PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Dew Monsoon

SamC
01-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Reported in Business Week to be this summer's Mountain Dew line extension. Supposed to be an "orange flavored Mountain Dew", which is what I thought regular Mountain Dew was in the first place.

SURGE
01-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Hey Pepsi why don't you milk a few more dollars out of Dew? Clothing, Energy Drink, Code Red, Diet, Caffine Free, Ect. This has gotten out of hand. And the orginal is the only drinkable one of them all.

Shatter
01-29-2003, 11:45 PM
I tried something like that a year or two ago, oddly enough. I stopped at some little grocery store to pick up some junk, and I bought some Mr. Fizz sodas, specifically Sun Mist. It was a unique rip-off of Mountain Dew with a strong orange flavor, not all that bad, just needed more carbonation. I stopped at the store a few months ago and they had dumped Sun Mist for a pure Mountain Dew style drink called Mountain Fizz. When I was leaving the store, a buggy full of assorted cans (probably from damaged 12-packs) was by the exit, with a sign on it saying "Take one on us!" I tried the Mountain Fizz. It didn't have that acid burn flavor of Mountain Dew. Pretty nice.

assclown
02-04-2003, 02:33 PM
So what unnatural not derived from nature colour is this Dew gonna be? I'll bet the Papsi chemists are having a field day with the Pantone wheel...

karks88
02-04-2003, 03:12 PM
I think these companies have officially run out of original ideas, so brand extension is the only way to go. Throw some watered down crap into a bottle, give it a crazy color and put a Mountain Dew logo on it. I will say that at least dnL is somewhat original and kinda tasty...

Shatter
02-05-2003, 01:09 AM
dnL is original? What? It's another Mountain Dew rip-off! It's a weak lime/citrus drink with very little flavor. It's just another knock-off just like DP's other citrus drinks Kick and Sundrop. My opinion, anyway.

datruth
02-05-2003, 01:40 AM
Sales have been very good, public must like it.

Sales also are diff. depending who is selling.

SURGE
02-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Well I can't comment on sales numbers but I must say i think dnL is choice stuff. I wish people would not call anything citrus a Dew knock off. It doesnt matter who comes first. look at Coke and Pepsi.

fusion
02-09-2003, 07:46 PM
I agree. dnL is nothing like Dew, Surge, Mello Yello or any of those other orange juice/citrus drinks.

XLS_03
02-11-2003, 04:09 PM
believe it or not dnL is not suposed to be a "Dew" knock off, its supposed to be a medley of citrus flavors and be the opposite of everything regular 7-up is.

I mean Citra was a citrus drink but nobody ever compared it as a "Dew" knock off.
I know Coke now compares Mello Yello with Mountain Dew. For awhile there they were comparing Surge and Mountain Dew.

Surge has been dissapearing in a lot of places for some time... and the states that do still carry it have brought it to the dept. stores or dollar stores and give it a regular price of $1 for a 2 liter bottle now. There might be some small supermarkets that buy it in wholesale and re sell it in there stores though.

Also with-in the past 6 months or so each state is dropping Citra one by one. This stuff is going faster than any low selling Coca-Cola product i've seen yet!
Does Coke ever just cancel a product all at once?

[ 02-11-2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: XLS_03 ]

karks88
02-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Wow, I hope Citra's not leaving us! I'd say about half of the grocery stores in my area are carrying 12 packs. The local ShurFine store often does not include Citra when they have Coke 12 packs on sale. So, I have to pay like $4 when I want it.

XLS_03
02-11-2003, 05:06 PM
Your in PA, I thought that was one of the states that was first to drop Citra? From what I heard Philly does not have it.

The 12 packs will be there awhile, they have a longer shelf life than plastic bottles, some places dont even put dates on the cans or bottles so they could be there like 2 years and you wouldnt know.

I even heard that some places bring there low selling products in and re date them so they don't have to produce as much.

As far as canceling a product, Coca-Cola in Atlanta says it's up to the local bottler, but I think it's more than that.

But who knows whats true, I know some cities get in trouble for having outdated products for sale though.

the saint
02-11-2003, 05:29 PM
well not to incriminate myself, but, I personally have a vending machine at my wifes work and in the Lemon Lime hole her boss likes mist ( why I do not know) so about 2 weeks ago the light was on so I went to the local Wally world and bought a 12 pack of it. Went back to fill the machine and the date on the box was July something or another glued from factory opened it up and the date on the cans were march 31. Pissed me off because I actually dug into the shelf to get past the march dates to get to a july date. so I came to the conclusion that yes I believe they do repackage slower movers at Pepsi.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-12-2003, 01:08 AM
i've repacked expired beer before at my work. then again, it was milwaukee's best light and frankly, if you complain about that, bollocks to you.

karks88
02-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Philadelphia is a different territory serviced by their own bottler. My area is CCE Mid-Atlantic, and for some unbelievable reason they are continuing to make at least one beverage that I enjoy smile.gif

fusion
02-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Actually, you live in the Eastern Great Lakes Division. When CCE combined the old Capitol and Commonwealth Divisions (that's the current Mid-Atlantic division) after the purchase of Herb Coca-Cola, they took the old Herb Pennsylvania territory, the parts of Capitol CCE that were in Pennsylvania, plus the existing territories in the greater Pittsburgh area and made the EGL division. But.. The central PA sales centers still get their soda from Mid-Atlantic production facilities, Richmond, Alexandria, Silver Spring, Baltimore. Northeastern PA gets their stuff from NY/NE.. Elmsford, Hartford, Maspeth. Some stuff trickles in from Twinsburg or Needham Heights as well. Not sure about Pittsburgh since I haven't been up there in about 10 years.

