PDA

View Full Version : Is Mello Yello Dead...or just on life support ?

craz22
02-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Can someone tell me what is going on with Mello Yello? Here in KS Mello Yello was popping up all over (only Citrus) about a year ago. Then I here it is being discontinued...then I gradually see its decline in stores. I still can get it at our local Dillions and Hy-vee, but they only carry Fridge Packs. My Sister Lives In Charlotte NC and there I have tried all the Mello Yello Flavors except Mellon, and enjoyed them as much as Mt.Dew. She tells me Cherry and AfterGlow are hardly seen at all anymore in Charlotte. What's this about Vault??? Is Mello Yello Dead in the Mid-West?

teamtitan512
02-08-2005, 11:56 PM
I've noticed it decreasing in supply here in Western MD from Central Coke. We had it return to us and it was selling big for a while after the death of Surge. We had it in 20 oz., 2L, and 12 packs. Now we have Fridge Packs and 20 oz. just like everyone else it seems.

Vault is a replacement drink being talked about for Mello Yello to be released. I've heard it's been testmarketed in a mall in Rochester, NY and we may see it sometime in the future.

The flavor extensions, AFAIK, have been dropped. Melon was the first to go, Cherry and Afterglow went afterward. I believe in East Tennessee, Diet Mello Yello is still around, if you're interested in that.

I like Mello Yello, but because of availability, I just buy Dew now.

bigrich
02-09-2005, 12:21 AM
There is still plenty in Indianapolis. We have it in 20oz, 2L, and Fridge Paks. With Mello Yello it is always coded (HO) Indianapolis. Other Coca-Cola products are frequently shipped in from Cincinnati, Twinsburg, Alsip, Niles, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Portland, IN, Flint, Detroit, West Memphis, College Point, Montgomery & Cleveland, TN. It seems our local production facility for CCE can never meet production requirements. It is easy to go to a supermarket and find CCE products from at least six production facilities. This changes by product weekly. Mello Yello seems to be the only exception here where it seems to be never shipped in. CCE in Indianapolis actually made the other flavors of Mello Yello here only to ship them out to other areas and never sold them locally.

XLS_04
02-09-2005, 12:42 AM
According to Coca-Cola in Atlanta Mello Yello is still sold in MOST of the country.

[ 02-09-2005, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: XLS_04 ]

fusion
02-09-2005, 02:26 PM
It is in some fountain locations in areas that the bottlers don't carry it in bottle/can packaging.

Shatter
02-09-2005, 03:36 PM
It's not available in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in bottles or cans, but you can get a glass of it at Steak N' Shake Restaurants.

Mello Yello was re-introduced into this area right after Surge was put out to pasture, and it floundered. In total, they tried pushing it three times, and they just couldn't get decent sales, so they permanently killed it off here. We never got Melon or Cherry here, I had to pick those up on a trip to Louisiana. And i've never been lucky enough to get some Afterglow at all.

ithastabeshasta
02-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Coca Cola in the Minneaplolis/St Paul area are having a flavor push for 2005 in vending, which did include Mello Yello. I don't remember the details of the program just that I was suprised to see Mello Yello included in it.

Mello Yello doesn't sell well in this market but is still available. The Cherry and Melon weren't around long and Afterglow never did arrive. But I was unlucky enough to try some in Arkansas I didn't like it at all, and I never did figure out what flavor it was suppose to be!

craz22
02-09-2005, 09:54 PM
It was a Peach/Tangerine flavor...the only simluarity it had with Livewire was its color. To me After Glow was a totally new flavor. Coca Cola tried something new and didn't give it a chance or a chance for wider distribution. We never have had anything but Mello Yello Citrus in KS to my knowledge. Look at Mountain Dew go crazy with new flavors...and now I hear come Easter they are having a new pastel purple drink (who know what it will taste like).

Robot
02-09-2005, 10:47 PM
i have some afterglow, i loved the stuff so i had shipped in alot of it back when i had expendable income... still have quite a few bottles..

craz22
02-10-2005, 12:28 AM
What is your price on some After Glow???

Robot
02-10-2005, 12:35 AM
email me , ill see how much i actually have, i have it stored somewhere here...

Mello Yello Luver
02-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Untill the last week, Mello Yello was in almost every convienece store here in my hometown of York PA. But in the last week it has all dissapered. I'm not surprised though. Mello Yello just doesn't sell too hot in the Northeast or the Midwest. But if it starts to disapear from the Southeast it's in trouble.

Maby Coke is clearing Mello Yello to release Vault. But I have a funny fealing Vault will be a failure too. If Mello Yello and Surge didn't work what will make Vault work :( ?

[ 02-10-2005, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Mello Yello Luver ]

Red Fusion RoX
02-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Yeah, mello yello is still here in Utah. I have been able to find it in 12 packs and 20 oz. bottles still. I don't know what this Vault is that you speak of though.

teamtitan512
02-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Vault - Mello Yello's rumored replacement. If you ask me, another disaster on Coke's hands.

Red Fusion RoX
02-15-2005, 07:25 PM
I guess there's really no rival for Mtn. Dew. Mello Yello is still here, but just in the occasional 12 pack. And I really don't see the need for "Vault", especially if it's just going to taste like Mello Yello. Sounds like just a new name to me.

jblavit
02-16-2005, 04:19 PM
I like the taste of mellow yellow better than Mt. Dew. Also what is vault? When is it coming out?