PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Hangover Drinks in the US

hungover
11-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Hello all,

I'm researching into the anti-hangover drinks market and was interested to know if anyone had any experience or knew of any effective products available in the US or Europe...

I've already come accross resurrect (www.resurrectme.com) and wonder if anyone has tried it? I've also found Hango and Urban Detox in America. I understand that an anti-hangover Thai product 'Hang' is on its way to the UK soon and that there are a few Korean products out there including Condition-F.

From what I've read from various postings i see that there are a lot of beverage industry experts on Bevnet and welcome any feedback or comments.

Thanks for you time,

Olly

ramonazo
11-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Eat chilaquiles buddy... good for hangover...

http://foodmusings.typepad.com/food_musings/images/chilaquiles.jpg

[ 11-22-2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Ramón el Coca-Colero ]

Mr Zabe
11-22-2005, 09:09 PM
When I used to drink way back when, I used to drink some water through out my drinking day/night. For sure during my 24 hour party days, I would take an hour off and just drink water. Before I would pass out I would drink at least a large glass of water.

When I would wake up some 3 to 4 hours later I would drink more water then either take some aspirin or start drinking again.

(Note,I usually stayed drunk but not completely wasted. Pacing your drinks works wonders. LOL)

hungover
11-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Those chilaquiles look good! Thanks for your feedback, however I'm more interest in mineral, vitamin and herbal supplements that can be taken before and during drinking to reduce or eliminate a hangover. I'm looking to produce a commercial drink over here in the UK...

fusion
11-23-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't think I would want to be involved in a product that indirectly encourages people to consume more alcohol, but that's just me.

hungover
11-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Interesting point fusion. The angle I take is that people will drink regardless of the dangers, and any product that reduces the negative impacts of alcohol on the body is a plus. In fact, surveys have shown that individuals who use anti-hangover cures become more educated about alcohol metabolism and as a result tend to consume alcohol more responsibly.

ramonazo
11-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by fusion:
I don't think I would want to be involved in a product that indirectly encourages people to consume more alcohol, but that's just me. I'm agree with you... well I don't drink alcohol and as a result I've never had a hangover, but I think that alcohol consumers have to be more responsable in their alcohol consumption, maybe a product can cure the physical hangover, but not the moral one.

[ 11-23-2005, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

Mr Zabe
11-23-2005, 05:17 PM
A ton of money gets spent on hang over cures.

The best thing is to stay hydrated even when you are drinking. 2 to 1 ratio.....two hard drinks then one glass of water.

Morning after, if your stomach can take it, water, vitamin C (orange juice works wonders) asprin and more water and a nice long nap.

Hang overs are a result of dehydration from the booze. Paying lots of money for hydration is silly. In the height of my party days. I always managed to take hydration breaks. I don't remember getting any major hangovers. Well, come to think of it from 1979 to 1983 I don't remember much of anything. :D

[ 11-23-2005, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

hungover
11-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Hangovers are caused by a number of factors. The main contributors are acetaldehyde and dehydration caused by the alchol and cogeners (byproducts of the fermentation process). Mr Zabe is right in the fact that drinking lots of water whilst drinks will help keep you hydrated, but it is also possible to combat the acetaldehyde and cogeners with an anti-hangover product (be it tablet or drink), to fight general dehydration.

To be given an option of having a couple of vodka & coke's and a water, or a couple of anti-hangover drinks and vodka would be great.

I trying to research into hangover preventions rather than cures, and whilst it's interesting to hear your personal 'cures' or ethical opinions, I really want to hear from those who have sampled or heard about anti-hangover drinks such as 'Hango', 'Urban Detox' or 'Resurrect'. Thank you for your time.

Olly

fusion
11-23-2005, 10:59 PM
I've never heard of any of them, personally. I do see those "Chaser" pills around, and I remember commercials for them as well.

I have also lost two relatives to drunk drivers, so I am obviously biased against encouraging drinking.

