PDA

View Full Version : Another reason why Coke sucks

Shatter
03-09-2003, 05:01 AM
Check out this link: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=530&e=6&cid=530&u=/ap/20030305/ap_on_bi_ge/coca_cola_salaries

Coke just laid off 1900 people, then gave their chairman a $4 million bonus. Isn't it nice when you've managed your company so badly that they had to fire nearly two thousand people, but instead of being tossed out on your butt you're instead given a fat bonus check? In a perfect world, he would have been FINED $4 million.

FitzgeraldHead
03-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Coke sucks. They always run commercials trying to make it the trendy new thing. No. They sucked before the commercial was made, and they still suck now. I bet the new commercial will be some hip hop artist dinking a coke in his or her SUV. Coke needs to rot.

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-09-2003, 03:40 PM
what concerns me the most: Shares of Coke fell 82 cents, or 2.1 percent, to close at $37.55 in trading Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange (news - web sites). Coke shares are down 21 percent from their close of $47.60 at the same point a year ago.

goddamn. here's to KO!

Orangeman
03-13-2003, 11:45 AM
My house is now a "Coke-Free House".

Tim Kelly
03-13-2003, 01:34 PM
I'm drinking a 20-ounce bottle of dnL, but I still love Surge. tongue.gif

karks88
03-13-2003, 03:52 PM
Well, if they officially pull Citra the way they've done with SURGE, I may not buy any more Coke products. I'm sick of them taking away everything I enjoy...

What REALLY pisses me off is that once they pull Citra, all the stores around here will pretty much be forced to carry Mello Yello (hardly anyone around here does). Then, Coke can brag how Mello Yello sales are up. I mean, it would take a complete moron not to realize why MY sales are up. They take away all of our choices for citrus sodas, then they re-introduce a product that hasn't been in most markets for years. Of course sales are up, it's available in all those markets again...idiots...

Tim Kelly
03-14-2003, 10:47 AM
Furthermore, you can't find Mello Yello in cans or bottles up here in NY. I've seen it on fountain at one Chuck E. Cheese's out on Long Island. Surge is on two fountains at two different 7-11 stores, and one deli in Manhattan has cans of Citra. Some selection! :mad:

RunWithDaLilGuy
03-14-2003, 02:54 PM
mello yello is horrible. it's awful. it failed in michigan once and it's failing again.

XLS_03
03-14-2003, 03:36 PM
I like Mello Yello and Citra equally. Although in Rhode Island they never re released Mello Yello here and Citra is not here either, so Coke currently has no citrus drinks in all but one New England state! Thats kinda funny but sad too.

The one state in New England produces Mello Yello in 12pack cans and 20oz. bottles that is in New Hampshire. I honestly don't know if Citra is still available there though.

karks88
03-14-2003, 04:13 PM
It seems to me like they just introduce products for the hell of it and if it's not an instant success, they ignore it. Coke should be more open to giving cosumers a choice. Why not start selling "rare" brands online? Why not allow people to special order their favorite drink if it's not readily available in their area? People are willing to spend money on their favorite soda, all they need is a chance.

Shatter
03-15-2003, 01:07 AM
Y'know, that sounds like a really good idea, selling rare sodas online. I don't know who would actually do that, maybe Coke headquarters in Atlanta. I'd bet that they could develop a decent little business from that. It wouldn't be mega-profitable, though. That might keep them from putting out the effort. Maybe if they had gotten the idea for it in 1999, in the heyday of the dot-com craze, it might have been something they would be more likely to try. It wouldn't have been the stupidest thing people were selling on the internet back then.

sodasommelier
03-15-2003, 02:29 AM
I think the best compromise here is for all of us to go fetch a few cases of delicious Mexicoke (Mexican Coca-Cola) in glass 355ml returnable bottles. That will more than suffice for whatever Coke desires you may have and it exemplifies our disdain for their Plasticoke!!

