PDA

View Full Version : Beverage Career

turbojames
11-05-2006, 10:07 PM
I am interested in making a career in the beverage business.

So far I've worked as a merchandiser and a truck loader at CCE for 6 months during school and worked at a bottled water plant since June.

I'm graduating from college in December.

I'd really be interested in working for a smaller outfit that has strong growth going into the future and a product that I truly believe in. I'd really like to be on the brand management (Jones/Hansens/Arizona, etc.) side and not on the bottling/distribution end of the business.

What type of jobs can a low-skilled college graduate expect to get with a company like this?

Also, are there any up and coming companies that I should take a look at?

I am most appreciative of your comments.

Ron Swedelson
11-06-2006, 11:52 AM
If you are doing it for fun, yeah, a local beverage job with a supplier can be gained with a degree (not truley needed, but does help if you have no experience) and a good outgoing personality. If you are looking for a career and money, get ready to travel. It pretty hard to make good money in beverage unless you are a Regional manager with a good company, or a National manager. But then again, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so its hard to make money to live out here no matter what job you have.

greg
11-06-2006, 12:04 PM
TurboJ
The first thing I would suggest is make sure you finish school and get a degree. That degree will open doors for you no matter what industry you go into.
As for the beverage industry: Try marketing or brand management. It sounds like you are "over" with pushing pruduct, which is the first spot on the rung to success in any beverage job. But don't think you are done forever, especially if you are looking for a young company with a lot of growth potential. I came from PBG where I touched cases only if I wanted to( at the end of my stint), now I am with a relatively young Energy Drink Company and I wear many hats.....I have helped in manufacturing, in the warehouse, shipping, of course sales, marketing, you name it and I have done it. But the great thing is it helps you develop a personal relationship with your product so it is easier for your heart and soul to get into it.
The beverage industry is a volume based company so always thing BIG.

NRGSLLR@
11-06-2006, 02:03 PM
Turbo,
I would suggest spending at least 1 year "on the street" selling a national brand at retail. Think CCE or PBG and learn the industry from that perspective. I don't mean driving a truck and schlepping cases but presales. Talk to store managers, and owners, find out what they are looking for in terms of margin, merchandising etc. In my field, It is always looked upon as a positive to have had the hands on experience I describe above. Plus you should be able to make $30-$40 K while "continuing your education". Finishing College is the first step not the completion of your training.

greg
11-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by NRGSLLR@:
Turbo,
I would suggest spending at least 1 year "on the street" selling a national brand at retail. Think CCE or PBG and learn the industry from that perspective. I don't mean driving a truck and schlepping cases but presales. Talk to store managers, and owners, find out what they are looking for in terms of margin, merchandising etc. In my field, It is always looked upon as a positive to have had the hands on experience I describe above. Plus you should be able to make $30-$40 K while "continuing your education". Finishing College is the first step not the completion of your training. Great Advice !!!!!!

Mr Zabe
11-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Ditto
Excellent advice!!!!