PDA

View Full Version : Moxie. Does it taste terrible?

Travel'n Jones
01-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Howdy

I found some bottles of Moxie at a local BevMo. Upon tasting I found it to be terrible. Is this normal? Could my bottle have been bad, old, tampered, etc?

I can't even identify the general flavor of the stuff. It seemed to be vaguely like black licorice but then i was hit with a strong medicine after taste. I am not joking when i say i have had liquid antibotics that have tasted better.

What gives? This almost destroyed my faith in quality soda. I was going to switch entirely to Safeway generic cragmont soda. Luckily i had a bottle of Stewarts grape on hand to save me.

drpep
01-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Did it taste like a mixture of prune juice,motor oil and store brand cough syrup? If so you had a normal bottle or can.

Ron Swedelson
01-29-2003, 12:57 AM
Yeah, Original Moxie is somethig to get used to. But its a great brand.

OH MOOOOXXXXIIIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XLS_03
01-29-2003, 02:56 AM
They sell that here too.

But anyways Moxie is a very old soda, it was a big seller before Coke and Pepsi came out believe it or not. That's how old soft drinks used to taste....very strong.

Shatter
01-29-2003, 02:59 AM
Moxie never got rid of that medicinal flavor from back in the late 1800s, when soft drinks used to be medicine you could only get at a pharmacy. All the other drinks dropped the medicine flavor and ingredients to be more mainstream, but Moxie never did. Oh well.

Android
01-29-2003, 03:25 AM
I'd heard that original Moxie didn't taste very good so I passed when I had an opportunity. I did try the cherry cola variety though, which was OK.

andy

dlhancock
01-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Well it tastes somewhat like the flavor one would get licking a wooden utility pole or railway cross tie...in fact I think it IS based on creosote in some way...

BottleBoss
01-29-2003, 08:58 PM
I think that post right befor mine sums up the flavor of Moxie perfectly! Hey, if you think it tastes bad, you got a good bottle of it. I will liken the flavor of Moxie to licking the inside of a stove pipe! The Cherry isn't bad though.