I hate to say it but Pepsi is even worse. I don't believe that it's made in glass with a crown cap anywhere in the USA at all right now. Shame on Pepsi!

karks88
03-15-2003, 10:48 AM
SS, I think it would be just the coolest thing if you imported some URGE from Norway smile.gif Of course, it's probably not available in glass :(

Coke could definitely sell hard to find brands online. Right now, they're selling KMX and that's supposedly the first time they have officially sold any of their beverages on the net. There's no reason why SURGE, Tab, Citra, etc couldn't be sold that way.

Hey, even if it weren't a huge moneymaker, just think about the great PR they would get. A huge corporation actually listening to and servicing a consumer's need!?!

Android
03-15-2003, 07:07 PM
SS, BTW - I heard recently that Pepsi is still bottled in glass returnables by two bottlers, I'm not sure which but I'd suspect North Carolina and maybe Memphis, MO. However, they are 10 ounce bottles, and not produced for the retail market, rather for vending machines.

andy

sodasommelier
03-15-2003, 07:51 PM
When I was a kid for Halloween I dressed up as a vending machine once, so I'm game for it if that's the protocall necessary to get the good Pepsi! It's probably just easier to get it from Mexico but I used to go up to Oregon and get the vending machine style 10oz returnables from Pepsi til they discontinued them. I've still got some of the empties; a few times movie producers have rented them for me and then returned them!!

fusion
03-15-2003, 10:05 PM
I have a 4-pack of 12oz "Dew Crew" Mountain Dew from CPG-Pepsi (Atlanta) that expired 10/13/99.. I wonder if they still make glass? This seemed to be a racing themed promotion in a Wally World I visited back then. They also had 12oz Pepsi on the display.

karks88
03-16-2003, 10:25 AM
Well, just as I suspected, when I visited my local Shur Fine store yesterday Citra was nowhere to be found. In it's place, another stack of Fresca :mad:

There was a very nice employee from Coke stocking the shelves and when I asked him about Citra, he was also disappointed, but he thought some local Giant stores in the area may still be carrying it. He didn't seem to think that the batch that expired on 3/10 was the last one made. Needless to say, I'm going to Giant today :cool:

Another interesting tidbit he told me was that he thought Mello Yello was going away! They just re-launched it last year and now it's gone. He was also upset about that one as well. It's kinda sad that the employees don't have any say in the product decisions because it's obvious that this guy and our buddy Fusion know a hell of a lot more about sodas than whoever makes them now.

[ 03-16-2003, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

karks88
03-16-2003, 03:25 PM
I just returned from Giant with their last three 12 packs of Citra. They were all dated 3/10/03 :(

Fixx
03-16-2003, 03:38 PM
You are all talking about brands that have been dead almost from the getgo. Citra, Surge are prime examples. Coke has tried every angle to compete with Squirt but to no avail. As for selling online....

Well you sell online when you feel like you do not have enough availability of the product and there is a segment of the market which you feel you can capture. However, because of Coke being Coke, they have others that sell online for them thus they dont need to pursue that route. Remember, when you talk about availability of a product there is no better distribution system in the US than Coke. In fact, I just read not that long ago that Coke was talking about taking Odwalla through some of its distribution avenues. This should help the overall Coke network because it has very little presence in the health food segment.

Just my 2cents worth.

Later

Shatter
03-17-2003, 01:39 AM
I can't understand why Odwalla needs to charge such ridiculous prices for their products. My store has some of their line, and only a couple of bottles of carrot juice sell. The rest goes out of date and gets thrown out. My store's customers are far too cheap to pay $2.99 for a 12 oz. bottle of Superfood. "Why should I buy a quart of Odwalla Orange Juice for $4.29, when I can pick up a 55 gallon drum of Sunny Delight for a buck?" Our customers don't care that Sunny Delight only has 0.000000000001% juice in it, half of them probably couldn't even spell the word 'organic'. If it were up to me, we'd discontinue the entire line, but the head office makes us get at least some Odwalla products in. In some stores i'm sure it sells well, but around here it's just wasted money and shelf space.

