PDA

View Full Version : Lemon Lime Soda Pop

Mr Zabe
11-20-2005, 03:06 PM
I remember as a kid that my Grand Parents only drank lemon lime soda pop. This was back in the early 1970's. The return bottles (8pk) were green. I do not think it was 7up. I do not recall if it was a coke or pepsi product. This is driving me nuts. It was a popular brand. They drank about 2 8pk a week. I remember it tasted good and had good carbonation.

Maybe it was 7up????

By the way,I brought some fresh 7up yesterday. As of today, 7up now replaces Sprite on my top 5 soda pop favorites. Why? 7up has for a lack of a better term "stiffer" lemon lime taste. It's sweet and flavorful with out going over the edge. I found it satisfying and refreshing.

[ 11-20-2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

jmyjunk
11-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Was it Team, which IIRC was made by pepsi?

tallflip
11-20-2005, 04:10 PM
I remember TEEM. It was bottled by Pepsi here in California. I was still able to buy that in Tijuana, Mexico until about 8 years ago. I miss that stuff.

jmyjunk
11-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Was TEEM the correct spelling? It pre dates slice, which I think came around 86 or 87. Though I will have to say, 7 up is a superior product. though I do not think the lemon/lime taste is all that strong. Sprite in the UK has a good lemon after taste.
The US lacks a good nation wide lemon drink. Both Coke and Pepsi have them overseas. Lift in Australia comes to mind.
A stong, tangy drink.
The closest here is the italian sodas Whole Foods sell.
Ah well.

pepsidew
11-20-2005, 05:45 PM
i agree with you zabe - 7up is "stiffer" - thats cause sprite tastes like crap (in my opinion) 7up is still the best lemon lime, even better then sierra mist

Mr Zabe
11-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Well said. smile.gif

pitch_spice
11-20-2005, 06:51 PM
hmmm... could it be bubble up? I remember seeing my teachers drinking that all the time back in my earlier years.

ramonazo
11-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Sprite is the best here!!!!

BottleBoss
11-20-2005, 08:36 PM
The mexican sprite is very good. Much better than the USA version.

Mr Zabe
11-20-2005, 10:01 PM
I searched the cyber high way and learned that in the 1970's in the Chicago market, Sprite and 7up were the two leading lemon lime soft drinks.

Sprite was rolled out in 1961 there abouts so now I'm pretty sure my Grand Parents brought the cheapest of the two,Sprite and 7up.

All I cared about was chugging down my own ice cold bottle when I use to visit them. LOL

SamC
11-21-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by jmyjunk:
Was TEEM the correct spelling? It pre dates slice, which I think came around 86 or 87. Yes, it was TEEM. It came out about 63 or so.

IIRC, you mostly saw it in places where the local Pepsi bottler didn't have 7UP or some private L-L. Very hit and miss.

I cannot recall seeing it since the early 80s.

Apparently its still a Pepsi trademark item and still sold in Arab and African countries, which is odd since Pepsi owns 7UP outside the USA.

jmyjunk
11-21-2005, 01:20 PM
SamC,

I grew up in St Louis, so Pepsi did not make 7up.
(home of 7up)
I remember seeing TEEM in fountains, with the one pleace, Mr.Donut, which still sticks out in my mind!

fusion
11-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Pepsi had the Suburban brand in Baltimore (they may still produce it, I'm not sure). I remember ginger ale and some fruity flavors.. they probably had a l-l as well.

sirslash
12-12-2005, 05:41 AM
could it have been lemon lime slice?

any way as far as 7up goes it may not taste the same since the formula changed in the mid 90s to taste more like sprite

i think there may have been a lemon lime sunkist... but 70s is before my time

[ 12-12-2005, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: sirslash ]

Android
12-12-2005, 09:42 AM
Hey Mr Zabe - I missed this thread when it first came up. I lived in your general area (Rockford) when I was a little kid, and I remember Bubble-Up being around at the time (mid 70's). Could this be what you are vaguely remembering?

(it couldn't have been Lemon Lime Slice, though, that didn't come out til the mid 80's, and, by the way, when it did come out, it originally was a 10%-real-juice-added formulation)

-Andy

Mr Zabe
12-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Andy,
It very well could have been Bubble-UP.
I do remember that the original slice had some fruit juice in it. I did not recall that it had 10% fruit juice. That's why I was digging the orange and lemon lime flavors. Too bad Pepsi did not have the nerve to improve/maintain this brand.

Tropicana soda pop just does not make me happy. smile.gif

Android
12-12-2005, 07:13 PM
This brought back a memory - the bank my Dad worked at had a bottle pop machine (20 or 25 cents for 16oz bottles) in their break room. And one time when I was sick (used to get bronchitis every time I got a cold back then) my Dad got the contents of the bottle cap bin from the machine for me to play with. This picture was taken. I had my Mom scan it and send it to me, hoping I could figure out what sodas were IN that machine (I do remember that it was a Nehi machine, and I definately remember drinking Dad's Root Beer out of it) because I think Bubble Up was one of them. But this old print from a 110 camera just is too fuzzy to make anything out.

-Andy

http://members.aol.com/glutamodo/pics/197xBottlecaps1.jpg

Mr Zabe
12-12-2005, 07:18 PM
Andy,
Outstanding photo and memories shared. smile.gif
Do you remember that most of the caps had a thin piece of cork inside them? Then they used thin pieces of plastic that were used at times for game pieces. What memories.

[ 12-12-2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

Android
12-12-2005, 08:22 PM
I think cork was gone by the mid/late 70's when this pic was taken. I do recall a Coke promotion where you would spell out a slogan or something to win a T-shirt. Each cap had one letter under it, but I can't remember if the letter was printed on the plastic insert, or if you just had to peel the insert out and the letter was printed on the inside of the bottle cap itself. We did this promotion (mostly via my mom's father, who drank Coke in bottles) and we went to some store or another and turned it in, and I got a shirt. I know Coke's slogan back when was "Coke Adds Life" and I think the shirt had a derivative slogan on it. It was more than 3 words though. Something kind of lame like "Coke Adds Life (or was it 'Spice') To Everthing Nice"

-Andy

ramonazo
12-13-2005, 12:55 AM
Thanks for sharing your picture with us, Andy!

Your photo gave me a flashback of my childhood. I remember when I used to collect caps, I had in my collection around 30 or 40 caps, I don't remember, but what I did with my caps is that I grabbed the hammer of my dad's tool box and I smashed the caps in order to plain it and in that way looked like a coin... In fact, my parents always remind me this story: When my brother played soccer in a camp alone, my parents asked him: why are you playing soccer alone?

Oh, your brother is collecting caps from the grass... :D

In fact I still collecting caps (now plastic caps) from the floor, but now for promotion purposes, in order to register the codes under the caps for downloading music in www.coca-cola.com.mx (http://www.coca-cola.com.mx) :D

[ 12-12-2005, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

BottleBoss
12-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Is Bubble Up from real soda any good? The last time I had some it tasted stale and had dumb paper labels on the bottle.

Android
12-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Don't know. Like anything, it depends on how old the product is. Paper labels, that's not unexpected - they are not a high volume bottler and getting ACL bottles I'm sure would make the product a lot more expensive. I got some Dad's Root Beer from them, didn't mind the paper labels they used, and they tasted excellent.

andy