PDA

View Full Version : Nehi craze

mickstafa
02-09-2003, 01:39 PM
Why do you believe that people (especially on this board) love Nehi so much? We have it in abundance here in Greenville, SC, and while its ok, I don't really see anything too great about it. Granted I've only had grape, orange and blue.... Now this Blue Nehi, which is pretty rare in parts of America isn't really that great of a drink, in my oppinion. It just kind of tasted like a sugary knock off cream soda. I haven't tried the Peach, although its sold here; I can't imagine it could beat Stewart's peach (not a big peach fan anyways). Do you think the fact that its a rare drink makes it more desirable to bev-posters? Not to shoot down your drink or anything!

shawn2
02-09-2003, 07:28 PM
While I disagree with you on taste-- The peach is killer- BTW--- I think it is because it is a classic beverage. It is hard to call a soda that has been around as long as Nehi a "knock-off" since most non cola sodas on the market today came after Nehi not before it thus it can't be a knock off. Nehi is a piece of classic americana. One of the best selling beverages in the pre-60's and still a classic soda in a classic bottle. I am sure the MASH Radar connection helps a little but it is simply a good tasting soda that has stood the test of time when so many others have come and gone.

datruth
02-09-2003, 09:49 PM
The Long necks with pure cane sugar are a one of a kind.

BTW my Nehi cap collection is up to 26 different caps with a couple more on the way.

XLS_03
02-11-2003, 05:16 PM
When I was in the Carolina's I was going to try a Nehi but never got around to it. I think I seen it in Atlanta too but I cant really remember now, the grape was the one that was mostly available.

FitzgeraldHead
02-11-2003, 07:06 PM
I LOVE the peach nehi, even though I'm not a huge peach fan. It's like biting into a juicy peach. The only flavor of Nehi I'm not a big fan is their gingerale. It wasn't anything special. Get a Nehi Orange in the longnecks... it's incredible. I loved Blue Nehi when I was really young, and after years passed, I couldn't find it anymore. I had it again and loved it... but it's still really hard to find. Down in Temple, TX, they have Wild Red Nehi... it sounds really good, but I've never had it.

Oscar Brunner
02-11-2003, 11:31 PM
It's simple...nostalgia. We finally got a distributor in our area who carries this product and doesn't run out of it, and our customers love it. I think the Peach is severely under-rated, and Grape is over-rated. Nevertheless, we sell tons of this stuff. Now if we could only get the Jones distributor in our area to understand that THIS is real soda, and not some make-believe, wanna be stuff that no one really cares about...This is Americana.

Shatter
02-12-2003, 01:59 AM
I've actually got a bottle of Wild Red Nehi in my pantry. I haven't drank it because it isn't that great. The first one I bought I only bothered to drink half of it. It's like a low quality red cream soda. And I can't get any more of it, because the c-store I bought it from has closed down.

BottleBoss
02-12-2003, 09:05 AM
The big deal with Nehi is that it is classic, and you can get it in the long neck bottles which makes it all the more fun to drink. I think (my Opinion) that the thing that makes it soo special is that it is hard to find it in a lot of places, and even harder to find it in glass bottles. In fact, It is hard to find anything in glass in a lot of places! Nehi grape is very good, though welches is good to.

sodasommelier
02-13-2003, 02:38 AM
Oscar.. you will never convince a Jones distributor of anything; anyone selling Jones is in denial of good taste; however, if you have found a decent Nehi distributor up there then you've got a good thing going! I personally really like Nehi alot; if it's not worth anything to anyone else, I'll gladly take it for free!!!