PDA

View Full Version : Cokes pathetic CHRISTMAS packaging:

BottleBoss
12-01-2005, 08:15 AM
I saw some of Cokes Christmas packaging today. GIVE LIVE LOVE or some redicilous thing. This is an obvious pathetic attempt at avoiding using the phrase "Merry Christmas" or anything like it. I don't even think I saw 'Happy Holidays' on the box. Did I miss it? A truly pathetic attempt at political correctness. They should have MERRY CHRISTMAS all over the boxes and bottles. And for the Christian haters. So what! They could even put specific reference to the other minotity religions holidays on there as well.

Mr Zabe
12-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Well said.
What the heck is a Holiday Tree?
This PC stuff is stupid. :(

ramonazo
12-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by BottleBoss:
I saw some of Cokes Christmas packaging today. GIVE LIVE LOVE or some redicilous thing. This is an obvious pathetic attempt at avoiding using the phrase "Merry Christmas" or anything like it. I don't even think I saw 'Happy Holidays' on the box. Did I miss it? A truly pathetic attempt at political correctness. They should have MERRY CHRISTMAS all over the boxes and bottles. And for the Christian haters. So what! They could even put specific reference to the other minotity religions holidays on there as well. IMO I like the U.S. holiday graphics, and also the "Give Live Love Coke" slogan, it's original for me...

And now that you say it, I don't remember seeing any "feliz navidad" (merry christmas or happy holidays)phrase on the bottles and cans of Coke here in Mex. for the last 13 years...

BTW, see the "Arctic Beach Party" commercial here (http://announce.coca-cola.com) It's cool, man!

[ 12-01-2005, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

iluvsurge220
12-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Yeah I think it is stupid. The holiday is Christmas and you put up a Christmas tree, not a holiday tree. It's really pathetic.

da987
12-01-2005, 02:39 PM
PC here in England is also ridiculous. A lot of town councils are not putting up their xmas lights a decorations this year just incase they offend like 1 person. Beleive it or not, in the small village where I live, the first shop to put up any decorations this year is the Chinese take away.

At least our Xmas Coke bottle this year has Santa on it.

http://members.aol.com/da987/2005xmasbottle.jpg

Mr Zabe
12-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Now that's a nice Christmas bottle.
I wish Coke would use them here in the States.

ramonazo
12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
I like the U.S. and the U.K. Holiday PCs, and the mexican one is great too...

http://i9.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/6d/92/10_1.JPG http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/78/1c/63_1.JPG

[ 12-01-2005, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

BottleBoss
12-01-2005, 06:26 PM
It's like if someone puts up a sign that says: 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Kwanza' or 'Happy Hunnukah (SP)' or puts it on there product or courthouse that its really going to offend me. Like I'm going to say, 'Oh, I won't buy that now', Or, 'I'm going to move out of town' because of it. I think really that these people hate the idea of a 'Christ' or a 'God' so they want to eliminate it in even the smallest ways. I know its only soda pop, but its the whole idea behind it you know.

Mr Zabe
12-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Just me.
I respect all religions, all people, all cultures and all colors of this unique world we live in.
Intolerance is just simple ignorance which seems to be the norm instead of the exception.

Peace out smile.gif

ramonazo
12-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mr Zabe:
Just me.
I respect all religions, all people, all cultures and all colors of this unique world we live in.
Intolerance is just simple ignorance which seems to be the norm instead of the exception.

Peace out smile.gif Agree with you smile.gif

And although Coke just places Santa in their packaging... here in my town, Embotelladora Aguascalientes, the local Coca-Cola bottler here, instead of Santa ornaments, every year they place outside of the bottling plant a big and beautiful representation of the nativity of Jesus: Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus in a big stable, it's like a tradition.

[ 12-01-2005, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

the saint
12-01-2005, 10:18 PM
I have a ??? If Wal Mart took the word "Christmas" and all references to "Santa" out of their "holiday" advertising so they wouldn't offend someone. WHY do they play "Christmas music" all day in their stores???? Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Mr Zabe
12-01-2005, 10:45 PM
When I worked Christmas retail in shopping malls, I was forced to hear a repeating tape of Christmas music. The music was not the issue, I like most of the songs like White Christmas and Santa is coming to town....just not 1000 time a day. LOL

Wal-mart would probably loose business if they could not exploit Christmas songs and symbols.

