PDA

View Full Version : kosher for passover 2005

Lepke
02-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Passover in 2005 begins at sundown on the evening of April 23, 2005. Just 65 days left till kosher for Passover soda. Well figure you will be able to get it about a week before.
Just keep your eye out for the KP.

Bash125
02-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Anyone know where the passover coke is available in cans. The 2 litters go flat too quick.

Christian Prickett
02-17-2005, 02:05 PM
What makes a soda Kosher?

Lepke
02-17-2005, 03:57 PM
There is no reason soda would no be kosher. To receive a kosher certification one must subscribe to one of the rabbinic services who observe the manufacturing process to ensure the product is indeed kosher.
Kosher for Passover is a little different. Certain foods are not permitted to eat during Passover, one of these foods being corn. Since corn syrup is made from corn the soda companies wishing to sell their product to Jews during Passover replace the HFCS with good old-fashioned pure cane sugar.
So get it while you can Passover comes but once a year.

fusion
02-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Coke has monkeyed with the Passover Coke over the past 4 years or so. I remember it being available in 2 liters and 6 pack cans. Coke, Diet, Sprite, Seagram's (Ale and Seltzer, I think. Maybe they were only in 1 liters, I'm not 100% sure). Next, they dumped the cans/2L and went with just 1 liters. Oh, the uproar. So many people were pissed about that! So, the next year they brought back the 2 liters. But there haven't been any Passover cans since.

[ 02-17-2005, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: fusion ]

bigrich
02-17-2005, 10:13 PM
When Herbco owned what was the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Chicago (roughly Chicago, Milwaukee, & Indianapolis) they produced passover product in belly banded 12 pack cans. It was in a special can that had a triangle and the letters CRC inside. It was approved by the Chicago Rabitorical Council. They made it in Coca-Cola Classic, Diet Coke, & Sprite. I wish I would see this kind of packaging again as I could stock up for a longer time because cans have a longer shelf life.

Orangeman
02-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Rabitorical?

fusion
02-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Rabbinical.

bigrich
02-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Yah, that's what it stood for.

bigrich
02-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Spotted some Kosher for Passover Canfield's 50/50 today in 6-pack cans. The cans had the triangle with the abbreviation CRC inside.

Lepke
02-25-2005, 07:27 PM
A product with a certification from Chicago Rabbinical Council (cRc) is kosher but unless the triangle with the (CRC) inside has a (P) next to it, it is not kosher for Passover. From what I understand Canfields chocolate fudge soda is sugar free and requires no change in recipe or formula just observance and Passover certification.
Other products with certain forbidden ingredients (not permitted to eat at Passover but fine to eat the rest of the year) must replace what is not allowed or omit what is not allowed. In the case of soda cheap corn syrup is replaced with pure sugar.
Pure sugar in sodas is hard to find these days especially in the big brands like Pepsi and coke.
Some Jews from Middle Eastern countries allow corn and a few other foods not allowed by most other Jews at Passover. But for the most part the kosher for Passover rules are the same for both.

If any one has any questions on this subject I’ll be happy to answer to the best of my ability.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-26-2005, 11:11 AM
why would they produce kosher diet coke if the ingredients don't change? same with the seltzer?

Lepke
02-26-2005, 12:26 PM
The rabbinic authority would need to observe the manufacturing process to ensure the product does not come into contact with anything not considered kosher for Passover.
If the product comes in contact with or contains an ingredient that is not kosher for Passover it renders the product unfit for Passover. It still may be kosher but not for Passover.
So this is a special certification in addition to regular kosher certification.
If this does not answer your question please let me know.

RunWithDaLilGuy
02-27-2005, 09:53 AM
okay cool, i was just focusing on the ingredients side of things.

Dr. Pepper King
02-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Where can I get some KOSHER Coca Cola....I am in the Los Angeles area....

