PDA

View Full Version : RC Cola 1905-2005

Android
02-21-2005, 04:19 AM
RC has been stating on their containers "Great taste since 1905" for some time now.

(That's not exactly true, because RC Cola didn't come about in name or formula til around 1934. It was the predecessor Royal Crown Chero-Cola, which had a different formula, that the 1905 date refers to.)

Anyway, since RC has been promoting that 1905 date, I don't suppose that means that the powers that be at DPSU/Cadbury Schweppes plan on anything special for the "100 year" anniversary?

Somehow I doubt it, as RC Cola seems to be a forgotten product these days. It the only non-diet cola I care for in modern aluminum and PET containers. I wish they would promote it more.

andy

Shatter
02-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Dang, man, I read the heading "RC Cola 1905-2005", I thought that RC Cola was being discontinued or something. I can't imagine a world without Cherry RC!

DPSU here makes a lot of their top drinks from their lines in 12oz. longnecks. They're always doing promotional stuff with Dr Pepper, but RC Cola always has the exact same label. I'm going to have to keep my eye on them now, just in case they do promote it's 100th year anniversary.

fusion
02-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Is Cherry RC in longnecks?

I just emailed CSAB, asking if they have anything planned for RC's anniversary. I'll let y'all know what they say in response.

Shatter
02-22-2005, 05:25 PM
The only time I can find Cherry RC is when I go to Louisiana to visit my sister and her family. I usually bring back two or three 6-packs. They don't have glass longnecks down there.

fusion
02-22-2005, 08:47 PM
Where in Lousiana? I was considering taking a road trip this year, possibly ending up in Baton Rouge.

Shatter
02-23-2005, 10:02 PM
You'll find them in Baton Rouge. Along with longneck Barq's Root Beer, and 20 oz. bottles of Barq's Red Creme and French Vanilla Creme Soda. Also, keep your eye out for Abita Root Beer, a really good local brew. In fact, there's an Abita brew pub in Covington, Louisiana, where they cook with root beer. I'd always wanted to go there, when my sister lived just a few miles away, but she's since moved about an hour away.

Oh, forgot to mention, you'll probably find a few flavors of Nehi, too.

[ 02-23-2005, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Shatter
03-01-2005, 12:38 AM
Also, keep your eye out for Barq's Floatz.

fusion
03-05-2005, 10:30 PM
I finally received a reply to my email. They assured me they do have plans to celebrate the anniversary, but no further details were available.

fusion
04-01-2005, 11:49 PM
I was reading Beverage Industry magazine today, and they had a blurb that states the following:

The Dr Pepper Museum in Waco, Texas will celebrate RC Cola's 100th Anniversary on April 23rd with RC & Moon Pie Madness, a family festival that will feature Moon Pie races, a "Texas-sized" Moon Pie, a Moon Pie eating contest, and the crowning of Mr. and Mrs. Moon Pie. Admission to the museum will be free for the day.

BottleBoss
04-03-2005, 10:50 PM
Yea, celebrate soda pop by eating moon pies. I see the connection there!..................NOT!

turtleboy
04-03-2005, 11:16 PM
http://www.bellbucklechamber.com/rcmoon.html

fusion
04-03-2005, 11:59 PM
RC and Moon Pies have a long history together.

drpep
04-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by BottleBoss:
Yea, celebrate soda pop by eating moon pies. I see the connection there!..................NOT! Geez you're in West Virginia, I thought that was a hillbilly staple:D

CherryRCJunkie
04-11-2005, 01:23 AM
I've been unable to find Cherry RC in any of the local stores in the Chicagoland area for the past few months. It was always right next to the regular RC cola and now I don't even see a price marker on the shelves.

I ran across a Dr Pepper truck driver who said he hasn't seen it in a few months and doesn't think they make it anymore.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? My email to Cadbury has apparently fallen on deaf ears. I cannot imagine that the can I had a few days ago would be my last ever. I truly would have cherished it even more had I known that would be the last.

CherryRC Junkie

bigrich
04-11-2005, 01:46 AM
Yes, the product is still being made but ABC in Northlake bought the rights for RC from RC Bottling Company of Chicago a few months ago. ABC does not make Cherry RC. I bought some a week ago from All-American Bottlers out of Louisville. It is still being made, just not in Chicagoland anymore.

Sea bass
05-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Anybody see any special edition anniversary cans or bottles yet?? I hope RC does something! I love this stuff! 100 years is pretty damn good!