PDA

View Full Version : My West Jefferson trip

01GTB
11-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Well, it was a trip to Virginia that detoured to West Jefferson ;) I had to take my mother up to Halifax county Virginia to stay with my grandmother. I stayed up that way for 5 days, went up to Harpers Ferry and did some cycling on the C&O Towpath and basically had a real vacation for the first time in a long time.

I knew I was going to head over and get some WJDP on my way back, but I almost didn't make it :eek: I left Halifax county yesterday at about 12:15pm and headed out 40 west. I did not realize exactly how winding and mountainess it was. The road atlas really doesn't show that aspect of it. From there I got on 58, then 221 south. It seems for every 5 miles of driving you are only making 1 mile of forward progress. To make a long story short, I did not arrive in Jefferson until 4:30...closing time redface.gif I still had not made it to WJ, had not found NC163, and most importantly, the warehouse. I found 163 and blew right by the warehouse and turned around. As I was driving in there, knowing they were closed, I didn't know if I should stick around town and get a motel room, try to find some in stores or just head back. The rental SUV was due back at 9PM on Friday in Daytona Beach. If I got up at 9am and got my drinks, I would be doing well to make it back in time to drop off the rental.

It was possible I might have to pay $50-80 for a motel and another $50+ to keep the rental another day. None of that was necessary smile.gif I saw a couple people leaving and they said just to walk into the warehouse and someone would get what I needed. No one b*tched about me being there after they were technically closed, they were very friendly and got everything I wanted without groaning about it. That is a class act up there. Much different than the attitude you typically run across here in Florida.

So here is my haul :D

http://home.comcast.net/~01gtb/west_jefferson.jpg

Basically

BATBL18
11-18-2005, 08:36 PM
That's a lot of DP! :eek:

Mr Zabe
11-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Awesome!!!!!!
Did you pop a few open on the ride back home?
(Dumb question, I bet you had an ice cooler keeping a few nice and cold.)

Nice picture. smile.gif

Zabe

Cheer-wined
11-18-2005, 11:04 PM
And you didn't even honk when you drove by ... :D

01GTB
11-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Cheer-wined:
And you didn't even honk when you drove by ... :D Next time I'll remember to do that smile.gif

Mr Zabe, would you believe I made it all the way home without drinking one? :eek: It's true. I didn't even get them into the refrig until this afternoon. But I have since enjoyed some the WJ goodness :D

[ 11-18-2005, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

iluvsurge220
11-19-2005, 03:30 AM
May I ask how much it cost to make those purchases? I am just wondering because I would love to go there sometime and I would like to know about how much I would need to take with me.

01GTB
11-19-2005, 04:17 AM
It's right at $15.50 per case with tax. I spent just under $300 for 19 cases.

the saint
11-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by BATBL18:
That's a lot of DP! :eek: If he is anything like myself that DP will be gone in no time. I seen the pic and thought "man that's alot of Sundrop"

Mr Zabe
11-19-2005, 01:35 PM
O1GTB
You are a much stronger man than me. I would have never been able to keep my hands off the good stuff. smile.gif
Zabe

01GTB
11-19-2005, 01:55 PM
The Sundrop is for a couple of friends. I may snag a bottle or two from them. The RC and the 7UP were only purchased because I saw them sitting there and said...what the heck :D The Dr Pepper is what I went for! And the saint is right...it doesn't look like enough to last very long. Honestly, I will probably drink a bottle a day, maybe two sometimes. But I bought half of it for my Dad. He is an old school DP drinker dating back to the 1940's. I swear, he puts away a 2-liter a day. His half, and probably some of mine will be gone by mid-January :D

On top of that, you know people are going to find out about it. You can't hide it well enough. Friends will surely claim a case or better.

Android
11-19-2005, 06:46 PM
If that had been me, I would have had mostly RC with one or two Dr Pepper and Diet Dr Pepper thrown in.

