PDA

View Full Version : Early Vault Sales #s and Other Data

SURGE
11-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Vaultkicks.org today threw up a link to a very interesting Beverage Digest article about Vault sales. Infact its the first concrete numbers I have seen. They are very interesting and overwhelmingly positive. Here is a summary all data is from test markets only, not national since Vault is still regional:

Total Sales from June to Sept. 2.6 million cases (mostly through 20oz form.) Also there is currently no Vault in fountain and lower penitration of 12pks, cases, ect.

1. 1.5% of C-Store CSD 20oz sales tieing it with Sprite.

2. Coke is happy despite only 90% of predicted volume. Still this is understanble based on its poor showing in supermarkets (where it has been pushed least heavily and in some markets still unavalible in non 20-oz size). Here it even trails Mello Yello. This will obviously improve once size penetration is complete.

3.avrg. selling price of $1

4."after four months, Vault 20-oz in C-stores held 14.5 share of "20-oz regular citrus," while Mt. Dew's share in that sample had slipped from 79.5 to 67.4."- Obviously Vault is shining in 20oz which is really what Coke is expecting since thta has been where all the marketing is pointed.

5. 7% of households have tried Vault. 38% of those repurchise. The average number number of repetes is 2.1 times.

http://www.beverage-digest.com/editorial/051118.php

Mello Yello Luver
11-24-2005, 07:31 AM
The fact that Vault sales are tied with Sprite is a very good sigh!

fusion
11-24-2005, 11:36 AM
To me, the most promising of the data is the 20oz numbers. Dew is strongest in 20oz, often outselling regular Pepsi in many chains.

Mr Zabe
11-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Are you talking about 20oz btls 6pks or indiviual 20oz btls? At least in Chicago, there are so many sales, the 20oz 6pks move well for all brands. I guess it may be the super size generation of drinkers or multiple use of each bottle.

[ 11-24-2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

fusion
11-24-2005, 09:24 PM
AFAIK, Coke doesn't do 20oz 6pks anymore. We got rid of them in Maryland a few years back when Coke started doing 24oz 6pks.

I don't recall seeing them anywhere from Pepsi in my travels lately, either. Just 16.9oz 6pks and 24oz 6pks.

Now, RC Winchester and Honickman Canada Dry still have 20oz 6pks.. Winchester moreso. Honickman has been buying more and more 16.9oz 6pks from other DSPU bottlers, like Independent (Charlotte NC) and Davis (Allentown PA).

20oz 6pks are generally a bad idea because you end up losing business in your small stores when the store owners hit the chain stores during a hot ad and stock up.

pepsidew
11-24-2005, 10:40 PM
4."after four months, Vault 20-oz in C-stores held 14.5 share of "20-oz regular citrus," while Mt. Dew's share in that sample had slipped from 79.5 to 67.4."- Obviously Vault is shining in 20oz which is really what Coke is expecting since thta has been where all the marketing is pointed.

that doesn't surprise me, i bet that happened when surge came out too - seems to me that is just people trying it in c-stores.

[ 11-24-2005, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: pepsidew ]

SURGE
11-25-2005, 06:33 AM
O

that doesn't surprise me, i bet that happened when surge came out too - seems to me that is just people trying it in c-stores. [/QB]I agree in some ways. Still I think one important difference remains. SURGE only had a 1.1% return purchise rate. If you couple that with an average purchise of 1.4 purchises by these return buyers and you can see why Vault is more succesfull than SURGE in the same markets with far less marketing dollars.

I'm too tired right now but I'm hoping to address MDXs very anti-Vault stance in the next few days.

karks88
11-25-2005, 10:46 AM
This is definitely positive news. If Vault can at least hang somewhere around Sprite's numbers then that makes it a legitimate brand that will be around for awhile.

The key is that Coke needs to continue to nuture the brand and not expect miracles overnight. The competition is stiff and if you're going to put a dent in them you will have to do it over time.

ramonazo
11-25-2005, 01:19 PM
If Vault is going really well in sales, I hope they would accelerate the launching for January, cause I WANT TO KICK IT!

DJ HawaiianShirt
11-25-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm interested to see how the Vault bashers will spin this data.

SEV smile.gif

dahojo
11-27-2005, 12:06 AM
If CCC drops Sundrop in Hickory then Vault has real support.

Mello Yello Luver
11-27-2005, 04:59 AM
Dang Mt. Dew is a giant in the Southeast!!!!
(Stats from Beverage Digest)
Share of 20oz Sales
Mountain Dew 7.4
Coke 3.6
Sprite 1.5
Vault 1.3
Mello Yello 0.7
(Vault and Mello Yello share) 2.0

Vault is no where near Mt.Dew sales. But I think coke can live with a 1.3 share. That's not too bad. Let's hope that Vault's share keeps going up.

[ 11-27-2005, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Mello Yello Luver ]

DJ HawaiianShirt
11-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Yeah, all we need is for Vault to be successful enough to keep being produced, then we'll have all the chances we want to choose it over Dew in the stores.

SEV ;)

iluvsurge220
11-28-2005, 01:12 AM
38% repurchased it, so I guess that means they bought it, tried it, and bought it again, correct? I don't think that number can be taken too seriously and I think it will be higher. This is what I mean: When I bought Vault, I had to go to another state to get it, so when I got it, I got lots of it. The reason I bought a lot of it is because I knew that I wouldn't be able to go back and get more because I couldn't go back to Tennessee. I would say that this is probably true for a lot of other people. They may have just passed through a state on a trip bought some Vault, and then never passed through again. Once Vault goes national, and everyone is able to buy it, I think the repurchase % will go up by a good amount.

SURGE
11-28-2005, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by iluvsurge220:
38% repurchased it, so I guess that means they bought it, tried it, and bought it again, correct? Yes but lets not forget that average of 2.1 purchises. Both of these numbers are pretty phenominal for a soda that has been pushed pretty much only in 20oz at C-Stores with no national advertising campaign and no known brandname. Lets also not forget that Mello Yello is largest in the SE and claims quite a bit less share than Vault. Remember folks that 12pks, and other sizes are still hit and miss in many areas and unavalible entirely in others. Fountain is also not an option so far. So yeah I think Vault has a ways to grow even without going after Dew too hard. Hopefully Coke puts enough money into this one to make them a solid player in the market. Surely Zero will help establish that goal as well.