[ 12-01-2005, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

CaffeineBoy
12-01-2005, 10:51 PM
this reminds me of the time when DR. pepper took out the phrase "under god" in the pledge of alleigance on thier patriotic cans. i guess they were trying not to offend anyone, but they ended up getting tons of comments from people claiming it was "mutilating" the pledge of alleigance.

as for these holliday cans, it really takes away from the spirit of christmas when everything has to be a "holiday" this and "holiday" that. on christmas, you put up a christmas tree. for hannukah, you light a menorah. i don't see any "holiday menorahs". so why should eveything have to be so politically correct? i dont get offended when i see people celebrating hannukah or kwanzaa, and if christmas offends you, you're seriously like Scrooge or something.

jmyjunk
12-02-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm Sorry, But I do like the holiday packages. I do not think it to "PC" . It a nice change to see to polar bears,and not Santa.
Just remember, not everyone celebrates X-mas.
It's a winter package, celebrating all the holidays.
The USA is a diverse counrty.

DJ HawaiianShirt
12-02-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm not sure it's the best idea to turn this board into a political discussion. And it IS politics, no matter how you spin it.

Not everyone in this country is a Christian, but I don't think that's a reason to pull any sort of "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" from Coke cans... Unless Coke thinks that something like that would hurt sales from non-Christian buyers, which I doubt it would.

Not every non-Christian is a "Christian hater", btw.

But I have to admit, Coke's Holiday designs this season are simply horrible.

SEV redface.gif

Mr Zabe
12-02-2005, 12:49 PM
I may of said this before and IMO.

If a soft drink came in a real nasty looking can,I would still buy it. I like my fellow beverage freaks, consume/buy for the taste not the looks of a can. All I care about is how fresh the drink is and how it tastes. That's it. smile.gif

I will say on second thought, the Santa Coke cans are rather hard on the eyes. To many thin lines for a big Jolie St.Nick. :D

mjb1124
12-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Personally, I don't see why either side has to make such a big deal out of the "Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays" issue. Both are perfectly harmless phrases if you ask me.

jmyjunk
12-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I agree, there are better forums for The Christmas/Holiday "PC" debate.

I think this discussion is better served by weather or not you like the current "Sesonal" Holiday graphics on Coke Cans/Bottles.

I, for one, Love them. It's a fresh change from many years of the same Santa.
And how can anyone not like the Polar Bears ;)

CaffeineBoy
12-03-2005, 02:55 PM
don't get me wrong, i love the designs themselves, as well as the polar bears, but i was commenting on the "PC-ness" of it all.

(i'm not christian but i celebrate christmas, i guess it's kinda strange how xmas always become the "default" holiday for non-religious folks.)

anyways, the new holiday slogan "give live love coke" is kind of confusing. i interpreted it as "give, live, love coke" or "give, live, love. coke.". and i like the polar bears. it sems like we haven't seen them in coke's advertising in a while, most soda packaging these days are focused to be 'hip and trendy'...

fusion
12-07-2005, 07:59 PM
At least the Santa truck is still out there.

http://www.chattanoogacocacola.com/images/santa%20truck2.gif

ramonazo
12-08-2005, 11:19 AM
BTW, that reminds me that last saturday night I went to the downtown of my city Aguascalientes to see the lightening of the Coca-Cola christmas tree that is located every year in the civic center of Aguascalientes, It was awesome! the Coca-Cola christmas caravan was there, and also the polar bear family, the seal, in a caravan there was a mechanic polar bear moving his arm with a Coke on the hand, while I was holding a lighten candle with a Coke papercup, It was awesome!!

[ 12-08-2005, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

Ron
12-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Where's the "Happy Solstice" bottle?

fusion
12-09-2005, 03:06 PM
I think Happy Holidays covers about every winter holiday out there.

buzzcut
12-14-2005, 12:17 AM
^ I agree..

Why does everybody want to take the joy out of "Happy Holidays" this year? I say Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Thanksgiving, Happy New Year.. all that ****..

"Happy Holidays" was never about being politically correct. How quickly Christian people forget that they celebrate other holidays around this time of year too - New Year's and Thanksgiving!!!

And I never ever heard of a "Holiday Tree" until people started making a stink about it.

mjb1124
12-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Thank you, buzzcut.

And I don't see why people think "Give, Love, Live" is an attempt to be PC either. It's just an advertising slogan. That's like saying that "Make It Real" is a euphemism for "Don't drink anything other than Coke."

BottleBoss
12-14-2005, 07:59 AM
Let's face it people. The holiday most people in this country are celebrating is Christmas. You can deny it all you want. Coke should be recognizing this. It would be no different in any other country for their Holidays or Holy Days. If Coke wants to use them to sell product the recognition of the day should be on the can.

[ 12-14-2005, 08:06 AM: Message edited by: BottleBoss ]

Mr Zabe
12-14-2005, 10:21 AM
I agree. IMO,it's the spirit of the season.
In my view,when I see Santa or hear Christmas greetings, it's the universal spirt of season I embrace.

