PDA

View Full Version : Rumor is that Pepsi Bought Hires?

bigbottom
02-27-2003, 09:25 AM
After the sad and dismal failure of MUG Pepsi has probably made one of the smartest acqusitions in it's history.

The original Rootbeer HIRES!

Danny you better get all you can no more glass bottles my freind.

Boom,Boom,Boom,Boom!

JACK
02-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Interesting?? Did PCNA buy Hires from Cadbury or did Cadbury just allow a franchise for Pepsi. Where did you see this information. Based on Cadbury's current route to market for this brand, it would not be a bad idea if they could get Pepsi to pay what the brand is worth.

bigbottom
02-27-2003, 12:09 PM
Distributors are all a buzz because they can no longer get the product in and this is what they where told.

So while I have no confirmation product availability has ceased to current distributors.

XLS_03
02-27-2003, 12:22 PM
Hire's has not been sold here in about 10 years. Maybe because of this it will be sold here again.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-27-2003, 12:37 PM
i'm very excited about this, because it admits that a company has failed in one of their own "creations" that was made to compete with an original. sometimes, you just can't beat the originals.

as for glass bottles, where can they be made?!

i want info people, mug rootbeer is alive and well here. (unfortunately)

karks88
02-27-2003, 12:38 PM
I still see Mug around here too. I haven't seen Hires in years and years though. Used to drink it every so often when it was available. It would be great if Pepsi bought it and started distributing it all over, but hopefully they don't mess with the formula.

Terry K
02-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Mug was a bad idea from the start. I tend to wonder though if DPSU would sell *anything* to pepsi based on the divestature of 7up with PBG.

If Hires has been yanked, (which would NOT surprise me), I could see DPSU dumping a LOT of the brands in its portfolio simply because they have duplicates of everything (nehi, crush, welch's/sunkist), and would need to do something to get things in order.

drpep
02-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Nothing about this on Yahoo News, Bevnet's homepage or my daily beverage newsletter email
I would assume that a local Pepsi distributor picked up a Hires franchise.

[ 02-27-2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: dr pepperman ]

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-28-2003, 04:08 AM
all those brands are regional things. tehy wouldn't dump it. some regions people only drink hires. some love nehi while people in michigan have never heard of it before. in some places, there's many equally strong distributors that can carry crush/sunkist/welchs and nehi.

they won't shelve those products. america is a big country, you know...

Travel'n Jones
03-04-2003, 07:57 PM
The BevMo is carrying Hires Here. Delicious Hires in glass bottles the way it should be. I would hope Pepsi has brains enough to leave it in glass.

Every grocery store in my area has a small section of premium soda. Usually just Henry Weinharts, Thomas Kemper, Jones and maybe some stewarts. Pepsi could capitalize on this niche. Hires beats Weinharts, Kemper and Souix City any day of the week.

The jones in my name isn't a Jones' jones.

teamtitan512
04-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Hires was one of the most legendary drinks in these parts, but it hasn't been seen here since 1994. Before that, Hires was a product of RC. A&W, Sunkist, Squirt, Canada Dry, and Dr. Pepper were all products of Coca-Cola at the time locally in Western MD. Then Coca-Cola dropped those for more Coca-Cola products. A&W was picked up then, and Hires was dropped. I think this would be a positive for Pepsi to get a new root beer, but I don't know how good sales would be considering Hires is rarely seen anywhere anymore.

teamtitan512
05-22-2003, 09:58 PM
Right when you used to ride into town here, there was a big Hires Root Beer sign. Now it's painted over in white.

DPSU does have a lot of overlapping, considering

orange (Sunkist, Crush, Nehi)
citrus (Squirt, Sun Drop, Mountain Dew in Western VA)
ginger ale (Canada Dry, Schweppes, Vernor's)
root beer (A&W, Hires, Nehi I've seen before)
grape (Welch's, Sunkist, NuGrape)

The thing is having multiple brands before became necessary because of Coke for example holding some of the primary brand franchises, letting the regionals then be seen. Since Coke has dropped a lot of these franchises, DPSU then gets their primary brands, and never lets the others show up. I really wouldn't be surprised if some smaller companies end up turning some of those names into premier sodas in glass w/pure cane sugar. Actually, that would be great, but w/o a large company's backing, availablity would become a concern.

Shatter
05-23-2003, 03:50 AM
The Dublin TX Dr Pepper bottler has SunCrest, an orange soda. Is it owned by Dr Pepper/RC/7up, or is it specific to Dublin?

[ 05-23-2003, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

teamtitan512
05-23-2003, 06:18 PM
I'd say Suncrest might be specific to Dublin, as is something like NuGrape.

datruth
05-23-2003, 10:43 PM
DPSU does not own Nugrape, Big Red does.

Montain Dew is owned Pepsi but 2 Dr Pepper bottlers refused to sell there rights.

DPSU owns IBC root beer and Nehi Grape is still out there.

Shatter
05-24-2003, 12:08 AM
I've always had a lot of respect for IBC. They're resisted going to plastic and aluminum, and have not only done well, they're selling well enough that they've introduced all those new flavors in the past few years, like Berries & Cream, Cherry Limeade, and Tangerines & Cream. They keep bottling their drinks the old fashioned way, in glass bottles with crown caps. You gotta love that.

SURGE
05-24-2003, 07:54 PM
It will be a wonderfull day when I never see MUG again. Man that stuff is some watered down ****. As for the whole Mr. Green thing I figure within 3 years Pepper will be off Pepsi's portfolio if DPSU were smart they would make the move before Pepsi can. Anyways other than MUG I think all the above mentioned Root Beers are pretty dandy. IBC and Hires are good but damn near impossible to find around here. I see IBC sometimes in glass. A&W and Barqs are good for national HFCS and plastic. But I would love to see Hires comeback. Stewards makes some good root beer too!

Terry K
05-25-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by datruth:

Montain Dew is owned Pepsi but 2 Dr Pepper bottlers refused to sell there rights.

We've established that RC Winchester was one of the two bottlers who still has Dew, but who's the other one?

RunWithDaLilGuy
05-25-2003, 02:56 PM
welch's, sunkist, crush and nehi all have grape, orange and strawberry sodas. if only dpsu had some different type bottles, that one splash bottle kills these four different drink lines.

i'd like to see a blue squirt. i think that'd be cool. i think ruby red squirt's a dead issue. hardly ever see it around here in 20oz anymore.

teamtitan512
05-25-2003, 03:43 PM
I was saying how sometimes you can find NuGrape around here by a DPSU bottler (though I've seen Pepsi down in VA carry it).

These counties have Mountain Dew under DPSU control.

Frederick County (Winchester)
Clarke County
Loudoun County
Warren County
Shenandoah County
Rockingham County
Augusta County

WV

Hampshire County
Berkeley County
Jefferson County
Morgan County

All are in the proximity of Winchester, so they're probably all supplied from there. I don't know whether or not there's a distributor in Harrisonburg that's kept the rights (there I know DPSU and RC are separate). DPSU has Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist (This region is always very interesting!), A&W, Sunkist, Welch's, and Canada Dry. RC has itself, Diet Rite, Cherikee Red, and Cheerwine (that's all I remember seeing). 7-Up is Pepsi (along w/NuGrape and Sun Drop). I don't think this type of arrangement exists anywhere but around that part of VA, so my guess is the other bottler is DPSU in Harrisonburg, I think they're a separate entity from RC Winchester.

stinkfinger
05-25-2003, 09:59 PM
teamtitan512 is Dr Wells still around?

teamtitan512
05-26-2003, 06:50 PM
I think I may have seen it in VA at a Kroger, but I'm not sure now.