Tim Kelly
03-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by karks88:
SS, I think it would be just the coolest thing if you imported some URGE from Norway smile.gif Of course, it's probably not available in glass :( I would LOVE to get my hands on a can or bottle of Urge! tongue.gif

sodasommelier
03-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Hey you know... in Norway there is alot of glass so you never know!! Hey Surge, you're pretty resourceful. So if you can get me some photos or a sample of bottled Urge and gather up some demand... I'll see what I can do smile.gif

In the meantime I do have Dutch "Schweppes American Ginger Ale" in 200ml glass deposit bottles; how do you like them apples?

karks88
03-18-2003, 09:40 AM
SS, here is the only pic I have of an URGE bottle:

http://www.karks.com/surge/urgebottle.jpg

I'll take 5000 cases, lol ;)

Tim Kelly
03-18-2003, 11:11 AM
SURGE IS BROWN IN NORWAY????????
Ahem... One of the biggest complaints I heard from people when I wanted them to try Surge was that is was green. Maybe they associated it with spinach? I think it would have been more successful here in the states if it'd been colored brown. Why people are more apt to drink something that is ****-colored is beyond me, but hey, if it works... tongue.gif

karks88
03-18-2003, 01:02 PM
I know, the color of URGE was shocking to me. It doesn't look quite as tasty but if it tastes like it's American cousin, I'd be one happy camper smile.gif

drpep
03-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Whats that big phallic thing in the bottle :confused: :confused: ? An air bubble?

karks88
03-18-2003, 03:19 PM
I kinda think the person who sent that picture to me used a scanner instead of a camera. That probably explains the air bubble, not sure if it affected the color.

SS, I don't think it's available in glass anywhere but I'd be eternally grateful to get some in any package possible!

[ 03-18-2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

Shatter
03-18-2003, 04:26 PM
One of the things that really stood out about Surge for me was it's totally unnatural color. Some shades of green I can sort of understand, but Surge's color was too day-glo flourescent. I suppose it would be okay if you had a black light bulb in your fridge.....

karks88
03-18-2003, 05:46 PM
I imagine Pepsi would have never thought to make a Blue soda if it weren't for SURGE smile.gif Although, I doubt Coke wants to take credit for that one...

sodasommelier
03-19-2003, 01:30 AM
Oh, man!! I don't know what to say!!

Well, gee I think a glass bottle would be an improvement. Anyway, if I hear of a way to get URGE I'll let you know. If it were in glass it'd sure be a more interesting venue for me, but from time to time I come across all sorts of stuff so it's now engrained in my mind, just in case.. smile.gif

karks88
03-19-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks SS! I'll bet that Avery & I (not to mention countless SURGE fans we talk to) will do our best to keep your inventory low and your profits high. At least, I know I'll buy tons of the stuff smile.gif

[ 03-19-2003, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: karks88 ]

Tim Kelly
03-19-2003, 10:59 AM
Yes, please keep me in mind! :D

teamtitan512
05-22-2003, 11:08 PM
When you think about it Coke and Pepsi reminds me of McDonald's and Burger King. Both have a stronghold product they depend on, and constantly try to copy the other one's seeking glory.

Pepsi has Mountain Dew, and Coke is seeking a citrus. Coke has Sprite, and Pepsi seeked a lemon lime. It tried for 7-Up, but never could get it, so then went for Sierra Mist, which now being nationally recognized, makes me think it is a success, and Pepsi has found a good imitation. Coke really hasn't found that in citrus, Surge is gone, Citra is almost, and Fresca's sure not going to do it, since it tastes awful. If any brand is going to go national, it's got to be Mello Yello, and it's got to be with the Cherry and Melon flavor extensions, or a completely new product.

