke suits were smoking crack or they truly thought their loyal customrs were that forgetful :(

fusion
11-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Coke II existed in the Chicago area until CCE acquired Herbco. From what I remember, it was generally prepriced at 99ยข a 2 liter.

Apparently it is still around in Micronesia.

http://www.kospn.com/prod.asp