Mr Zabe
11-24-2005, 12:41 AM
By now, most of you know I like to keep things light. I have been sober for just about 20 years.
I did things in my past that I am ashamed to even talk about. I encourage everyone to either drink responsibly or do not drink.

IMO drinking and drugging not only hurts yourself but others who care about you.

I agree with Fusion, drinking and driving is like playing Russian roulette with a loaded gun.

[ 11-23-2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

sodasommelier
11-26-2005, 01:21 PM
There's a little bottle drink in France called "Security" for hangover cure...

hungover
12-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Interesting to hear Sommelier, thanks for the information - I'll have to look into it.

I too agree that drinking and driving is dangerous and any product I develop will be purely to reduce morning after discomfort and help the body recover. There are drinks out there that sober you up and increase alcohol metabolism, which could encourage people to drink drive, and I intend to stay well away from them.

All the best

SGMCC
12-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Hello Hungover,
I think you may be on to a good idea if you can actually find a prodcut that works. Its great to say things about drinking responsibly, "balance it with lots of water, eat a big meal first. . .blah blah," but we are human and sometimes we make mistakes. We then make cures to help corrct those mistakes. It is a fact that many people make those mistakes when drinking alcohol and regret them the next day. "Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda" does not solve the problem for those people who are sick and are expected to perform on that next day.
At the Anuga in Cologne this year, I saw an interesting concept from an Eastern European country (Cannot remember where)called "Alcohol Killer" I have no idea if it works, but it is supposed to lower blood alcohol levels. I stayed away from the drink because I was concerned about libel issues if a drunk person drinks a can and then gets behind the wheel of an automobile. Point is--this is a new territory of functional drinks which is being explored and for which (I believe) there is a market. I am curious what you find.

SGMCC

hungover
12-06-2005, 09:56 AM
Hi SGMCC,

We're actually looking to develop a drink that you take before and during the consumption of alcohol to prevent hangovers rather than cure them the next morning. I too have heard of products that increase the body's metabolism and lower blood and breath alcohol levels at twice the natural rate. Unfortunately I fear the latter will be used by drunk drivers and those that shouldn't have drunk alcohol in the first place. All we want to do is help people who enjoy drinking but don't enjoy the side effects.

Olly

RunWithDaLilGuy
12-06-2005, 12:04 PM
guys let's not jump on the guy because of what he's researching. i work for a beer distributor and at least once a month get accused of aiding in someone's alcoholism or drunk driving or someone else's problems.

i'm sure you soda guys don't encourage kids to drink 12pks of pop and then get so fat they'll have to use amigo's in the grocery stores by the time they're thirty, but it happens.

fusion
12-07-2005, 06:54 PM
I think it's all in the marketing, personally. I realized my first posts weren't thought out that well. If the guy wants to help alleviate the hangover effect, that's fine as long as it isn't pushed as... "drink more, feel fewer effects."

[ 12-07-2005, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

hungover
12-12-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi RunWithDaLilGuy...To a certain extent whatever business or activity you get involved with you'll always have somebody against you or your product in one way or another. I think the key to dealing with an anti-hangover product is to educate the consumer on the benefits of using your item but also make them understand that there is no cure for drinking too much alcohol.

Alcohol brings a lot of pleasure but some cases it can bring a lot of pain. I agree with you fusion, that the marketing would have to be very carefully thought out. Anyway, before we get carried away with marketing lets see if there's anything around that could be classed as an anti-hangover drink...

I see cheerz have just released an anti-hangover shot www.cheerzhangover.com (http://www.cheerzhangover.com)

Olly

conquertheburn
12-15-2005, 07:05 PM
As a student at the University of Texas, I tend to wake-up at least once a week with a raging hangover. I find green tea to be a great cure for a hangover. Even though I drink a variety of green teas, I find a nice cold Sweet Leaf Tea, Mint & Honey Green Tea to be a great relief in the morning. I recommend keeping a stash in your frig.