JACK
05-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Where was Sierra Missed nationally recognized?? How was it recognized?? Interesting if you do the real numbers and back out the new dumped 7Up areas what would the Missed volume be?? Wawa, a 300+ c-store operation based near Philadelphi, delisted Missed after 1 year and Pepsi had to repurchase the cooler space

It will be interesting to see who and where Missed is being recognized by. It follows the same route that Pibb and Sprite do. Imagine if these brands did not have big brother Classic to protect and force availability..imagine if they had to stand alone as a company like 7Up. A much different market would exist.

karks88
05-23-2003, 04:47 PM
That's a very good point Jack. Where would those secondary brands be without something giant propping them up? Kind of how Microsoft can make a huge mistake and continually lose money with their MSN service and yet not seem very affected by it. Instead they just keep pushing it out there...

teamtitan512
05-23-2003, 07:25 PM
What I meant was you can buy Sierra Mist just about anywhere in the country. With Coke and Citrus, you can find Mello Yello, Fresca, Surge, Citra, nothing at all, Squirt, Sun Drop, and the flavor extensions of Mello Yello. It's like the uncertainty of Pepsi throughout the years, w/Sierra Mist, Storm, Slice Lemon Lime, 7Up, and Teem, or nothing at all. Both have went through this type of process finding a brand that works, Pepsi may have found one (although locally, I think dropping 7Up for Sierra Mist was idiotic). Coke needs to find a citrus to go nationwide with is what I'm saying.

I agree Pibb or Sprite would be nothing w/o big corporate Coke backing, and the same goes for Mountain Dew with Pepsi. I personally think Pepsi is going to hurt their relations badly w/DPSU by dropping 7UP for Sierra Mist and that's why Mr. Green was created (also for non Pepsi Pepper franchised areas). I think what may happen is DPSU will end up pulling Dr Pepper from all Pepsi bottlers, and end up letting DPSU almost nationally control it, which would mean 3 solid bottlers country-wide. Mr. Green, like Sierra Mist, is a bad product, but I think eventually Mr. Green will end up national.

datruth
05-23-2003, 11:38 PM
Most of Dr Pepper sales come from Coke bottlers.

I don't think Papsi cares they just don't want coke to sell it.

fusion
05-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Having a big brand to prop you up can work wonders. Just look at the water category. Aquafina and Dasani rule the roost. I know that when Dasani first came out, CCE wanted it in every cooler, no exception.

I doubt a brand like Pibb Xtra or Mello Yello could survive on it's own. Just having the brand in a Coke cooler or on a Coke display will mean that you'll get some sales.

SURGE
05-24-2003, 09:05 PM
As a SURGE fan who would love to see it come back I think that Coke has made a huge mistake with Mello Yello. So they were dissapointed with SURGE sales? Why not create a new brand, they do it all the time. Mello Yello was an old has been brand that failed decades ago. To reincarnate it was a stupid decision. It never sold well and it never will sell well. If Coke doesnt wanna take SURGE back they ought to atleast dump Yello and come up with something new. Yello has to my knowledge so far had 3 failed extensions atleast around here; diet, mellon, and cherry have all gone by the wayside. I can't understand how Coke could justify an extension to an underpreforming brand. I love mellon too so I don't mean to rip on Yello other than to just say it doesnt sell.

Shatter
05-25-2003, 12:30 AM
The Coke sales rep for my store told me that they tried Mello Yello out in the Dallas/Fort Worth area three times, just trying to generate a little interest in it. But it never took off, so it's officially dead here. The only place in the Metroplex where you can get it now is at the Steak & Shake restaurant chain. They put Mello Yello on the menu after Surge was killed.