That all being said, Baltimore is still making Citra in cans. Alexandria killed Citra 2 liter a long time ago. We actually had a pallet of Citra 12 packs in our warehouse a few weeks ago, but it seems to have either moved or disappeared. The date was the end of March. When Philadelphia Coke got rid of Citra, they shipped all their concentrate over to their can facility to run it out in cans, since the date is 9 months as opposed to 3 months for 2 liters.

SURGE
02-14-2003, 09:23 PM
When we moved to fridge packs a few months back Citra got droped. Seems to have been dropped in 20oz and 2L also. Too bad! I actually liked that stuff.

SplitLevelP
02-14-2003, 11:29 PM
citra got pulled last month i think at last check only 1 store had it left in cans

Terry K
02-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by SplitLevelP:
citra got pulled last month i think at last check only 1 store had it left in cansCitra is alive and well in Denver. Saw it in 12 packs at various Ft. Collins Grocers.

XLS_03
02-23-2003, 10:41 PM
When is this new mountain dew orang flavor supposed to be introduced? I can't find any information on it.

fusion
02-25-2003, 07:23 PM
It's actually going to be called "LiveWire" and will only be available Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Coke, Pepsi Launch New Drinks (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030225/ap_on_bi_ge/sprite_mountain_dew_1)

XLS_03
02-26-2003, 06:02 AM
Montain Dew LiveWire, I guess it's a promotional thing and wont be available too long. Or is it Pepsi's way of testing this new product?

Terry K
02-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by XLS_03:
Montain Dew LiveWire, I guess it's a promotional thing and wont be available too long. Or is it Pepsi's way of testing this new product?That's my guess. Everything we've heard from Pepsi indicates this to be the case.

teamtitan512
04-09-2003, 06:49 PM
Citra is dead here now, with the introduction of the Fridge Pack. The Pittsburgh area Coke bottler (unsure of what it is) controls Dr. Pepper, still makes Citra (along w/Mello Yello - was Surge), and does not use Fridge Packs - yet.

fusion
04-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Pittsburgh is CCE, and it's the headquarters of the Eastern Great Lakes division. It consists of CCE's Pennsylvania territory, plus parts of Eastern Ohio and Western New York. I know they produce a good bit of product in Twinsburg Ohio for this division, and some stuff is shipped up from the Mid-Atlantic division, and down from the New York division, but mainly for the Eastern PA markets. Not sure about the western part, since I haven't been up there in quite a few years. I do know that there is a dedicated Dasani facility somewhere in the greater Pittsburgh area.

From what I have heard, this division will have fridge packs by July.

Western Maryland is Coke Central, and they buy their cans from a co-op, Mid-Atlantic Canners.

If you travel over to Morgantown, that's Coke Consolidated territory.

[ 04-09-2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

SamC
04-09-2003, 09:37 PM
The predecessor to CCE in Pittsburgh was called "Cameron Coca-Cola" and they were the only bottler that I ever found that really pushed the bottler name. Like they would buy ads on the dasher boards at the Pens games that said "Cameron Coca-Cola", with "Cameron" in the same script as the word "Classic" on cans of that era. I guess that this belonged to somebody named Cameron?

Morgantown, WV is indeed CCBCC territory, as is most all of WV except for its two "panhandles". However the two counties just below Morgantown, with the towns of Fairmont and Grafton in them, are not. They buy a lot of product from Mid-Atlantic. This causes supermarkets in throughout the state to put "not valid in Marion or Taylor counties" in all the ads. There are big billboards just on the Marion county line that read "Coca-Cola welcomes you to Fairmont" like its a different state or something.

teamtitan512
04-10-2003, 07:27 PM
LOL....I find it so odd that Dasani's plant is in Pittsburgh....Dasani wasn't sold around Pittsburgh until around 2001....before that Coke's water was Evian....still was in old Herbco territories until the CCE buyout.

fusion
04-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Yes, it was owned by the Cameron family before selling out to CCE.

Cameron Coca-Cola owner dies (http://www.pfma.org/media/advisor/NOV99/other/coke.html)

The Dasani facility is actually in Washington. I get the feeling that it's a former Cameron facility that CCE converted to a Dasani production center. The code is II, but I have no idea what it means.