I wish I had known about their warehouse sales, because I went through W. Jefferson on a long roat trip last year, but just contented myself with what I bought at C-stores.

andy

drpep
11-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Someday, although I am not a fan of cane sugar Dr Pepper I would like a couple of the boxes. I had planned to go there this week but with darkness coming before 5:00 Mt Airy had to do for my RC longneck fix. Noticed two stores that carried WJ longnecks for the 4 years I've been stopping by have quit carying them. Was lucky to find the RC 100 year bottle.

BottleBoss
11-20-2005, 08:48 PM
The cane sugar Dr. Pepper can be ordered for a very resonable price from Old Docs Soda Shop. You really did load up on the stuff from WJ though. I live in Harpers Ferry. How long did it take you to get to W.J. from Harpers Ferry?

BottleBoss
11-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Also, The boxes look cool. The old ones were plain cardboard.

01GTB
11-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Can't answer your question about how long it would take to get from WJ to Harpers Ferry. I went from Halifax county, Va to HF, then came back there. I left from there to go to West Jefferson. It would take you a while though. I would guess you would take I-81 to 221 and head right in. I am not sure I will go 221 next time though. Leaving, going 163 to 16 to 421 and to I-77 was a much easier drive.

As for buying Dublin DP from Old Doc's, that's what I had been doing. Buying one case at a time, usually around the holidays. I think they have gone up a little bit, to 16 bucks or so a case, and you have to pay 5 dollars for packaging. But you get brutalized on shipping because of the weight. I think I paid $37 for a case of 8 oz. Dublin Dr Peppers delivered the last time. Great for the novelty of it, but hard to afford them for regular consumption. What ends up happening is we drink up 18 bottles of it and leave 1/4 of them because we know that's it. Then those 6 you can barely enjoy because you know you are about to run out :D

Beverages direct out of Illinois will sell you the West Jefferson 12 oz bottles for $30 a case, and I think it is a little under 10 bucks to ship it. Roughly $3 more than Dublin DP. For anyone wanting to check the stuff out before making a pretty long haul, that would be a good option.

BTW, Harpers Ferry is the coolest place.

MISTICman
11-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey Cheer-wined...
I know we've had discussions on Big Red, but I forgot where they were. I forgot if WJ has Big Red or not...can you please tell me?

Thanks

wonkapete
11-21-2005, 12:20 PM
I need a couple cases of the 100th anniversary RC bottles. Anyone up that way that can ship me two cases? I'll return with many cases of Dr. Wham or anything you may want. Or, will just pay you directly. Anyone?

Android
11-21-2005, 09:24 PM
I've seen pictures of those RC 100th anniversary bottles. I had the same reaction that I've learned that other people have had - I was not impressed - blue and white? Why not use the old classic yellow and red late 30's RC design instead?

-Andy

fusion
11-21-2005, 09:26 PM
The Big Red I saw in the tri-cities area in eastern TN along side the WJ longnecks was from All-American. It stuck out like a sore thumb, because AA uses plastic caps on their longnecks.

Cheer-wined
11-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by MISTICman:
Hey Cheer-wined...
I know we've had discussions on Big Red, but I forgot where they were. I forgot if WJ has Big Red or not...can you please tell me?

Thanks The Sundrop bottler in Concord makes it in 20oz. They also distribute Big Red in longnecks (from All-American) and single cans (from Independant) in c-stores.

01GTB
11-23-2005, 07:27 PM
So far I have drank about 10 DP's, and one each of every thing else. I am not sure I had ever had a SunDrop before, but it really isn't my thing. Good thing for the people I bought it for :D The 7Up was pretty good, never drank them that much though. But the RC...I wish I had bought more of that. I haven't had one in years, and it's pretty tasty smile.gif

Dr. Galaga
11-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Try a few bottles of Sun-Drop - for me it was an aquired taste. The first few bottles I didn't care for that much. After about the 3rd or 4th bottle it was pretty good - but Mt. Dew is better!