[ 05-24-2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

karks88
05-25-2003, 10:29 AM
Sometimes I wonder if they have a clue what they're doing with citrus drinks. They are NEVER going to outsell Mountain Dew in our lifetimes, they should just realize that now. Mello Yello isn't a huge seller but it does have a dedicated following. Ditto SURGE and Citra. Place all three out there with Fresca and even though you won't beat Dew, you are giving people the best line of citrus choices out there and maybe build some loyalty.

bigrich
05-25-2003, 03:46 PM
A quick report from my vacation in South Florida, Citra went bye-bye down here. I can't understand it. I was hoping to have this delicious bevereage. I cannot understand why CCE has stopped Citra here. The last time I was here they had at least three facings in all the stores. One nice note they do have Fanta Berry and Pineapple.

teamtitan512
05-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Thing is they're dropping or they don't have Mello Yello in a lot of areas. Surge and Citra are as good as dead, technically meaning Coke doesn't hardly even have a citrus anymore. Fresca is it, and it's diet piss basically.

Coke needs something new, or they're going to have to nationally put out Mello Yello, since it's the only one in my opinion with a chance of surviving.

Shatter
05-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Fresca is one of those old-timer drinks, like Tab. Those two just will not die. In fact, Fresca is one of the few drinks available in 6-pack 16.9 oz. bottles. There's only 6 or 7 other drinks they bottle that way.

fusion
05-25-2003, 11:39 PM
Fresca 16.9 6 packs are in our ordering computers, but they have yet to show up in the warehouse. Then again, Sprite Remix and Diet Vanilla Coke are both in there as well, and nowhere to be seen. I wonder if they really go out and create products and get the authorizations, but then never bottle or can the product.

Here's what we currently have in 16.9:

Coke
Vanilla
Cherry
CF Coke
Diet
Diet w/ Lemon (though it has been out of stock since the reformulation)
CF Diet
Seagram's Ale
Nestea Cool
MM Lemonade
Sprite
Diet Sprite
Dasani

Consolidated has a more limited lineup, but they do have Mello Yello 16.9. Coke bottlers with Dr Pepper rights usually have Dr Pepper 16.9, and sometimes have Diet Dr Pepper.

Old Herbco territory used to sell Barq's and Sunkist 16.9, but most one the ones I saw were either out of date, or about to go out of date. They both disappeared after the CCE buyout.

I've also seen MM Orange (a few years ago in Florida).

CCE also sold Fruitopia in 16.9 4 packs for a little while, but they bombed.

Consolidated also sells 12 packs of 16.9, but just Coke, Diet, CF Diet, Sprite, and Dasani. They're in a pretty cool looking box with openings on all four sides so you can see the bottles.

I'd like to see a deeper selection in 16.9, since I think it is the perfect size bottle. It fits in most cupholders perfectly. Though it is a pain that the date code is only two months, as opposed to three months for other plastic.

Shatter
05-26-2003, 01:41 AM
Here they bottle Coke, Diet, Caff. Free, and Sprite. And since my store's shrunk the shelf space for 6-pack bottles, they usually (but not always) have Fresca, Diet with Lemon, and Nestea. We've never had Lemonade or Seagram's, or most of the others on your list.

sundrop
05-26-2003, 04:19 PM
consolidated will start selling 12pk 12oz bottles in fridge packs next month. we were told about them last week. we already have dasani in them. flavors will be limited to coke, diet coke, cf diet coke, and sprite. maybe dr pepper??

teamtitan512
05-26-2003, 08:02 PM
Here Central Coke offers Coke, Diet Coke, CF Diet Coke, Vanilla Coke, Sprite, Seagram's, Minute Maid Lemonade, Nestea Cool, and Dasani in 6 pack 1/2 liters. Mello Yello was offered, but has since been dropped.

What I can't seem to figure out is why Seagram's is in that plain bottle like you'd find a DPSU product, considering Coke owns Seagram's. It's the one w/no design, and it's what Dr Pepper in Pittsburgh is in, and what Sunkist, Squirt, Welch's were in (and what Canada Dry is still in) in the former Herbco territory.

fusion
05-26-2003, 09:22 PM
It's commonly referred to as the angle bottle. It's very frequently used by Coke bottlers who bottle Dr Pepper. I've also seen the various ginger ales (Seagrams, Schweppes, Canada Dry) in that bottle when distributed by a Coke bottler. A few times I've seen RC Winchester sell some stuff in the angle bottle as well.