Lepke
02-28-2005, 04:05 PM
You will have no problem finding kosher for Passover coke in Los Angeles.
Any large supermarket or almost any market in a Jewish area will have an ample supply, about a week or 3 before Passover.
You will be looking for a KP or a P next to the regular kosher symbol or Hebrew writing on the cap. If you can find it in cans it may have a sticker saying kosher for Passover in English and Hebrew (I have not seen KP in cans for a few years).

fusion
02-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Usually the KP Coke has a yellow cap with Hebrew writing on it.

Red Fusion RoX
03-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Is there kosher Dr. Pepper or Pibb Xtra?

Bash125
03-08-2005, 09:07 AM
I have never seen or heard of Dr. Pepper certifed Kosher for Passover. I have Heard of Sprite, Schwepes, Pepsi, Canfield's, and Dr. Bown's sodas certified.

Dublin Dr. Pepper is still made with Sugar Cane.
http://www.olddocs.com/results.aspx?cat=Drinks&subcat1=Dr+Pepper

bigrich
03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
West Jefferson Dr Pepper produces regular drinks in their glass bottles made with cane sugar.

RufusRyker
03-17-2005, 04:18 AM
Here is my stash from last year -- now long gone. I can't wait to buy some more -- hopefully this week.

http://www.nussbomb.com/images/Cokeisit3.jpg

Lepke
03-17-2005, 01:45 PM
nice picture. i think i'll do the same when i stock up. take a picture and post it i mean.

bigrich
03-17-2005, 03:07 PM
It should be any day now. I keep going to the supermarket daily and checking. I keep hoping we will get cans this year, but I doubt it. I think I bought about 90 bottles last year, that was one a day for 3 months (since they only have a 90 day shelf life).

Bash125
03-17-2005, 04:15 PM
I was hoping for cans as well. I went ahead and ordered one of these soda dispensers to see if the soda will at least hold the carbonation longer. Hey at least it is Coke red!

http://www.marketexpo.com/new_product_images/05001.jpg

Says it worked.
http://www.10news.com/doesitwork/3818423/detail.html

Cheapest I could find it.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=17861&affiliateID=577

[ 03-17-2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Bash125 ]

bigrich
03-17-2005, 04:20 PM
There Here! 2L OU-P Coca-Cola. Caps are yellow and say Coca-Cola Bottler Association. They are coded AX -Alexandria, VA. and have an expiration date of June 13, 2005.

[ 03-17-2005, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: bigrich ]

Lepke
04-09-2005, 10:33 PM
It’s here, it’s here!!!! Kosher for Passover Pepsi. Finally.. A week before Passover. It has a white cap with a simple KP on it. My wife brought home my first two bottles 4 liters.

bigrich
05-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Went to my local Supermarket today and was plesantly surprised to see glass 8 oz Kosher Coca-Cola. I would not have noticed but I bought them for the commerative bottle. When I looked at the lid it was marked O-U. The bottles came from (NH) Needham Heights. I chilled one and drank it. I noticed the difference with the first sip. Why can't they bottle in glass the cane sugar recipe and charge more?

cstu
07-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Where can I get some KOSHER Coca Cola....I am in the Los Angeles area....

------------

Also interested to know where this would be in the LA area. There are a lot of Jewish stores here, do they normally carry it?

Mr Zabe
07-12-2005, 11:43 PM
In Chicago, my family buys nearly all their passover food at a large Jewish Grocery Store.
I know Los Angeless has a nice size Jewish community. I would bet you will find a good Jewish Grocery store that has passover approved coke.

I do not observe Judaism anymore(it's a long story) but one of the main grocery stores in Chicago stocks kosher soda pop for passover.
Have you call your local Coca Cola bottler?

There is a website that will tell you what brands of soda pop are kosher and kosher for passover.

Good Luck

[ 07-12-2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

redcremesoda
07-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Hey, Mr Zabe. Can you share with the class what "main grocery store" you speak of in Chicago? I'd like to get some of this one of these years and can't seem to locate it.

Mr Zabe
07-13-2005, 02:17 AM
Check out the Jewel and Dominicks grocery stores located in Glenview, Northbrook, Highland Park and Vernon Hills. Last year I saw Coke products kosher for passover being sold at these stores.

[ 07-13-2005, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]