I realize my take on spirituality is not of the norm. I view religions as based on universal concepts....love and respect.

jmyjunk
12-14-2005, 02:10 PM
What is the point of the issue?
There are many Holidays during this period they(stores, companies etc) say Happy Holidays; Christmas, Thanksgiving, New Years, Chanukah, Kwanza etc.
So what is wrong with saying Happy Holidays?

The true meaning of Christmas has nothing to do with what is said on a can of soda, nor does it mean a cashier at Wal-Mart wishing you anything. Or what a town decorates it's roundabout with.
The true meaning is based on what you feel/believe it is. Not what I say or do, or a store says or does.
Stores are not being Grinch, they want to make money. That is what is comes down to.

And so what if Coke is trying to be inclusive of everyone. Will people stop people from buying Coca Cola products because of what it did not wish them? probably not.

It all about the dollar, now isn't it?

Ok rant over. Happy everything!

[ 12-14-2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: jmyjunk ]

fusion
12-14-2005, 07:34 PM
After the holiday packaging, we are supposed to be getting into the new 3-d can packaging for Coke. And then there will be Olympic packaging for the Winter 2006 Olympics.

ramonazo
12-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Probably Coca-Cola won't release olympic packaging for the winter games worldwide with the exception of Italy where the W.O.G. will take place in Torino, Coke released the Winter Olympic Games cans in U.S. because the winter games took place in Salt Lake City in 2002, same case in Japan when those games took place in Nagano in 1998. But what I'm absolutely sure is that Coke will release in every country conmemorative cans of the FIFA Soccer World Cup in Germany next year...with the exception of U.S...

[ 12-14-2005, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

XLS_04
12-15-2005, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
After the holiday packaging, we are supposed to be getting into the new 3-d can packaging for Coke. And then there will be Olympic packaging for the Winter 2006 Olympics. 3d? isn't it just a "clip-art" picture of a coke can on the carton?

these olmpic packaging you mention are they on the 12oz. cans and 2 liter bottles? or just on the glass bottles?

fusion
12-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Someone else referred to the can as being 3-d. I didn't know how else to describe it, so I just used their description.

The Olympic packing I have seen is on 12 packs. But I would assume it would be on 2L as well - not sure about glass bottles.

DMC
12-15-2005, 12:59 PM
i think the holiday packaging is great. take last year for example: it had santa on them, and they HAD to be gone by christmas, especially in Wal-Mart. that made rotating really suck, and we were still stuck with santa 12 packs. this year, they're polar bear packaging. meaning, they can sit on the shelves through Christmas, and no one will be like, "man, that's a christmas 12 pack, and here it is, january, i'm not getting that, it's old."

so, i like the new packaging for that reason.

fusion
12-20-2005, 10:39 PM
The Coke Olympics site has launched, but it isn't fully activated yet.. Just the home page.

http://olympics.coke.com/landing.do

And, some backdoors to some of the other pages:

http://129.33.95.51/enterCode.do
http://129.33.95.51/howToWin.do
http://129.33.95.51/supportingTheTeam.do
http://129.33.95.51/tellAFriendForm.do

ramonazo
12-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Awesome site!, thanks for the update, fusion!

Wow, I thought Coke wasn't going to launch winter olympic cans... but now I see that those cans will be launched soon...

How did you found the other sections of the site?

[ 12-20-2005, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Ramón Coca-Colero ]

Mello Yello Luver
12-21-2005, 01:18 AM
There is only a Christmas tree. There is no Holiday tree. :rolleyes:

fusion
12-21-2005, 10:11 AM
I kept typing in the first URL until the site was active (before that it just redirected you to the Coke homepage). The other day, it actually let me look at all those pages - but then yesterday, there was just that "coming soon" page. Luckily, I had the other pages in my history.

Mr Zabe
12-21-2005, 12:49 PM
LOL
I was out this morning running all kinds of errands. I said Merry Christmas to everyone.
In the barber shop I said out loud to the whole shop "Merry Christmas".

It felt nice as everyone smiled at me and returned the sediment. Not bad for a non believer, it just felt good sharing some holiday season joy.

Now Coke please give us a real Christmas Can /bottle. Share some joy. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

[ 12-21-2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Mr Zabe ]

DietCokeEnthusiast
12-29-2005, 12:13 AM
I just wished people happy Hanukkah cause Christmas is so tired. I celebrate it, but I don't feel comfortable saying "Happy Christmas" so I just wished happy Hanukkah to everyone.

smile.gif

PepsiBlue
12-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Very intering as Coca-Cola C2 is pictured in that intro to the olympic site

fusion
12-29-2005, 01:40 PM
C2 is still available in some places - Mostly just in 12pk cans, though. I was in Wawa yesterday here in Delaware, and I saw 20oz from Philadelphia Coke as well.

drpep
12-29-2005, 08:43 PM
C2 is showing up in western NY in 12 packs with Feb and March 06 dates.