I think the angle bottle looks a lot better than the generic DPSU bottle. And for the record, I've never seen a Pepsi bottler use it for Schweppes or Dr Pepper.

fusion
05-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Davis Beverages (DPSU bottler) in the Allentown area uses the generic DPSU bottle (isn't that called the splash bottle?) with their 20oz and 16.9oz.

teamtitan512
05-27-2003, 05:47 PM
What did RC Winchester have in the angle bottles? I live in RC Winchester territory and have never seen anything like this around here.

It should be noted PBG here has started producing Schweppes in 24 oz. 6 pack bottles along with Pepsi products, Mountain Dew, Dr Pepper, and Sierra Mist.

KanKing
05-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Oh come on guys, Coca Cola is a great company. They produce high quality products and care about their customers! I mean, look at all the free signs they give out all over Mexico! Tents, chairs, all kinds of stuff. Would this come from a company that did not care about their customers? Hell No! They even use Aluminum Cans. How couuld you get better than that? MMMMmmmmmmm, High Fructose Corn Syrup Sweetener, MMMMMmmmmmmm. They are true pioneers in the sode industry, always helping the little guys. Yea, Coke, makes you feel good inside when you think about them.

[ 05-27-2003, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: KanKing ]

Shatter
05-28-2003, 12:43 AM
That good feeling you've got there is probably the onset of acid reflux......

fusion
05-28-2003, 01:52 AM
It was Sunny Delight in 6pk 20oz. It may have been packed by someone else... I can't remember, to be honest.

Terry K
05-28-2003, 05:33 AM
I can get my hands on 16.9 oz:

Coke
Dr Pepper
Diet Coke
CF Diet Coke
Sprite
DP
Diet DP

I've seen Cherry Coke and Pibb (and Xtra) in Kansas City.

Pepsi does a limited amount of 16.9 ozs here, they only have the 12 pks with Dew, Diet Dew, Pepsi, Diet and Sierra Mist. (They do sell DP in some areas in this packaing too...those come in the angle bottles, and that botttler is Pepsi Americas!)

Terry K
05-28-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by fusion:
It's commonly referred to as the angle bottle. It's very frequently used by Coke bottlers who bottle Dr Pepper. I've also seen the various ginger ales (Seagrams, Schweppes, Canada Dry) in that bottle when distributed by a Coke bottler. A few times I've seen RC Winchester sell some stuff in the angle bottle as well.

I think the angle bottle looks a lot better than the generic DPSU bottle. And for the record, I've never seen a Pepsi bottler use it for Schweppes or Dr Pepper.In Kansas City, Pepsi Americas has Dr Pepper, and they do indeed use the angle bottle but only for the 16.9 oz Dr Pepper. That's the one and only time I've seen a Pepsi bottler use it.

The 20/24/1L bottles of DP are available only in the standard Pepsi bottles.

teamtitan512
05-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Almost has to be I'd say. Any Sunny Delight I've seen here has been in splash bottles.

Pepsi here only sells 1/2 liters at Wal-Mart in 12 packs, and only in Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, and Sierra Mist (which is only available in 1 of 2 Wal-Marts)

XLS_03
09-14-2003, 04:20 AM
Is Coke pushing these 24oz. 6 packs??? Because from what it looks like there going to go national with the 13.2 oz. 12 packs instead. Still Pepsi gives a better value.

bigrich
09-14-2003, 10:06 AM
I would rather buy the smaller bottles myself. I don't care about value to the extent that the 24oz'ers are easily wasted or become flat.

RunWithDaLilGuy
09-14-2003, 12:53 PM
in michigan coke is finally making the push and getting rid of 16.9's