PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know where I can find this bottle?

ramonazo
11-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Does anybody know where I can find this 12 oz. bottle? :confused:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/ccmphtml/ccimages/w6558.jpg

or it's only a prop used for commercials and print ads? :confused:

jmyjunk
11-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Well, I have never seen that particular 12oz bottle, ever. I have been an avid collector of coke cans and bottles for more than 15 years.

Local Coke bottlers in the past did produce bottle that would be regional variations. But again, the coke bottles here for some time have been 8oz.
So I would say it was a prop bottle.

fusion
11-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Bink's Coca-Cola in Escanaba MI still sells 10oz.. but I don't know if they mean longnecks or deli.

jmyjunk
11-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey Fusion,

I think Ramon was speaking of the bottles in the add.

I do not ever seen, nor through my world of collecting ever seen those specific bottles.

Again, I will have to say the are ad props.

RunWithDaLilGuy
11-30-2005, 11:58 PM
those are all props...how do you even know they are 12oz?

bink's stopped production.

ramonazo
12-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanx, jmyjunk!

I wanted to know if that bottle was available in U.S. to search for it in my next vacation...

I remember when I was a child, in my first visit to the U.S. in 1995 in McAllen, TX., I searched like crazy that bottle (because I thought I would see grocery stores like the "abarrotes" we have here that sells Coke in glass bottles like here in Mexico), but I only saw gas convenience stores selling 20 oz. PET bottles and cans, no 12 oz. bottles like the one in the pic...

[ 11-30-2005, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

fusion
12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
I didn't know that about Bink's. That sucks!

SamC
12-02-2005, 06:10 PM
The only glass bottles you ever see in the USA are to super-overpriced replica of the 6 1/2 oz originals (now actually 8 oz in size).

You can get glass bottles similar to the ones in the picture (which are props) in Prince Edward Island, Canada, where plastic bottles are illegal.

Chad.
12-02-2005, 07:05 PM
i have some 16 oz glass bottles that look like that they are from 1982 and the cardinals world series win

jmyjunk
12-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Chad.,
Do you mean in that countour bottle style? Becuase 1982 would pre date Coca Cola Classic

smile.gif

ramonazo
12-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by SamC:
The only glass bottles you ever see in the USA are to super-overpriced replica of the 6 1/2 oz originals (now actually 8 oz in size).

You can get glass bottles similar to the ones in the picture (which are props) in Prince Edward Island, Canada, where plastic bottles are illegal. Plastic bottles illegal there??!! WOW!! :eek:

Precisely, the reason that told me a salesperson when I asked for Coke glass bottles in my first visit to U.S. is that the glass bottles were retired because they were "dangerous", because in fightings they used it to crash them on their heads... :rolleyes:

Android
12-03-2005, 03:22 PM
It was mostly economics that doomed glass. Glass was retired because it is heavier, prone to breakage while in transit or in handling, and because plastic became cheap enough to replace it.

Ramon, I guess you must have missed the post a few months ago where "No Soda" posted some pictures of his purchases when he went to PEI. This is one of them:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/nosoda/coke.jpg

His other pictures can be found towards the bottom of this page:

http://www.bevnet.com/bevboard/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002163;p=2#0000 76

-Andy

[ 12-03-2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Android ]

SamC
12-03-2005, 05:29 PM
The death of returnable glass was economic.

In the old days there were 1000s of bottling plants. Delivery trucks ran right from the plant. Filled bottles out, empty bottles brough back.

With consolidation, the mega-bottlers produce non-returnables and ship the 100s of miles to warehouses. Delivery truck deliver out of the warehouses and return back w/ just an empty truck.

And, yes, Prince Edward Island, which was reachable only by boat until just a few years ago, has a mandatory returnables policy. All soda is in glass bottle returnables, and is refilled on the island. With the completion of the bridge, the special economics of the place no longer exist, so I would look for the companies to presure for an end to this.

Android
12-03-2005, 05:54 PM
The economics I was talking about were in the post-returnables era. NR Glass was phased out during the 90s, and was just a merchandising headache compared to plastic. During the time I worked for Pepsi, only a couple of the products our region distributed were in glass, and I just didn't care to have to deal with them.

This all coming while I was still travelling around and buying returnables for my own consumption from various bottlers that were still around then. All gone now, well at least the major labels, except I think Coke in Winona, MN still bottles Coke, DC and Sprite in returnable glass, or at least they still did when I was through there in May.

-Andy

ramonazo
12-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Android:
Ramon, I guess you must have missed the post a few months ago where "No Soda" posted some pictures of his purchases when he went to PEI...Wow!... Those bottles look awesome!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks Andy for the link! smile.gif

ithastabeshasta
12-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Android:

This all coming while I was still travelling around and buying returnables for my own consumption from various bottlers that were still around then. All gone now, well at least the major labels, except I think Coke in Winona, MN still bottles Coke, DC and Sprite in returnable glass, or at least they still did when I was through there in May.

-Andy Yes Winona Minnesota Coca Cola still does returnables. And Sundrop is available in Wisconsin in returnables. There is also 3 bottlers all within 100 miles of each other there that do there own flavors in returnables.